Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15163
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby MongooseMatt » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:25 pm

A new Traveller has arrived, the product of many years tweaking, adjusting and listening to the thousands of players who have travelled the universe of the Far Future.

Available as a beta playtest PDF, the Traveller Core Rulebook is a 248 page adventure into the Far Future that you can directly influence over the next few months. You can grab your copy here;

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/156 ... te_id=7242

Image

Travel to the Far Future and start exploring.

Image
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2317
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Burbank, CA

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby -Daniel- » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:27 pm

Just finished downloading it. Thank You!
JRoss
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby JRoss » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:06 pm

Snagged.
Freelance S&P Traveller contributor
Squirrel - Your Best Friend
Fox - Beware of Lies

Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die!
Thunderegg Productions
Stargazer
Cub
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby Stargazer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:29 pm

The beta playtest rulebook is amazing. I am currently leafing through it and I am more than pleased so far. The artwork could need some improvement (I guess the images are still placeholders), but the new layout is totally awesome. I'll definitely get the hardcover book when it's out!
The revamped rules look great so far. I can't wait to start playtesting. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Golan2072
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:50 am
Location: Yavne, Israel
Contact:

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby Golan2072 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:51 pm

Downloaded to my tablet... Now easy to read on the go.
We are but a tiny candle flickering against the darkness of our times.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3438
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:20 pm
Location: Arlington, TX USA

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:57 pm

Downloaded and drooling...
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3842
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby alex_greene » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:12 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:Downloaded and drooling...
Might I direct you to some of the juicier highlights?

Take a look at the Common Spacecraft section, beginning on page 165. I hope the ships there are to your liking. We also have a most delicious selection of vehicles in Chapter Six, page 129.

And we have a most delectable menu of equipment beginning on page 91 which will leave you positively breathless with wonder.

Right this way, sir.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1553
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby wbnc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:18 pm

Well got the beta, it looks good, most of the material isn't that far off from existing rules. A few nice adds in the skills, and combat area...Will have to see the starship construction rules for power ratings etc... before I cry, bang my head on the desk and start the rewrites..

I am glad to see they have included rules for close combat( dog fighting) between vehicles, and starships etc...and some tweaks to give fixed weapons same limitation in that sort of combat.

University and military college is a nice add for an extra career option :D

the artwork is good for visual references...... cant wait to see more. I definitely like the more visually detailed deck plans,.


And the T-type is BACK!!!! now called a Patrol Corvette....and it seems the much maligned Corsair is out.....probably in the shop for rebuild.

I'll see about getting some folks to go through a few playtests locally and see how the changes work.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4392
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby AndrewW » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:25 pm

wbnc wrote:Well got the beta, it looks good, most of the material isn't that far off from existing rules. A few nice adds in the skills, and combat area...Will have to see the starship construction rules for power ratings etc... before I cry, bang my head on the desk and start the rewrites..
It's coming, just have to wait a little longer.
wbnc wrote:And the T-type is BACK!!!! now called a Patrol Corvette....and it seems the much maligned Corsair is out.....probably in the shop for rebuild.
In order to make room for more rules stuff not all ships made it in, such as the heavy freighter.
vladthemad
Mongoose
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:33 am

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby vladthemad » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Sweet...I'll pick up a copy. I can't wait to start complaining about everything! ;)
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4392
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby AndrewW » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:02 pm

vladthemad wrote:Sweet...I'll pick up a copy. I can't wait to start complaining about everything! ;)
Complain away. Constructive comments are welcome, they can help make the product better.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3438
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:20 pm
Location: Arlington, TX USA

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:21 pm

alex_greene wrote:
Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:Downloaded and drooling...
Might I direct you to some of the juicier highlights?

Take a look at the Common Spacecraft section, beginning on page 165. I hope the ships there are to your liking. We also have a most delicious selection of vehicles in Chapter Six, page 129.

And we have a most delectable menu of equipment beginning on page 91 which will leave you positively breathless with wonder.

Right this way, sir.
I will be digging through the world building stuff too, believe it!
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1553
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby wbnc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:19 pm

AndrewW wrote:
wbnc wrote:Well got the beta, it looks good, most of the material isn't that far off from existing rules. A few nice adds in the skills, and combat area...Will have to see the starship construction rules for power ratings etc... before I cry, bang my head on the desk and start the rewrites..
It's coming, just have to wait a little longer.
wbnc wrote:And the T-type is BACK!!!! now called a Patrol Corvette....and it seems the much maligned Corsair is out.....probably in the shop for rebuild.
In order to make room for more rules stuff not all ships made it in, such as the heavy freighter.
I'm patient.......arrrgggghhhhhhh no I'm not!!! I want it nowwwwwwwwww :P Joking, I was advised it would be a bit before I had those rules to work with.

I also figured this want the full set of stuff....I know the minions in the workshop are probably still busy at work.
User avatar
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3578
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby Reynard » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:54 pm

Picked up my copy a little unsure what to expect. It's very familiar and that's good.

A lot to analyze and digest. I browsed mostly. What caught my eye was the new Power rules for ships. Looks like the dimming tradition comes back for some vessels. Love the idea of power management. Need to read the ship combat rules carefully and see what changes are made and how the power rules effect it. My aslan engineer is most curious.

Making High Guard the ship book including ship construction is a great idea. I'm assuming this is going to be true with other books so we get the basics in the core and more advanced rules concentrated together rather than spread over many books. The Traveller Companion is tantalizing, I want to see what other alien races will become available.

From reading page 4 in the Core Book, especially the Tour of the Imperium book, will the Traveller game be more separated from 3I becoming another source material rather than integral?

Much more reading to do.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4392
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby AndrewW » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Reynard wrote:Making High Guard the ship book including ship construction is a great idea. I'm assuming this is going to be true with other books so we get the basics in the core and more advanced rules concentrated together rather than spread over many books. The Traveller Companion is tantalizing, I want to see what other alien races will become available.
That was one of my goals with the new High Guard, to be "One book to rule them all" as far as ship construction goes. The majority of options that are currently scattered across the various books have been pulled together. Along with lots of new options of course.
dirklancer
Cub
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby dirklancer » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:06 am

Looks great so far! But am I missing it or is there no blank character sheet available yet?
User avatar
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3013
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:09 am

Dirklancer. Cool name.
Yes, there needs to be one for download.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1553
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby wbnc » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:20 am

AndrewW wrote:
Reynard wrote:Making High Guard the ship book including ship construction is a great idea. I'm assuming this is going to be true with other books so we get the basics in the core and more advanced rules concentrated together rather than spread over many books. The Traveller Companion is tantalizing, I want to see what other alien races will become available.
That was one of my goals with the new High Guard, to be "One book to rule them all" as far as ship construction goes. The majority of options that are currently scattered across the various books have been pulled together. Along with lots of new options of course.
I have to leaf from book to book, and i don't have every book so I don't even have those options available to work with as of now. To do twenty or thirty ships left me with a desk that looked like a bomb went off.

it would be nice to have them all in one place..with more description of several options, and some points better explained.

Most of it's been outlined over in the starship design thread. or various threads on missiles, torpedoes, sand-casters, etc...seems people around here aren't shy about their likes, dislikes, or pet peeves. Guess I should go write those points up in some sort of sane order.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4392
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby AndrewW » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:24 am

wbnc wrote:I have to leaf from book to book, and i don't have every book so I don't even have those options available to work with as of now. To do twenty or thirty ships left me with a desk that looked like a bomb went off.
Fun isn't it? I blame the Hivers.
wbnc wrote:it would be nice to have them all in one place..with more description of several options, and some points better explained.
Some of this has been done.
wbnc wrote:Most of it's been outlined over in the starship design thread. or various threads on missiles, torpedoes, sand-casters, etc...seems people around here aren't shy about their likes, dislikes, or pet peeves. Guess I should go write those points up in some sort of sane order.
Yes and High Guard related stuff posted on the forums over the years has been seen.

Feel free to write stuff up, though you might want to wait till the release of the High Guard playtest stuff as it may have already been covered.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4921
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Traveller Beta Playtest Rulebook

Postby phavoc » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:28 am

I got a copy earlier today and just went through the starship section and the accompanying deckplans.

I haven't done as much detail review as I like, but the whole starship section feels like it's the "lite" version, rather than a core version. And there are some circular references that provide nothing helpful, especially for the new player. I was disappointed that suggestions about errors (for example, the PA weapon has limitations on turreting, but didn't see any mention of that).

I did like the color layout, love the idea finally of power being a limited resource to be managed. Still lots of review and look over to do. Unless the idea is to really build your starships from a future upcoming high guard book, the current version leaves a LOT to be desired. And if the idea is to keep it as is, then it goes against the idea of what the core rulebook is supposed to mean in the first place. So I'm still scratching my head to figure out what kind of direction is supposed to mean.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests