Pluto the only world whose moon doesn't orbit around it!

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Pluto the only world whose moon doesn't orbit around it!

Postby Hopeless » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:48 pm

What with that satellite probe due to arrive near Pluto in about 4 or so days I was wondering what the people here think about it?

Do we talk about the 4th Doctor episode set there or keep to factual information?
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Pluto the only world whose moon doesn't orbit around it!

Postby wbnc » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Technically earths Moon doesn't orbit it..The moon and earth orbit a common point which is not the center of the earths mass... Just saying :D

The planets strange orbit is enough of a curiosity to go and have a look...and yes I did say planet...it was a planet when I was in school, no good astronomers and their piddly details....It would be nice to know if it is a rouge moon, or if it even belongs in this system having started out orbiting halfway to the next star and got knocked/tugged into a closer orbit.

Just getting a probe out to Pluto with enough gear on board to be useful is an achievement. It's a very long cold dark trip out to Pluto, and deep system probes have a terrible track record. Most break down, loose communications, or simply go Poof and are gone.
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Factual information, aye. I have been following the news of New Horizons.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:52 pm

The centerpoint of the Earth-Moon system is still inside the Earth's crust, so it is still reasonable to say that the Moon orbits the Earth. Not the same with Pluto-Charon, the epicenter is above the surface of Pluto, so they both orbit a central point.

Pluto is not a planet - get over it ( :D ). When Juno was first discovered, it was also classified as a planet for about 20 years. Then they found the rest of the Asteroid Belt, and it was appropriately reclassified. Same with Pluto; it is a large Kuiper Belt object, but not a planet. This from guy who had Pluto as a planet for 40+ years of his life. Science advances, we move on.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:51 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:The centerpoint of the Earth-Moon system is still inside the Earth's crust, so it is still reasonable to say that the Moon orbits the Earth. Not the same with Pluto-Charon, the epicenter is above the surface of Pluto, so they both orbit a central point.

Pluto is not a planet - get over it ( :D ). When Juno was first discovered, it was also classified as a planet for about 20 years. Then they found the rest of the Asteroid Belt, and it was appropriately reclassified. Same with Pluto; it is a large Kuiper Belt object, but not a planet. This from guy who had Pluto as a planet for 40+ years of his life. Science advances, we move on.
Point conceded.....

And Dont confuse me with scientific facts....I wanna call it a planet :P

Oh I know the reasoning and its sound enough. I do bow to the experts I just make the odd comment for humor mostly.

Pluto is definitely an odd fish, it is definitely worth the effort to send the probe..And I cant wait to see more pics from the umm Kuiper Object, Dwarf planet...what ever they call it. I'd love it if one day they could put a lander down, see what it's made of..might be a real clue to it's origin, and how outer system objects play into the big picture....
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:43 pm

Think we'll find Bugs on Pluto?
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:43 pm

Think we'll find Bugs on Pluto?
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:04 pm

I drive a subcompact now. I don't like the new car terms used.
Mithras
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mithras » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Subcompact, never heard that term in the UK.

I'm over Pluto now, she's a dwarf planet. Can't wait to see what's there... even moons hold amazing secrets, I sure as hell hope this is like that, and not just a barren ice ball.
Paul Elliott
HOSTILE: A Gritty SF setting inspired by Alien, Outland and Bladerunner - for Cepheus Engine https://www.paulelliottbooks.com/hostile.html
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:15 pm

Bugs, or Vilani.
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hopeless » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:19 pm

I call it a dog myself! :mrgreen:

Still anyone getting Mass Effect flashbacks when they keep saying there's something odd about Pluto, Charon and its other moons? :wink:

As for the bugs... heck what about Dan Dare! :shock:
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:31 pm

alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:15 pm

wbnc wrote:And Dont confuse me with scientific facts....I wanna call it a planet
Fun fact for you. Less than 4% of the IAU attending in 2006 voted for Pluto to be demoted. 96% of astronomers - 96% of the vested scientific community - had no say in this, and still consider Pluto to be a planet.

Imagine if 4% of the chemistry committee voted to reclassify sulphur and strip it of its status as an element in the Periodic Table. Science is not decided by a vote - least of all a vote approved by 4% of interested parties who should never have been allowed to vote this stupid bad science bill at all.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:18 pm

Mithras wrote:I'm over Pluto now, she's a dwarf planet.
And in other news of bad science, pizza is a vegetable and pi is exactly three.
Mithras wrote:Can't wait to see what's there...
A planet. Not a dwarf planet, but a planet.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
JBRocky
Stoat

Postby JBRocky » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 pm

Also did you know that Pluto has four moons and the other three which are tiny orbit around both Pluto and Charon.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:50 am

Seriously, Pluto is the Dog Star.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:17 pm

alex_greene wrote:
wbnc wrote:And Dont confuse me with scientific facts....I wanna call it a planet
Fun fact for you. Less than 4% of the IAU attending in 2006 voted for Pluto to be demoted. 96% of astronomers - 96% of the vested scientific community - had no say in this, and still consider Pluto to be a planet.

Imagine if 4% of the chemistry committee voted to reclassify sulphur and strip it of its status as an element in the Periodic Table. Science is not decided by a vote - least of all a vote approved by 4% of interested parties who should never have been allowed to vote this stupid bad science bill at all.
welcome to modern science.....

If Pluto wasn't such a strange situation I don't think people would be so interested in a lump of frozen rock floating a few bazillion miles from the sun.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:58 pm

What, the fact that it's unexplored to the point where nobody even knew what it looked like till this last month is likely to be a factor in people's interest in it.

That, and that it's the very last unexplored place in our solar system, and one of the oldest, coldest and darkest places to which we will ever go inside the heliopause till we invent Jump drives and go exploring the Kuiper Belt in manned ships.
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:17 pm

Condottiere wrote:Seriously, Pluto is the Dog Star.
No that's Sirius!
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:18 pm

alex_greene wrote:What, the fact that it's unexplored to the point where nobody even knew what it looked like till this last month is likely to be a factor in people's interest in it.

That, and that it's the very last unexplored place in our solar system, and one of the oldest, coldest and darkest places to which we will ever go inside the heliopause till we invent Jump drives and go exploring the Kuiper Belt in manned ships.
Best not to confuse fictional technology with reality.