planet military assets calculator

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
chrisaukcam
Cub

planet military assets calculator

Postby chrisaukcam » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:46 pm

A new addition to my website. A military assets calculator for a given planet using the UPP or UWP.

Both quantity and quality of units. Useful for stryker scenarios, but also the gnp and military calculations can help point out a sectors stronger systems.

calculates the GNP which now that I think about it - should be the GPP (gross planetary product).

Critiques/suggestions welcome.

http://www.vandeet.com/milcalc/
Morningkiller
Weasel

Re: planet military assets calculator

Postby Morningkiller » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Nice work.

I'm running Pirates of Drinax and the PCs have assembled a 200 ship raid on the Glorious Empire in which they engaged several GE military and fleet assets (though only the peripheral small worlds). I spent a good while trying to figure out appropriate supportable garrisons for the backwaters they were raiding. Your program does it with a couple of clicks.

Will be using it in future. :D
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:15 pm

Interesting. A useful tool when no data at all is available.

I have a couple of questions:

1) In calculating armies, what do you use to do this with? I used the following UPP - A788899–C, it's for Regina. I'm aware there is some randomness, but on one generation it listed 40 armies (each of 150,000 strength). That's 6 million men. And this is in addition to the 25 divisions of mechanized troops. Generally speaking, large standing armies are more a thing of the past, mostly because unless you are a highly militarized culture, you simply can't support that many men under arms.

2) In the naval section, the number of ships seems excessive. 33 carriers, 103 battlecruisers, etc (I copied out the entire output below). The Imperial Navy is always crying for more hulls, especially on the smaller size. I'm not sure one world could afford a navy of this size with only 1 billion people to support it. Taking the TL question out of it, do you calculate a percentage of the world's economic output and then apply that to how many units it can afford? And are you dividing that up between ground and naval units? Typically there is a support structure, of 1/3 to 1/2 of non-fighting units to fighting ones to reflect they myriad of work that goes on by people who aren't on the front lines. I would assume that each mechanized troop or army has an economic value attached?

3) In the Surface aircraft and nukes I found that no nukes is the only setting, no matter how many times I recalculated the numbers. What is the requirement to have nukes?

TOOL RESULTS
Result - GNP per capita is: 46656
Population is: 1000 million
Total GNP is: 46.7 trillion
Military quality is: Below Average. A few troops have adequate training, most do not. Many are on garrison duty and have rudimentary combat skills.
Some units are militia or paramilitary. Equipment is old & poorly maintained and at any time a given unit can malfunction.

LAND FORCES
Number of Mechanized units is: 25 Divisions(500 armored units each)
Infantry Units: 40 Army's (150,000 each) - infantry units.

INTERPLANETARY CRAFT
Interstellar Carriers: 33
Battle Cruisers: 103
Destroyers: 116
Frigates: 190
Corvettes: 167
System Patrol Boats: 1325

Surface Air craft and Nukes
Planet Air Craft: 25 Air Groups (216 air units each)
No Nukes
chrisaukcam
Cub

Postby chrisaukcam » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:13 am

calculating armies - This is done as percentage of the population. My thinking is that future armies could be robotic or human. Also a number of the army units could be reserves. But a good point about a high tech world not needing as large of a standing army as a low tech world. I can see about tweaking the percent down as the TL goes up.

number of ships - As I think about it you are probably right. I will look at the math, right now it is using the gnp to calculate how many ships it can support with the government determining the desire to have more military units.- maybe at the higher levels I left off a zero or something. 1/10 of the numbers is closer to being realistic. 3 carriers, 10 battle cruisers, etc.

Does that seem more reasonable?

Nukes is a low base chance. I used the countries of earth as an example and without looking at the code I am thinking the base chance was like 5% with some modifiers. And I can see where a higher TL should increase the odds. So this is something else that can be tweaked.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:33 am

chrisaukcam wrote:calculating armies - This is done as percentage of the population. My thinking is that future armies could be robotic or human. Also a number of the army units could be reserves. But a good point about a high tech world not needing as large of a standing army as a low tech world. I can see about tweaking the percent down as the TL goes up.
At a certain TL, the military will be mostly a gravitic one, using more expensive vehicles but able to greater project itself, thus it's power increases. Robotic vs. humans really doesn't factor much into they power capability of a military force, especially at this level. The only real difference is you might be more willing to sacrifice robot troopers. Reserves will, most likely, never be more than 50% of the active military, though that might vary if you have a planet like say Switzerland with mostly reserve forces. That's not really the norm though. Most nations will put the bulk of their credits towards an active force (for various reasons).
chrisaukcam wrote:number of ships - As I think about it you are probably right. I will look at the math, right now it is using the gnp to calculate how many ships it can support with the government determining the desire to have more military units.- maybe at the higher levels I left off a zero or something. 1/10 of the numbers is closer to being realistic. 3 carriers, 10 battle cruisers, etc.
You should try to calculate the variance between naval and ground forces. Naval forces would almost always take the bigger chunk of change because they are your first line of defense, and they can actually DO other things that most active military can't/won't do. Say at least 60/40. Larger ground forces make sense with larger population bases. But in general most planetary navies aren't going to be projecting power beyond the system - the Imperials can/do, but I'm not sure of any planets that own other planets in other star systems. In the same system, maybe, but multi-stellar entities gets too close to starting your own pocket empire. So I'd say any stellar-capable ships would be far fewer than ships that you want to keep in your own system.

The 'carrier' designation is pretty broad. A BC would most likely be under or around 100,000 Dtons, but carriers are all over the map. Maybe use fighter wings? They can be local, or on a carrier, but since this all about local star systems, all you really care about is what the have locally. If they project power, that's another ball game. I'd also probably back off on the number of ships available, say 50% of the overall naval budget is available for offensive action. The rest goes towards fixed installations, personnel, weapons, training, etc. Your SDB's also should come into play here. And you should revise some of those numbers waaayyyy down. A thousand SDB's in one system?? That's pretty damn high, and probably not supportable for any system that has to pay for that bill on their own. A RICH system might have a few hundred, tops. Assuming you had 400 SDB's defending your system, nothing but a major battle fleet could even touch you, let alone invade. While we don't have very clear rules in regards to them, SDB's have always had the reputation of being extremely fierce and a major issue for any invading fleet.
chrisaukcam wrote:Nukes is a low base chance. I used the countries of earth as an example and without looking at the code I am thinking the base chance was like 5% with some modifiers. And I can see where a higher TL should increase the odds. So this is something else that can be tweaked.
Nukes in navies is actually one of the few places you should be seeing them. Nukes provide huge advantages - assuming you can hit with them AND your opponent does not possess nuclear dampers. But forcing your opponent to include them costs credits, and means you have less offensive gear. Of course you have to PAY for them to make a credible threat, but a system with any sort of navy is going to have nukes in their missile and torpedo payloads. It's not quite the same when you are a nation on a planet where you can't haphazardly use nukes. In space it really doesn't matter as much.

I know your program doesn't take input, but other factors that you might want to have maybe a y/n entry for would be naval base, scout base, capital, very important system, etc. Those factors would increase military forces present.
DickTurpin
Banded Mongoose

Postby DickTurpin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:12 am

Adventure 3: Trillion Credit Squadron has a formula for computing a planet's annual budget for its space fleet. The example of Regina above, using 700,000,000 as the total population (from Traveller Map), gives an annual budget for peacetime of MCr. 805,000,000, Tensions (potential conflict) of MCr. 840,000,000, and MCr. 875,000,000 during wartime.

A peacetime fleet is valued at three times the peacetime annual budget. A wartime fleet would be that plus anything else they manage to build. These numbers do not include any expendables like missiles or fuel, nor do they include any ground, ocean, or atmospheric forces. It also does not take into account any Imperial ships that may be on hand because Regina is a subsector capitol.

It would be nice if your program gives similar results.