Max skill ranks

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Major Tom
Weasel

Re: Max skill ranks

Postby Major Tom » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:48 pm

The idea of the AP system is that it sits alongside the formal education system rather than replacing it (harking back to Megatraveller again :) ). It could replace it of course, but that's not the intent.
Kaelic
Mongoose

Postby Kaelic » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 am

I took some liberty to make some edits (difficulties, wording, adding examples). I personally am going to test this approach with my players and I feel it strikes a really good balance.

Learning Through Experience

The Referee can award Advancement Points (AP) for a skill in play where he feels that a character could have learned something through experience or observation. A character can have up to three AP on any given skill. A player may improve any of his character's skills that have AP. To do so the player makes an EDU check with the following difficulties:

(Example is with a 0+ EDU modifier)

Gain a new skill at 0: Difficult (27.78% / 41.67% / 58.33%)
Increase a skill from 0 to 1: Very Difficult (8.3% / 16.67% / 27.78%)
Increase a skill from 1 to 2: Very Difficult (8.3% / 16.67% / 27.78%)
Increase a skill from 2 to 3: Formidable (0% / 2.78% / 8.3%)
Increase a skill from 3 to 4: Formidable (0% / 2.78% / 8.3%)
Increase a skill from 4 to 5: Formidable (0% / 2.78% / 8.3%)

The APs associated with the skill are applied to the roll as a DM and are removed regardless of the roll's success or failure.

Awarding AP is entirely up to the Referee which allows them to dictate the progress of Travellers (if any). The Referee might award them for completing adventures, heroic feats or time spent studying and practicing.

Examples where Referee’s might award AP:
A player is caught in the act stealing from a crime boss and his only option is to bluff his way out of it with Deception, but he’s not trained. He takes his chances and by a stroke of luck, deceives the goons and gets out. The referee is impressed with his heroic task check and awards the player with an AP for Deception, figuring he learned a thing or two.

A player is on a long-cruise and will spend many weeks in space. He brought along Programming for Dummies to work on his Computer skill. He spends 24 weeks in total studying the book, and the referee awards him an AP in Computers for what he learned.

A team of Travellers just rescued the space princess from a group of space pirates. It was a multi-week adventure to track them down, infiltrate them and fight their way out. They had to use a variety of the skills as a team to pull it off. The Referee awards one player a Gun Combat AP for all the work they did in the escape; awards another player an Investigate AP for their efforts in tracking down the pirate base and finally the final player with a Mechanics AP for the crucial repairs on their ship that enabled the escape.
Last edited by Kaelic on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:52 am

Kaelic wrote: I took some liberty to make some edits (difficulties, wording, adding examples). I personally am going to test this approach with my players and I feel it strikes a really good balance.
Nice. I would buy it.

Kaelic wrote: Learning Through Experience

The GM can award Advancement Points (AP) for a skill in play where he feels that a character could have learned something through experience or observation.
While I use GM all the time, in this case I would change this to Referee to match the rest of your write up. :wink:
Kaelic
Mongoose

Postby Kaelic » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:40 am

-Daniel- wrote:While I use GM all the time, in this case I would change this to Referee to match the rest of your write up. :wink:
Oh yup! Missed that from the copy-and-paste. Fixed it.
Last edited by Kaelic on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Kaelic wrote: Oh yup! Missed that from the copy-and-paste. Fixed it.
Good write up. I would like to use it for my table and see the players reactions.
OculusMortis
Cub

Postby OculusMortis » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:13 pm

Honestly love this system, really addresses the Issue of varying across different GM's campaigns, and comes closest to keeping everyone happy I Imagine. Still not a fan of the EDU over reliance, but that seems to be written in stone by designer fiat.
egoaz2ca
Weasel

Postby egoaz2ca » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:27 pm

My only revision that I would make on Kaelic's system is that the loss of the APs on fail seems too harsh. I would say the that the Traveller can't make another check until they would earn another AP in that skill. If the AP count is already 3, then it only opens the gate, not bring it to 4.
Nerhesi
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Nerhesi » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:18 am

Those learning times need to go down by magnitude or so... completely unrealistic times for the vast majority of the active physical skills in traveller (pilot, gun combat, gunnery) and a slew of others. Last comment by matt was something to the affect of 8 weeks a learning period - so I'm waiting for that change. Unless I'm looking at the wrong core rule book version?
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:02 pm

It will indeed be 8 weeks for the study period - got missed out in the last update will be present in the final book!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com