HMAS Canberra - County/Kent Class

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

DanaussieII
Weasel

HMAS Canberra - County/Kent Class

Postby DanaussieII » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:51 pm

G'day guys,

I wanted to share this one with you guys, the sculpt is a WotC Axis & Allies - War at Sea HMS Kent painted as the HMAS Canberra of the County/Kent Class. I absolutely love the Counties and would love to see what the Mongoose guys could do with the Royal Navy's mainstay Heavy Cruiser some day.

This ship was mounted on a 0.5mm balsa base to be compatible with Mongoose based miniatures, Vallejo Water Effects were then used for texture and then painted.

A small conversion was made by adding a Walrus floatplane amidships as what was on the HMAS Canberra, this was a floatplane taken from a WotC Konigsberg light cruiser model, of course it is not accurate but at tabletop view it has a plane where it is supposed to be. :lol:

I guess it will take some time to decide which WotC models to base in this way, some sculpts are already pretty good like the "R" Class battleships but I would prefer to have an "All" Mongoose Royal Navy and Kreigsmarine Fleet one day...must be patient. :D

Thanks for looking :D :D :D

Dan
AdrianH
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: HMAS Canberra - County/Kent Class

Postby AdrianH » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:52 am

Nice paintwork as usual - the camouflage is very neat!

You could cut an upper wing for the aircraft out of thin plastic card or even paper, then at least it would be a biplane and not a monoplane Arado. Or you can get Walruses from Mongoose. What scale is that model?
Smiert Spam
DanaussieII
Weasel

Postby DanaussieII » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:28 am

AdrianH wrote:Nice paintwork as usual - the camouflage is very neat!

You could cut an upper wing for the aircraft out of thin plastic card or even paper, then at least it would be a biplane and not a monoplane Arado. Or you can get Walruses from Mongoose. What scale is that model?
Thank you for your reply Adrian, I'm truly honoured to be part of the VaS community. I noticed I could pick up some Walruses from the online store, I will have to throw some in to my next Mongoose order. The HMAS Canberra is of course 1/1800th the same as Mongoose minis mate, I will have to wait to see if Mongoose will eventually sculpt a County Class but until then a War at Sea County will have to suffice.

Dan :o
AdmiralGrafSpee
Banded Mongoose

Postby AdmiralGrafSpee » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:46 pm

Great painting!
Spike1382
Stoat

Postby Spike1382 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:19 am

Love it. The Canberra is my favorite Allied Heavy Cruiser of the war.
DanaussieII
Weasel

Postby DanaussieII » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:30 am

Thanks AdmiralGrafSpee and Spike1382, yes I'm a huge lover of the Counties, I hope to have HMAS Australia, HMAS Shropshire done by the end of this year, I'm not quite happy with my basing at the moment for the W@S minis but I think I'm getting there.

Thank you very much for your comments. :D :D :D

Dan
rcbecker123
Weasel

Postby rcbecker123 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:26 pm

Hey Dan that ship looks sweet.

(Formerly rcbecker1)