[House Rule] Life support

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

[House Rule] Life support

Postby F33D » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:40 pm

I created this rule to allow for more creative and realistic ship design. Realistic only in the sense of not having life-support equipment tied down to rooms on a spaceship but put into engineering where they belong and spec'ed for how many people needed to be accommodated. Using this paradigm one can create military type berthing. Different size cabins, staterooms, etc.

This type of L.S. equip is standard at TL 12. Complete water & air recirculation as long as you have power.

Base unit is 1/2 Dton (7 cubic meters) and supports 2 people for a cost of Cr.500,000. Each additional person supported requires 1 cubic meter of additional equip at a cost of Cr.250,000.

Standard Stateroom/corridor/lounge/dining room tonnage costs Cr80,000/Ton.


Using this rule allows for creation of back-up L.S. as well.


Soon to be incorporated into HG v.2
User avatar
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2968
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:03 pm

Just add miles of air ducts now.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4346
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby AndrewW » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:23 pm

F33D wrote:Soon to be incorporated into HG v.2
Oh really¿
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby F33D » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:53 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:Just add miles of air ducts now.
Only if your ship architect is barking mad. :lol: (unless your ship is huge)

You DO know that the ceilings are not 3 meters high, don't you?

(Now back to our NON-troll infested discussion...)
User avatar
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2968
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:54 pm

F33D wrote:You DO know that the ceilings are not 3 meters high, don't you?
What's your point?
AndrewW wrote:
F33D wrote:Soon to be incorporated into HG v.2
Oh really¿
".2", which is less than "1.0". Makes sense.
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby F33D » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:25 pm

AndrewW wrote:
F33D wrote:Soon to be incorporated into HG v.2
Oh really¿
Yep¡
User avatar
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2968
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:31 pm

I doubt Mongoose is doing a [House Rule] book, or even allows rules be mentioned before a product's release.
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby F33D » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:40 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:I doubt ...
:lol:
User avatar
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2968
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:48 pm

Surely, F33D's latest spam here isn't about High Guard getting new ceiling rules.
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby F33D » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:52 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:Surely, F33D's latest spam here isn't about High Guard getting new ceiling rules.
You're still babbling on about this? Dude, climb out of your mom's basement. Get rid of the pasty white complexion.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4346
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby AndrewW » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:03 pm

Lets keep things friendly, there's no need to attack other users.
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby F33D » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:18 pm

AndrewW wrote:Lets keep things friendly, there's no need to attack other users.
Don't worry. He randomly attacks posts that are not specifically about "roll playing". When he does it on my threads I banter until he gets distracted by something else on his computer...
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose
Posts: 8244
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:20 pm

I'd distribute the life support systems and connect them with a network of airducts.
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby F33D » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Condottiere wrote:I'd distribute the life support systems and connect them with a network of airducts.
EXTREMELY inefficient design. That is why it isn't done that way on subs. But, that would explain the Cr2,000/month in repair bills for Trav staterooms. Even if empty. :lol:

Condottiere, you just explained a Trav mystery rule that even the original author has been unable to explain. You should get an award!
User avatar
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2968
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:46 am

Waste of ship energy providing life-support for attic space. Still have to provide hot/cold air to the staterooms somehow. Unless the floors are grilled, and air just blows up from it.

Central life-support is not the best for when it breaks.
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby F33D » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:27 am

ShawnDriscoll wrote:Waste of ship energy providing life-support for attic space. Still have to provide hot/cold air to the staterooms somehow.
Um, sure.
CosmicGamer
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:45 am
Location: Central DE

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby CosmicGamer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:25 am

First post:
F33D wrote:I created this rule to allow for more creative and realistic ship design. Realistic only in the sense of not having life-support equipment tied down to rooms on a spaceship but put into engineering where they belong
Then followups:
F33D wrote:
ShawnDriscoll wrote:Just add miles of air ducts now.
Only if your ship architect is barking mad. :lol: (unless your ship is huge)

You DO know that the ceilings are not 3 meters high, don't you?

(Now back to our NON-troll infested discussion...)
It sounds like you are criticizing the ducting? If you have a centralized life support system in engineering, how is it supplied to all the spaces throughout the ship?
ShawnDriscoll wrote:
F33D wrote:You DO know that the ceilings are not 3 meters high, don't you?
What's your point?
I'd also like to know what your point is? Ducting is not possible because there wouldn't be clearance? Ducting is already included in the height? Something else?
F33D
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby F33D » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:06 am

CosmicGamer wrote:It sounds like you are criticizing the ducting?
No, I'm criticizing the insanity of stating that it would ADD miles of ducting on something like a Free Trader. If each stateroom had LS machinery it would have to run from there to all non-stateroom areas. Hence, he couldn't defend the insanity. (he was trolling to begin with)

Anyway, back to the subject of the thread...
User avatar
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2968
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:22 am

F33D wrote:
CosmicGamer wrote:It sounds like you are criticizing the ducting?
No, I'm criticizing the insanity of stating that it would ADD miles of ducting on something like a Free Trader.
You know what jest means?
F33D wrote:If each stateroom had LS machinery it would have to run from there to all non-stateroom areas. Hence, he couldn't defend the insanity. (he was trolling to begin with)

Anyway, back to the subject of the thread...
If each stateroom had its own life-support, there's nothing else to be had. Nothing needs to be run from there to wherever. The bridge has life-support. The mess has life-support. Maybe the cargo bay doesn't. Either an area of a ship has life-support, or it doesn't.

You could just hand-wave your TL12 around and say that the entire ship is just a hollow shell that is pressurized with life-support, because TL12 is so efficient to do life-support that way, and there are partitioned walls/floors/ceilings everywhere that are not part of the bulkhead. And explain away that no one dies when central life-support fails because it's TL12 machinery.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose
Posts: 8244
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: [House Rule] Life support

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:49 am

One thing to remember about submarines, is that they can surface if anything goes wrong with life support.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 39 guests