Backbone of Society Question

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
sjmiller
Weasel

Backbone of Society Question

Postby sjmiller » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:09 pm

In the Life Events table in Book 10, entry 54 reads:
Relationship: A relationship deepens; a mere friend becomes a Significant Other. See ‘Friends and Family’ in the chapter ‘Backbone of Society’ below
That chapter, and the section mentioned, does not seem to exist. Is there anything that is mentioned there that we should know about or should we, as in the old days, wing it?
Stephen J. Miller
Ancient Gamer and Curmudgeon
Traveller junkie since 1979
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Backbone of Society Question

Postby alex_greene » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:25 pm

I'd written up something about that, but when that entire chapter got retooled into something different, that whole thing got regrettably lost with the old chapter and I didn't notice that until after the book was published.

A significant other is a fully-generated NPC who cannot be killed, save by agreement between the player and the referee. This NPC can be treated as an Ally, with her own Allies, Contacts and so on. The player cannot access those Allies and Contacts; they belong to the SO.

A SO has her own life which occasionally involves the player - the SO might have a Patron turn up with a job for her, for instance, or an Enemy of hers might turn up and cause her grief, requiring that the player have to intervene to extricate her from an uncomfortable situation.

The SO is usually a spouse, but can be a live-in partner, friend with benefits or whatever terms are applied to persons with whom the character has an attachment.

It is entirely optional, but it is amazing what effect having a SO can have on a character if the player is willing to take the relationship into account. The presence of the SO means that the player is actually less likely to take risks. They have more to lose.

The reason why I included SOs was because Citizen characters are the likeliest to want to have families aboard with them - spouses, kids playing at their feet. They are torn between the need to travel, and the need to put down roots at the same time.

Bringing family on board, or at least a partner, gives a Citizen player the best of both worlds.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Backbone of Society Question

Postby alex_greene » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:44 pm

Also, and I was just watching the ad for the movie on the TV as I was writing this ... having significant others on board allows the referee to put the player through the plot of Taken.

Without someone to care for, that kind of adventure would not be anywhere near as nail-biting.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]