Rules Question: Laser Rifle vs G/Bike

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Rules Question: Laser Rifle vs G/Bike

Postby paltrysum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:29 pm

Maybe phavoc can shed more light on this since he was in the military but I've always heard that hitting a moving target is what separates the pros from the posers when it comes to sniping. We're probably talking about Vietnam-era weaponry, though. High tech weapons, such as a TL9+ laser rifle — tech we don't even have yet in the forms described in Traveller — surely use advanced computing techniques to help hit targets and would make it possible to hit a fast moving vehicle.
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:16 pm

Aye, that's kind of the point of the exercise. What fun is there if you say "I am aiming my sniper rifle at the maneuvering G-bike. I hit, right?".

Then again, what's good for PC is also good for the NPC... And one never really runs out of NPC's.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Here's the scope - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJwjGCQ21ME

The scope costs $27,500. And there's also some secondary sighting using an iPAD. The video isn't really clear on how much a single person could do, the scope still is limited to looking down the barrel and not very wide field of vision. I'm sure that you must also use a relatively decent rifle that already has accurate rifling and such.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:16 am

I always thought laser weapon systems had an inherent tracking capability, as low power lightspeed feedback would tell you if the barrel was lined up, and all you needed to do was increase output at that point.
Moppy
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:21 am

Condottiere wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:16 am
I always thought laser weapon systems had an inherent tracking capability, as low power lightspeed feedback would tell you if the barrel was lined up, and all you needed to do was increase output at that point.
Qute possibly possible, but may also trigger countermeasures from the target.
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:10 am

Things like prismatic aerosols would take a period of time to activate. Tracking with a low-power beam before firing the high-power pulse would give a defense like that time to deploy. Maybe that puts the shot back into the hands of the PC.

Or maybe they just use passive optical tracking - no active signature.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:09 pm

Condottiere wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:16 am
Yes. A laser rangefinder is a laser, just with lower output. It also will trigger, as moppy said, any passive laser detectors that a target may be deploying. It also allows your laser to be tracked back to the source or origin.

Which is why passive optical scopes will never go out of style. There is no warning before you get hit. If you are using a laser it's all lightspeed, both detection and the hit. If you are using a bullet then it's typically traveling faster than the speed of sound.

To the question above, yeah, hitting a moving target is hard, though with modern (and very expensive) equipment automation can do a good job of leading and painting the target with the bore of your weapon. But it's never 100% because of how ballistics works and the various atmospheric things that can cause your round to drift. However one can compensate by using more explosives. :)
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:59 pm

I thought close only counted with horseshoes and hand grenades?

And nukes of course....
Moppy
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 am

It's theoretically possible to passively detect a passive scope by its reflection of sunlight. Whether it works depends on their computer vision (image recognition) technology, and if anyone's countered it (maybe by building non-reflective "glass"?)
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Moppy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 am
It's theoretically possible to passively detect a passive scope by its reflection of sunlight. Whether it works depends on their computer vision (image recognition) technology, and if anyone's countered it (maybe by building non-reflective "glass"?)
That's true. Hunting scopes and their ilk have very short barrells over the optics, thus you can sometimes get a glint off the optics. Military sniper scopes have longer barrels on them that make it near impossible to get a sunlight reflection off them. In theory it's possible, but practically it's not going to happen.
Moppy
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:37 am

phavoc wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:44 pm
Moppy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 am
That's true. Hunting scopes and their ilk have very short barrells over the optics, thus you can sometimes get a glint off the optics. Military sniper scopes have longer barrels on them that make it near impossible to get a sunlight reflection off them. In theory it's possible, but practically it's not going to happen.
Thermal scopes have a large lens and short end barrel.