Ranges and table sizes

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Ranges and table sizes

Postby Greg Smith » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:27 pm

We find on a 6 x 4 table that big guns are immediately in range, so closing and turning isn't a huge issue.

Has anyone tried using centimetres? Does this make closing and maneuvering more important? And does it make it harder to get those ship-killing destroyers close enough to unleash torpedoes?
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Ranges and table sizes

Postby rcbecker1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Are you talking about VAS I? I believe the longest range is 47" but it has something in the rules about firing over 30" being a -2 to hit. So you may still move to get better shots.
As for metric you could change everything to metric (range and movement) and that would balance it I assume.

I like 6' x 12' for my game it seems optimal but is not always available.
"Official Naval Boffin"
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:25 am

Yes, VAS 1.

Optimum range is to 20-30 with a radar fix. Then you suffer no penalty, but gain the advantage of plunging fire.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:50 am

Just to give a flavouring, in VaS II 30" is considered the distance to the horizon so while it is possible to attack targets beyond that (if the target is absolutely stationary - like a harbour - and you have an observation plane over the target, and you are extremely lucky as the shells will not be accurate), the vast majority of fire takes place under 30" even if the guns themselves are capable of hefting shells much further.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com