3rd Imperium Line

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
qstor
Banded Mongoose

3rd Imperium Line

Postby qstor » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Is this dead? Its been over a year maybe since any new books have come out. I used to have high expectations. I guess there's no freelancers that want to do the K'Kree and Hiver books.

Mike
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: 3rd Imperium Line

Postby Reynard » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Could it be the same person working on the Droyne book discussed on the other thread?
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:25 am

qstor wrote:Is this dead? Its been over a year maybe since any new books have come out. I used to have high expectations. I guess there's no freelancers that want to do the K'Kree and Hiver books.

Mike
Inurin is under the 3I brand.
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:52 am

qstor wrote: I guess there's no freelancers that want to do the K'Kree and Hiver books.
Neither is an easy book to write, really.

Unless you spend a lot of time on their mutant offshoot the Ancients, Droyne are kinda boring. I know Don wants to finish the book.

K'kree are also difficult. The last treatment (GURPS) was a huge joke, literally. Their space is uncharted in game terms and, as presented, far more hazardous to enter than any other Major Race's territory. There is no angle. So one has to be invented without breaking what has been written. GURPS tried to make the individual K'kree a little more comprehensible and almost succeeded, but it is not a trivial job to do that and everything else the K'kree need.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
It's all Traveller, so it's all Good.
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:16 am

Foreven Worlds: Tsokabar Subsector is due to come out on the 28th and I'm working on the next subsector after that.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:41 pm

GypsyComet wrote:K'kree are also difficult. The last treatment (GURPS) was a huge joke, literally.
In general, if no one has that book, it doesn't really matter. And it should not be a factor in why a K'kree book will be written for Mongoose Traveller or not.
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:29 am

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
GypsyComet wrote:K'kree are also difficult. The last treatment (GURPS) was a huge joke, literally.
In general, if no one has that book, it doesn't really matter. And it should not be a factor in why a K'kree book will be written for Mongoose Traveller or not.
You do realize that the GURPS Traveller line is still available in PDF and sold consistently in its active period, right? Just because you choose to ignore prior editions does not mean that others do, or that an author has that luxury.

The source material to write the K'kree from is CT, the barely reworded MT article, the GURPS hit piece, and a bunch of BBQ jokes. The CT alien material was notoriously dry, but even that take on the K'kree showed hints that the authors weren't quite sure how to handle them.

A Mongoose version is either yet another copy-paste, or must be written from scratch. Your opinions aside, that is a non-trivial task.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
simonh
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby simonh » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:39 am

GypsyComet wrote: A Mongoose version is either yet another copy-paste, or must be written from scratch. Your opinions aside, that is a non-trivial task.
I don't really see the value in Mongoose doing a K'Kree book at the moment. They're heavily invested in developing the Trojan Reach and doing an alien book out of the blue for a race on the very furthest side of the OTU, with no supporting setting material for that region or adventures would be pretty pointless. The nearest area they've published for the the Solomani Rim, which at least has a common border with the Imperium, and that's four sectors away from the Two Thousand Worlds.

A Hivers book might make sense, but only really in the context of expanded support for campaigns in the Solomani Rim and environs.

One of the great things about Traveller's long and rich publication history though is that all the materials on these other regions and races already exists. It's already perfectly viable to run a Mongoose Traveller campaign using previously published info.

There was a certain base level of resources Mongoose needed to publish in order to properly support Traveller games in the Spinward region, and they've now done that. Where they can realy add value now is by extending that and build on it by bringing out genuinely new material such as Pirates of Drinax, and further developing the Trojan Reach sector and neighbouring territories, exactly as they are currently doing.

Simon Hibbs
Check out StarBase, the open source science fiction campaign mapping application.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:39 am

Of all the races in Traveller, especially for a Major Race, the authors seem to create them then say "But for all their viciousness and hatred, they don't get out much....". They were set to be THE race with a reason to be a major pain in the Imperial butt except all sorts a little obstacles keep them on their side of the fence.

The one source not mentioned and so hard to finds is Gateway to Destiny featuring K'kree on a mission against all those meat eaters. Finding the PDF is hen's teeth and Amazon wants $140 for a copy! I'd love to find this and discover exactly what they're capable of when they get the nerve.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:15 pm

I suspect that they discovered a cache of MLP videos, and suddenly reassessed the human translation of K'kree as pony.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:51 pm

GypsyComet wrote:A Mongoose version is either yet another copy-paste, or must be written from scratch. Your opinions aside, that is a non-trivial task.
Isn't writing any book a non-trivial task? And what players do you know that role-play K'kree characters? Mongoose books should be more than just parity checking with previous editions published.
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:23 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:Mongoose books should be more than just parity checking with previous editions published.
On this point we agree. The key word is "more".
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
GypsyComet
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GypsyComet » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:31 pm

Reynard wrote:The one source not mentioned and so hard to finds is Gateway to Destiny featuring K'kree on a mission against all those meat eaters.
GtD has its strong points, but the K'kree aren't one of them. It takes the situation seen 125 years later (in Lord of Thunder, aka MegaTraveller Journal #4) and back dates it without changing it much. If you have MTJ#4 but not GtD, you're probably fine for K'kree material.
CTMTTNET4GTT20THMGTT5
hiro

Postby hiro » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:37 pm

Seems to me Mongoose is stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea if they publish more of the retro material. There are often differences that parity checks won't resolve, choices made are going to rile some, please others.

As has been said, existing material written for previous generations is really not that difficult to port to Mongoose, a little time and thought and any GM can do that. Expanding on what's written can also meet a mixed response.

Rehashing the old won't bring new players to the game, expanding the material available as they're doing with the Trojan Reaches gets my vote. Move forward!
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:48 pm

GypsyComet wrote:
ShawnDriscoll wrote:Mongoose books should be more than just parity checking with previous editions published.
On this point we agree. The key word is "more".
Judging from the Mongoose Alien Module books (hardcover) published already, I'd say the remaining Alien books have a high bar to meet. So a lot of new material will have to be produced for the K'kree for players to role-play them. Otherwise, there is no point for a Mongoose K'kree (or Hiver or Droyne) book.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:09 pm

It seems to be something of a ‘theme of the decade’, especially if you’ve been part of any kickstarter campaigns, that RPG fans are having to wait, wait and wait some more for their favourite projects to materialise. Mongoose Traveller seems to be part of that trend.

I do realise that there is a lot to do when making these books, but just a cursory glance at the conflicting information for the release schedule shows that there are a lot of projects missing their ETAs at the moment. Aside from a few mini-e-books, and a continuing free Pirates campaign, have we actually seen any new releases for Traveller this year? For me, the ones I was hoping for include:

- The proposed Third Imperium core setting hardback (As a Kickstarter? Full colour? By Martin McDougherty?)
- More Alien books to continue the series. Definitely the K’ree, the Hivers, the Droyne, Vilani….
- An expansion of the Traveller game into alternative mediums - namely war-game miniatures and computer apps for the game.
- General review of all Traveller e-books on drivethrurpg, with a note to improving graphic design generally (then making the books available on POD).
- More 2100AD stuff, generally, and maybe some other new settings (Prime Directive? Historical settings like Wild West, WW2 or Pirates maybe).

There seems to be some delay in the processing of the Paranoia Kickstarter (which isn’t really that surprising), and I don’t really follow what goes on in the miniatures games (which is increasingly Mongoose’s main focus these days, perhaps?), but yep, I agree, the stalling in the Traveller line is frustrating.
Outtasight!
The Dark Avenger
Mongoose

Postby The Dark Avenger » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:38 pm

The proposed Third Imperium core setting hardback (As a Kickstarter? Full colour? By Martin McDougherty?)

Who is that?
My MJD account is inaccessible to me because, basically, I suck at Internetz. But yes, it's me.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:59 am

I bought two or three new books this year for Mongoose Traveller. I don't look at the schedules.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:29 am

The Dark Avenger wrote: The proposed Third Imperium core setting hardback (As a Kickstarter? Full colour? By Martin McDougherty?)

Who is that?
Ahem….Martin Dougherty. I blame the Mac I am typing on….
Outtasight!
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:02 am

Hi guys,

All points you make, noted. We have been working on something very large for Traveller, and all will be revealed in a couple of weeks or so (we really are 'this' close :)).

As for the K'kree, this has indeed been discussed, and we have an _awesome_ idea on how to approach them. Very much a book I would like to look at for next year.

There are some big things happening for Traveller, and they have taken time to get all the ducks in a row, but we really are 'this' close :) Please be patient for just a little while longer - the next 24 months are going to be simply awesome for Traveller players...
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com