Cosmic Mongoose

If only Traveller had these kind of dice

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:52 pm

AKO makes them. Just not in this color.

allanimal
Banded Mongoose

Re: If only Traveller had these kind of dice

Postby allanimal » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Do they come with instructions on reading the results?
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:29 pm

Ha! At first, I was like what algorithm do I use here. Been playing with virtual ones for some apps I use. I got used to the funky pips pretty quick (after around 30 minutes of doing skill checks). My computer can visually recognize them, too. So that is a plus.
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jeraa » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:31 pm

allanimal wrote:Do they come with instructions on reading the results?
The number of colored pieces on a side are the number. So the top pic has 4, 5 (the top face) and 6. The bottom picture has 1 (the top face), 2, and 3.
vladthemad
Mongoose

Postby vladthemad » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:30 am

I had seen these before, but never saw the picture you posted. Is that what inspired AKO to produce them?

I like the concept, but would never use them. They are machined metal...and I have a set of standard metallic dice I don't use because somehow I just feel someone is going to break something with stuff like that. Someone gets too energetic with the die throw and SMASH there goes your window!
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:59 am

vladthemad wrote:I had seen these before, but never saw the picture you posted. Is that what inspired AKO to produce them?
I believe Shawn's picture was inspired by AKO's dice not the other way around.

And yes Shawn, Black with Red markings would have been super cool.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:04 am

vladthemad wrote:I had seen these before, but never saw the picture you posted. Is that what inspired AKO to produce them?
The AKO-produced dice is what inspired me to make this picture.
-Daniel- wrote:And yes Shawn, Black with Red markings would have been super cool.
I'd buy plastic ones if any show up. I don't need them to be metal. And my computer has her own virtual ones that she rolls.
Traveller-61
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Traveller-61 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:23 pm

I got a couple of sets of these as a birthday present and one set was plastic of the "glow-in-the-dark" variety (the others were silver and gold in metal).

Have not had a chance to play test them yet; and I thought that the marks on the "up" face were the number, not the sides. Oh well, learn something new every day :-)

DW
"You were a great Captain!" - Claudia Christian

Some days are better than others, Section Leader!
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Traveller-61 wrote:I thought that the marks on the "up" face were the number, not the sides. Oh well, learn something new every day :-)
Each die generates 3 numbers at a time when rolled. That's why they're so awesome.
Traveller-61
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Traveller-61 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:31 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Traveller-61 wrote:I thought that the marks on the "up" face were the number, not the sides. Oh well, learn something new every day :-)
Each die generates 3 numbers at a time when rolled. That's why they're so awesome.
Thanks for that :D

DW
"You were a great Captain!" - Claudia Christian

Some days are better than others, Section Leader!
nats
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby nats » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:59 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Eh? How is this different to reading a normal dice on the top and sides? Not any different.

I dont see anything awesome about these dice other than they are incredibly difficult to read. I would get fed up with using these in a very short space of time.
6A6AB9, Citizen(Corporate), 8th Term, Rank 3, Cr Enough
Trade(Architecture)3, Art(3d Illustration)2, Computers2, Admin2, Leader1, Drive(Wheeled)1, Advocate1, Art(Painting)1, Flyer0
Comm(TL7), Computer(TL8), Binoculars(TL6), Tent(TL7), Ground Car(TL7)
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:39 pm

nats wrote:
ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Eh? How is this different to reading a normal dice on the top and sides? Not any different.

I dont see anything awesome about these dice other than they are incredibly difficult to read. I would get fed up with using these in a very short space of time.
Woosh! Right over his head. I was referring to the isometric-ness of cubes. I could go into cubism for rolls that show 6 numbers at a time on them.

Anyway, took me about 30 minutes to get used to these dice. My favorite dice now. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8na0jmUr-E for some sample die rolls.
nats
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby nats » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:17 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:Woosh! Right over his head. I was referring to the isometric-ness of cubes. I could go into cubism for rolls that show 6 numbers at a time on them.

Anyway, took me about 30 minutes to get used to these dice. My favorite dice now. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8na0jmUr-E for some sample die rolls.
Oh I see it was a joke. You should have put 'lol' after it and I would have known lol. By the way do you always refer to people in the third person? Its just I noticed in another post in another thread you did the same thing?

The dice are cool but definitely not user friendly, a case of 'form getting in the way of function' I think. I am sure dice could be designed in a better way but this ain't it. But it is of course possible you get used to the patterns after using them for a few days. But the problem would be when you have new people using them.
6A6AB9, Citizen(Corporate), 8th Term, Rank 3, Cr Enough
Trade(Architecture)3, Art(3d Illustration)2, Computers2, Admin2, Leader1, Drive(Wheeled)1, Advocate1, Art(Painting)1, Flyer0
Comm(TL7), Computer(TL8), Binoculars(TL6), Tent(TL7), Ground Car(TL7)
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:06 pm

nats wrote: The dice are cool but definitely not user friendly, a case of 'form getting in the way of function' I think. I am sure dice could be designed in a better way but this ain't it. But it is of course possible you get used to the patterns after using them for a few days. But the problem would be when you have new people using them.
I think you will find the original design was made of metal and was sold for the dice collection market not the real gamer use market. Kick Starter often has such "cool collector" dice on it.

For me, I loved the look and almost bought a pair of the black oxidized ones, but just couldn't bring myself to pay that for just two dice.

I do like Shawn's color scheme better than the real ones though. Looks even more exotic to me. :mrgreen:
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:02 pm

nats wrote:Oh I see it was a joke. You should have put 'lol' after it and I would have known lol. By the way do you always refer to people in the third person? Its just I noticed in another post in another thread you did the same thing?
Maybe. Two post examples could mean an always.
nats wrote:The dice are cool but definitely not user friendly, a case of 'form getting in the way of function' I think. I am sure dice could be designed in a better way but this ain't it. But it is of course possible you get used to the patterns after using them for a few days. But the problem would be when you have new people using them.
You think in binary terms. It's not a "because I use such dice, everyone else in my group has to" thing. Players have their own dice they prefer to use.
-Daniel- wrote:I do like Shawn's color scheme better than the real ones though. Looks even more exotic to me. :mrgreen:
I never saw that description of the dice before on AKO's site. So, they did put up a translation for their dice faces. Cool. I'm not a fan of metal dice (or metal Rubik's cubes) though. I might be the only one that has a Traveller-colored dice set (they're easy to make though). But trademarking prevents such things from reality probably, in some businesses eyes.
fearnow
Cub

Postby fearnow » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:47 am

I just got my GITD and blue/green metals, but Shawn's are superior.

Perhaps I can take them to a powder coater....except their minimum is like $125usd. :roll:
Mithras
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mithras » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:10 pm

Now they are very nice dice, but I think they will certainly take a bit of getting used too. They do look like they are a prop from an SF movie, and on that basis, I want a pair...
Paul Elliott
HOSTILE: A Gritty SF setting inspired by Alien, Outland and Bladerunner - for Cepheus Engine https://www.paulelliottbooks.com/hostile.html
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:57 am

They look like 6-sided dice without numbers, I don't know what the point would be to having dice like that, where you have to translate the symbols into numbers first before you can add them together and get the result. I think 10-sided dice offer more possibilities.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:32 pm

Mithras wrote:Now they are very nice dice, but I think they will certainly take a bit of getting used too. They do look like they are a prop from an SF movie, and on that basis, I want a pair...
It took me 30 minutes to get used to them.
Tom Kalbfus wrote:They look like 6-sided dice without numbers, I don't know what the point would be to having dice like that, where you have to translate the symbols into numbers first before you can add them together and get the result. I think 10-sided dice offer more possibilities.
I remember having to translate alphanumeric symbols into numbers as a kid, just so I could even begin to write down numbers. Then later, Roman numerals. Even binary and hex numbers into ASCII, etc. Pips on dice in "minimalistic Traveller style" are no prob.