[Pirates of Drinax] Splitting the Party?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Putraack
Stoat

[Pirates of Drinax] Splitting the Party?

Postby Putraack » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:17 pm

I wonder if other groups playing this have split up their PCs? My current game of this is on hiatus, and I was thinking about this while reading Part Eight.

My group did split up for a while, but that seemed to put the game on hold or fast-forward, with them out of contact for about a year in game time. I think, since it was not something that the players were used to doing, it killed some of the momentum. Perhaps we should have thought about that in advance of that session.

Have others had players take up secondary PCs, brought in lots of NPCs (especially captains), or what?
Morningkiller
Weasel

Re: [Pirates of Drinax] Splitting the Party?

Postby Morningkiller » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:41 am

Recruiting has been a big thing in our game. The pirate faction is over a dozen vessels now and hundreds of pirates and mercs.

Sometimes players grab NPCs to play if their main is away or they fancy a change.

Since traveller chargen is so much fun, why not?
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Morningkiller wrote:Recruiting has been a big thing in our game. The pirate faction is over a dozen vessels now and hundreds of pirates and mercs.

Sometimes players grab NPCs to play if their main is away or they fancy a change.

The are easier to create than D&D characters, because so many of the choices in skills are decided by a roll of the dice rather than a player scratching his head. Has anyone ever wrote a program which spits out randomly generated player characters? Seems to me, that instead of having a book called 1001 characters, we could just have an automatic character generator with a number of buttons for determining which career you want and how many terms to go through if the character passes all survival rolls. Is there such a character generator available for download? Just wondering.
hdan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby hdan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:44 pm

There's one for windows I sometimes fool around with:

http://rabsoft.co.uk/itemtravellerchara ... rator.html

Though it's Classic Traveller only, since Mongoose's license forbids people to make Traveller software and FFE's license doesn't.
/hdan
Morningkiller
Weasel

Postby Morningkiller » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:39 am

Tom Kalbfus wrote:
Morningkiller wrote:Recruiting has been a big thing in our game. The pirate faction is over a dozen vessels now and hundreds of pirates and mercs.

The are easier to create than D&D characters, because so many of the choices in skills are decided by a roll of the dice rather than a player scratching his head. Has anyone ever wrote a program which spits out randomly generated player characters? Seems to me, that instead of having a book called 1001 characters, we could just have an automatic character generator with a number of buttons for determining which career you want and how many terms to go through if the character passes all survival rolls. Is there such a character generator available for download? Just wondering.
I've written a program for recruiting Drinax pirate NPCs incorporating a few recruitment house rules we came up with. It spits out a profession, 6 stats, skill level and main armour/weapon for each pirate. I still need to add in a random name generator and add to the gear choices but it certainly helped speed up the planetside bookkeeping.

I'm doing an app development course for android at the moment and am laying out the design for a full PC generator (modelling chargen from the basic rulebook) as a project.

Not sure if sharing is allowed and don't want to step on any toes. Will start a thread to ask Matt.
Solomani666
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Solomani666 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:26 am

Tom Kalbfus wrote:

Shawn Driscoll has several versions he has written using Python.