Max skill ranks

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Max skill ranks

Postby JRoss » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Can't believe I didn't think about this before, but do Rank 0 skills count against the maximum (INT+EDU)? I imagine that they don't, but there is a mechanical benefit to having a skill at 0.
Freelance S&P Traveller contributor
Squirrel - Your Best Friend
Fox - Beware of Lies

Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die!
Thunderegg Productions
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Max skill ranks

Postby AndrewW » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:35 pm

JRoss wrote:Can't believe I didn't think about this before, but do Rank 0 skills count against the maximum (INT+EDU)? I imagine that they don't, but there is a mechanical benefit to having a skill at 0.
No, they don't count. Might be something that needs to be made clearer.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:58 pm

JRoss wrote:Can't believe I didn't think about this before, but do Rank 0 skills count against the maximum (INT+EDU)? I imagine that they don't, but there is a mechanical benefit to having a skill at 0.
No, they don't. Once you've reached the limits of your abilities and picked up all the skill levels you can, you can still pick up basic level 0 competence in new skills and in cascades.

Also, check the new limits on the number of skill levels you can pick up. If you have a high INT + EDU, that is a serious amount of skill levels.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:24 pm

JRoss wrote:do Rank 0 skills count against the maximum (INT+EDU)?
That's not the maximum. Where did you read that?
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Postby JRoss » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Yes, I meant to write triple. I knew that it's triple. Sorry.
Freelance S&P Traveller contributor
Squirrel - Your Best Friend
Fox - Beware of Lies

Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die!
Thunderegg Productions
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Do the rules state what do to when you reach the maximum skill levels during career generation?

Say I have a character in his 5th Term. He has a 10 for Max Skill Ranks. But during his 5th term he gains skill levels that would take him to 11 or 12. Do I have to decide right then, what to swap around, or can I wait until the end of character creation to decide where to cut?

Personally, I think it is cleaner to wait until the end of character creation, so a Player can decide to cut from Mechanical-4 to Mechanical-2 or Astrogation-4 to Astrogation-2 or drop each to Level-3.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:35 pm

10 seems low for a 3 x (INT + EDU) number. If it is, in fact, the right number, great job getting to 5th term. The limitation goes in when you are looking to do some training for your character.

Let me look again.... so if your totaled skill levels will be higher than the total, no more skills for you.
Last edited by ShawnDriscoll on Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:Say I have a character in his 5th Term. He has a 10 for Max Skill Ranks
What are his INT and EDU? 5 each?

Nowadays, even with INT 5 and EDU 5, a Traveller can learn a maximum of thirty skill levels.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
DickNervous
Stoat

Postby DickNervous » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Even if you roll a 2 for both INT and EDU you still get 12 skill levels. And since it says skill levels in the book, then 0 level skills wouldn't count.
----------------------------
Rich 'DickNervous' Neves
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Nervoused.com
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:50 pm

DickNervous wrote:Even if you roll a 2 for both INT and EDU you still get 12 skill levels. And since it says skill levels in the book, then 0 level skills wouldn't count.
Zero skills show up for home skills and basic training. I don't think they show up after that during chargen... double checking...
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:13 pm

They're brought up again during the Training section. Characters can learn level zero skills at any time, and they can only learn level zero skills once they hit the limit of their 3 x (INT + EDU) in skill levels.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:19 pm

alex_greene wrote:They're brought up again during the Training section. Characters can learn level zero skills at any time, and they can only learn level zero skills once they hit the limit of their 3 x (INT + EDU) in skill levels.
Yep. My characters don't last long enough to train in anything.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:25 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
alex_greene wrote:They're brought up again during the Training section. Characters can learn level zero skills at any time, and they can only learn level zero skills once they hit the limit of their 3 x (INT + EDU) in skill levels.
Yep. My characters don't last long enough to train in anything.
Bear in mind that a polymath with a handful of skills all at level 5 is just as killable as a rookie fresh out of boot; if they both have 777777, the genius is no more immune to a hail of bullets than the freshman, and it takes exactly the same amount of physical effort to send them both to adjacent slabs in the local morgue.

The others were discussing making the limit 1 x [INT + EDU], but I argued that it should be kept at the value seen.

Alternative caps were considered, such as a soft cap e.g. new skills beyond level 0 taking a full month to learn per EDU rather than a week, once the character reaches his limit; but this discussion was only, like, last Monday - a bit late - so I argued passionately to keep the limit as written, and put any alternatives - such as soft caps, higher or lower skill level limits, limits on individual skills rather than on total levels, points build, Iron Man and so on - in the Traveller Companion.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:35 pm

alex_greene wrote:The others were discussing making the limit 1 x [INT + EDU], but I argued that it should be kept at the value seen.
That's fine, if your playing Classic traveller where you're lucky if you get more than 6 skills.

The '70s are over though. Mongoose needs its 3 x [INT + EDU] for skill levels. Levels, and not skills.
CosmicGamer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CosmicGamer » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:01 am

DickNervous wrote:Even if you roll a 2 for both INT and EDU you still get 12 skill levels.
And in my opinion, I see nothing wrong with someone this low being somewhat limited.

I think the core rules should go into some detail as to how to handle things when one reaches the max.
Can you drop a skill, or level in a skill to learn something new?
Do you track the skills gained past your max in case you improve INT or EDU during chargen or when mustering out?

Perhaps ways to Increase EDU during game play should be discussed. This may be something for the Traveller Companion
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:13 am

CosmicGamer wrote:
DickNervous wrote:Even if you roll a 2 for both INT and EDU you still get 12 skill levels.
And in my opinion, I see nothing wrong with someone this low being somewhat limited.

I think the core rules should go into some detail as to how to handle things when one reaches the max.
Can you drop a skill, or level in a skill to learn something new?
Do you track the skills gained past your max in case you improve INT or EDU during chargen or when mustering out?

Perhaps ways to Increase EDU during game play should be discussed. This may be something for the Traveller Companion
I think the Traveller Companion will go into that. It will handle homeworld skills also.
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:54 am

So at this point there is no limit to the number of skills a character could have at level zero?

(EDU 7 + INT 7 )3 = 42 levels and then I can add an unlimited number of level zero skills?

This feels odd to me. Not wrong just odd.

I need to let this stew in my brain for a day or so. Maybe it is the reaction to change I am feeling.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:03 am

-Daniel- wrote:So at this point there is no limit to the number of skills a character could have at level zero?

(EDU 7 + INT 7 )3 = 42 levels and then I can add an unlimited number of level zero skills?

This feels odd to me. Not wrong just odd.

I need to let this stew in my brain for a day or so. Maybe it is the reaction to change I am feeling.
You mean does it make Jack of all Trades 3 kind of useless? I'll have to do some simulated runs...
DickNervous
Stoat

Postby DickNervous » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:34 am

Maybe, but the amount of game time it would take to acquire every skill at level 0 would be prohibitive. After all, if there is a cost associated with it the character has to make some money somewhere, which means they couldn't be studying all the time.
----------------------------
Rich 'DickNervous' Neves
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Nervoused.com
vladthemad
Mongoose

Postby vladthemad » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Reading the new rules for learning new skills on p. 51, I'm surprised they changed them from the previous. The thing to remember is that if your party has a ship they will be spending every other week in jump space usually. Let's say there's a few weeks they stick around a planet to sort out a long adventure, that's still likely to be 20 weeks spent in jump space with little more to do than surf the ship's computer and learn new skills. So you could possible be picking up 20 level 0 or level 1 skills in a year.