Traveller 5

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Mirja
Weasel

Traveller 5

Postby Mirja » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Anyone has any opinions on this version of Traveller. Is it worth buying? Does t contain information about the Third Imperium etc

What I have heard this far is that it is a mess of unnecessary charts and calculations of which most just adds extra time for the GM and players. And that the graphics sucks as well as everything is way too complex for having a floweing game.
hdan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Traveller 5

Postby hdan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:45 pm

One man's unnecessary charts and calculations is another man's chrome and grit.

Having said that, I came to the conclusion that T5 is not for me.

Also, I understand that it has very little if any 3I information in it.
/hdan
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:46 pm

There are no rave reviews of the game.
hdan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby hdan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:48 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:There are no rave reviews of the game.
I was working under the "if you can't say something nice" theory. 8)
/hdan
mr31337
Banded Mongoose

Postby mr31337 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:54 pm

I think of T5 as a big book of optional rules for consideration should Mongoose Traveller ever be found wanting.

I just haven't had need of them yet, and probably won't, ever.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:56 pm

hdan wrote:I was working under the "if you can't say something nice" theory.
There is no air on Mars.
CosmicGamer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CosmicGamer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:18 pm

I also have no interest in T5.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:30 pm

Mirja wrote:Anyone has any opinions on this version of Traveller. Is it worth buying? Does t contain information about the Third Imperium etc
There is a playable game in there. If you like the task mechanic there is a buncha potential. The book is just mechanics, 600+ pages of mechanics, and in bits and pieces they can be useful to any game based on the general precepts of Traveller, But you may need to beat on them a bit to get them to work.

In Academics Terms; T5 book is the Reader for a masters level course on Traveller, you need all of the undergraduate education in Traveller to make it work well for you.
Evyn
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:48 pm

It has useable stuff, such as the Datacaster I have adapted to mongoose, there are the Hop and Skip drives, jump above 6; etc. . Whether or not it's worth it, I don't know, but Marc Miller sells the CD on his site with everything else, so if you buy four CD's and use the 443 deal (four disks for the price of three) it is essentially free.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:12 pm

Mirja wrote:Anyone has any opinions on this version of Traveller. Is it worth buying? Does t contain information about the Third Imperium etc

What I have heard this far is that it is a mess of unnecessary charts and calculations of which most just adds extra time for the GM and players. And that the graphics sucks as well as everything is way too complex for having a floweing game.
As others have pointed out, there are a few nuggets of information in there that you may find useful. Though I wouldn't look for any useful background setting. I have found the GURPS source books to be really nice for background info.

Dragoner has the right idea, look at some of the deals for CD's from Mark and pick it up as your free one. As a Kickstarter backer I'm.. disappointed with the direction it went. I thought it was going to really tie together a lot of things and finally make some strides in the game system, especially in the area of ships. Sadly it did not. I'm still waiting on a really well designed and thought out High Guard 2.0. Which will probably only come from the fan community.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:42 am

Kickstarter.... Humph.... Grumble.... Johnny come Latelys the lot of them. I paid for my copy of T5 years before... Think about how disappointed I was....

Thank Heavens for Mongoose!
Evyn
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:45 am

phavoc wrote:I'm still waiting on a really well designed and thought out High Guard 2.0. Which will probably only come from the fan community.
What would you like to see in a High Guard 2.0?
Jacqual
Mongoose

Postby Jacqual » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:57 am

I like Traveller, I was a Kickstarter member and a playtester for T5. All I can say is the T5 book can stop small arms fire (not verified). I would stick with MGT, as I am very happy with MGT.
Jacqual Synn
Merchant Traveller
I was voted Captain of my team in Highschool, shame I was the only member.
Galadrion
Banded Mongoose

Postby Galadrion » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:39 am

phavoc wrote:I'm still waiting on a really well designed and thought out High Guard 2.0.
Likewise - what I'd like to see is a MongTrav version of FFS. Preferably one based on the TNE outline - I'd really like to have rules included for designing starship-plus scale weaponry and open-ended ship sizes. ("That's no moon..." Or maybe the capability of bringing Dahak into the system.)
simonh
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby simonh » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:51 pm

dragoner wrote:It has useable stuff, such as the Datacaster I have adapted to mongoose, there are the Hop and Skip drives, jump above 6; etc. . Whether or not it's worth it, I don't know, but Marc Miller sells the CD on his site with everything else, so if you buy four CD's and use the 443 deal (four disks for the price of three) it is essentially free.
You know, I don't think I actualy own a computer with a CD/DVD drive anymore.

I realy ought to ahve a copy of T5 though. What are the world generation and ship design rules like?

Simon Hibbs
Check out StarBase, the open source science fiction campaign mapping application.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:32 pm

I own T5 and have no problem with it. It is the Traveller from 30+ years of experience giving the game a bit more meat. I like it because it expands the mechanics especially the world gen, ship and vehicle gen and an actual detailed series of generators for non-human or more than human characters. It's my textbook Traveller. I use parts as a supplement to Mongoose when I'm in the mood but both games I feel are complimentary to each other as the most current rules go.

The price makes it for the serious Traveller fan. It's cost is not much more than many other RPGs anymore and you get a lot of information for it. Get to a local game shop and browse it a little to get the feel. I will suggest Mongoose Traveller because of the speed and simplicity for the average player though.
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:24 pm

simonh wrote:
dragoner wrote:It has useable stuff, such as the Datacaster I have adapted to mongoose, there are the Hop and Skip drives, jump above 6; etc. . Whether or not it's worth it, I don't know, but Marc Miller sells the CD on his site with everything else, so if you buy four CD's and use the 443 deal (four disks for the price of three) it is essentially free.
You know, I don't think I actualy own a computer with a CD/DVD drive anymore.

I realy ought to ahve a copy of T5 though. What are the world generation and ship design rules like?

Simon Hibbs
Really? I have three, I also have the twelve disks plus a huge amount of the mongoose stuff on my Traveller file loaded onto a tiny 16GB flash drive. Ship and world gen rules are like the same old Traveller, reminiscent I should say. I ran a playtest, built a Regency Quarantine Cutter, and messed about making some worlds. It has added crunch, yet is simplified by the tables. I like the tables, but I'm also an engineer, I took an advanced macro-econ class and the professor asked if we liked tables or formulas, and I was surprised half the class didn't like tables. Overall, I like to be where the players are, which mongoose is pretty good for, but if everyone was playing T5, I'd play that; where the caveat is that some of the errata I've seen posted, like for 2-3 page ammo usage, I didn't like.

Rob
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:38 am

simonh wrote:I realy ought to ahve a copy of T5 though. What are the world generation and ship design rules like?

Simon Hibbs
Hrm. Well, I can tell you the ship tables are far more like striker on steroids, but still sticking with the tables and forcing you to use A,B,C sized drives, power plants, etc.

In my opinion Marc took the worst from the various design systems and elements and combined them. There are a LOT of neat ideas, however the execution makes me to want to stab myself with a spork.

The world generation rules are equally as detailed, and I think, equally spork-worthy.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:46 am

phavoc wrote:
In my opinion Marc took the worst from the various design systems and elements and combined them. There are a LOT of neat ideas, however the execution makes me to want to stab myself with a spork.
Oh Self Sporking.... I am going to steal that. :lol:
Evyn
Balfuset790
Stoat

Postby Balfuset790 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:18 am

Reynard wrote:...It's my textbook Traveller...
This particular statement is a nice summation of my problems with T5. I took a look through a copy of the book and couldn't help but think that I was reading one of my old textbooks from when I was back at university.

From an academic standpoint the book is actually a very good astrophysics, engineering and mathematics text... but when I'm running an RPG I want a rulebook I can use to play a game from, not a textbook I have to study. ;)