Page 1 of 3

VAS 2 Update

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:14 pm
by rcbecker1
Ok for any of you guys who are following VAS 2 Im working on completing the OObs for Japan.
They have quite a list of subs to go through. But I have a question. For any Naval fanatics out there.
Are you looking for more in your fleet list than just warships? What I mean by this is Im thinking for fleets and OOBs we want the warships this is obvious but how much are we looking at oilers tankers and such. Do you feel exact list of all forces in the merchant marine are that important or is a list of some of the common vessels for each type enough to cover what is needed for your convoy and coastal gameing needs.
I myself feel some examples and a few commonly used ships fill the needs of the rules.
I would like your opinions.

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:31 pm
by Stumonster
I have to agree: Stats for most common types used and common makeup of convoys should be enough. Maybe some sample convoy make ups for scenarios would be good, with some "Ships In The Class" names.

I would think an OOB with every ship ever used to haul 'Beans and Bullets' here and there in WWII is a bit more than is required.

Just my two cents. Cant wait to see VAS 2. I have some cash burning a whole in my pocket waiting for it.

:)

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:30 pm
by Ecclesiastes
Common transports, oilers etc. for me. Just so you can play convoy games and such.

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:45 am
by rcbecker1
Thanks for the response everyone.
Ray

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:47 pm
by Rick
rcbecker1 wrote:Thanks for the response everyone.
Ray
Would have responded, but Ecclesiastes and Stumonster said it all - a few generic profiles would be fine.

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:36 pm
by leopard
+1 to a range of common types, I think the sort of stuff you have in the VaS1 and OOB is enough, perhaps a few specific examples of ships from more famous incidents but otherwise generic is more than enough really - the minor delta in speed is insignificant as warships are significantly faster anyway.

More detailed info is useful for campaign stuff but not required for the basic game.

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:08 am
by Ricepa
Agree with those above.

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:14 am
by rcbecker1
To clarify When Im saying OOB Im talking about ship names in classes. to help with listing for ship names for fleets. Now this is different than ship sheets for players to have ships stated out.

OOB:
Class Andrea Doria
Andrea Doria
Caio Duilio

But I figure armored cruisers, LSTs, coastal ships are good but again generic merchants will be generic. My goal with the new VAS is to allow you to buy the book and not only will you get a great game but tons of reseach and resource for your games. This will help people who are new or veteran players to naval games since you wont have to do the tons of research us older naval gamers have had to do for our gaming addiction.
Ray

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:50 am
by rcbecker1
While I have your attention Im trying to find some guys who like VAS and would be willing to join the demo team we could use some guys like you guys who like naval games. Also it will help build the hobby with some side benefit for guys who are hard workers.

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:58 am
by Ecclesiastes
rcbecker1 wrote:While I have your attention Im trying to find some guys who like VAS and would be willing to join the demo team we could use some guys like you guys who like naval games. Also it will help build the hobby with some side benefit for guys who are hard workers.
I might be interested to do some demo's in the Netherlands at local conventions and gamestores. But I assume this is for VaS2? Because it seems a bit lame to demo VaS1 when it will be OOP soon...

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:56 pm
by rcbecker1
Well we still need to demo VAS I till VAS II comes out which will be a little while yet. Also VAS I wets your exitment for VAS II. Plus there are other games to demo for people who like all the games. But talk to Al, MI cowardinator And get your trooper pack to sign up. I will most likely be running demos this year at Dragon Con and with some luck at Gen Con.
Ray :mrgreen:

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:29 pm
by Ecclesiastes
rcbecker1 wrote:Well we still need to demo VAS I till VAS II comes out which will be a little while yet. Also VAS I wets your exitment for VAS II. Plus there are other games to demo for people who like all the games. But talk to Al, MI cowardinator And get your trooper pack to sign up. I will most likely be running demos this year at Dragon Con and with some luck at Gen Con.
Ray :mrgreen:
I'm sorry, but I'll bide my time till VaS2 is out. I disagree that the first wets the excitement for 2, because the amount of time people will wait for a ruleset is not infinite. I demo'd VaS1 last year at our club, people were exited (and I thought about the trooper pack then) but noone bought the ruleset because v2 is in the works. Also people were excited about the miniatures but it took a full year for the next wave to be released after the river plate wave and all interest was long gone by then.

I'm not going to ask people to shell out money for a ruleset that is not supported anymore, has lots of stuff missing (stats, shiptypes) and has a general bad rules-layout when I know that something better is coming. Also judging by the reactions on the AAminis-site, TMP and my own gaming circle, mongoose seems to have a bad track record on releasing stuff and keeping dedicated to a game (i'm not in the loop long enough to confirm or deny this), so I'll temper my enthousiasm untill I have something in my hands to be enthousiastic about. If that happens, I'll be at the front line to promote you guys, because I think you have excellent miniatures and I think that the ruleset will be exactly the thing the naval wargaming hobby needs (a polished, good-looking and smooth playing navalgame, not a simulation).

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:19 pm
by AdmiralGrafSpee
Ray,

For Kreigsmarine it would also be nice to have some stats for some Auxiliary Cruisers. I'd personally be happy with just one set of stats, but I guess there was a fair bit of variation between them.

-Tim

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:44 pm
by rcbecker1
I have all the Auxillary cruisers and merchant raiders listed those are different from oilers and tankers and Freighters.
I believe I found about 10 different ones for Japan.
All the ones I could find for Germany and others are listed and have there own stats to be used in the game.
Ray

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:55 pm
by rcbecker1
Ecclesiastes wrote:
rcbecker1 wrote:Well we still need to demo VAS I till VAS II comes out which will be a little while yet. Also VAS I wets your exitment for VAS II. Plus there are other games to demo for people who like all the games. But talk to Al, MI cowardinator And get your trooper pack to sign up. I will most likely be running demos this year at Dragon Con and with some luck at Gen Con.
Ray :mrgreen:
I'm sorry, but I'll bide my time till VaS2 is out. I disagree that the first wets the excitement for 2, because the amount of time people will wait for a ruleset is not infinite. I demo'd VaS1 last year at our club, people were exited (and I thought about the trooper pack then) but noone bought the ruleset because v2 is in the works. Also people were excited about the miniatures but it took a full year for the next wave to be released after the river plate wave and all interest was long gone by then.

I'm not going to ask people to shell out money for a ruleset that is not supported anymore, has lots of stuff missing (stats, shiptypes) and has a general bad rules-layout when I know that something better is coming. Also judging by the reactions on the AAminis-site, TMP and my own gaming circle, mongoose seems to have a bad track record on releasing stuff and keeping dedicated to a game (i'm not in the loop long enough to confirm or deny this), so I'll temper my enthousiasm untill I have something in my hands to be enthousiastic about. If that happens, I'll be at the front line to promote you guys, because I think you have excellent miniatures and I think that the ruleset will be exactly the thing the naval wargaming hobby needs (a polished, good-looking and smooth playing navalgame, not a simulation).
There are other games Im just looking for guys to run demos and be Troopers in general.
But I do believe VAS I have gone to print for another run.
I also have tons of support as do others for VAS I But I do understand what your saying.
Since I am limited in what I can say as a co-author and not given all facts i cant say much about VAS II or when it will be published. I do know some things are in the works to help get it into publication and create a great game and i myself am pushing for full support from Mongoose. I intend to have forums with anything VAS II to keep it supported with lots of good stuff.
Example: Ship cards, full list and as acurate as possible, Scenarios, and more.
If a mistake is found it will be updated as soon as it is found.

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:18 pm
by rcbecker1
Just so you guys know this is one reason the books are not out yet we are still working on the ship list and stats and such. The rules are complete. I myself am starting on the OOB for the USA and the last major navy to complete the rest are done. There is a little more reseach on my part for comon wealth fleets such as Canada Poland and Austraila, also Spain and others the basics are done but they need some touch up. Ships stats for all classes are being finalized. I believe we are working on a few more scenarios for invasions and coastal battles then that part is complete. So keep up the faith and ill do my best to make you glad you waited.
Ray

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:15 pm
by AdmiralGrafSpee
rcbecker1 wrote:Just so you guys know this is one reason the books are not out yet we are still working on the ship list and stats and such. The rules are complete. I myself am starting on the OOB for the USA and the last major navy to complete the rest are done. There is a little more reseach on my part for comon wealth fleets such as Canada Poland and Austraila, also Spain and others the basics are done but they need some touch up. Ships stats for all classes are being finalized. I believe we are working on a few more scenarios for invasions and coastal battles then that part is complete. So keep up the faith and ill do my best to make you glad you waited.
Ray

Ray, great news. I really like the sound of all this. I'm very much okay with you taking the time you need to get it all right.

Awesome you'll have all those different Auxiliary cruisers. I picked up the Osprey book a while back and was fascinated with the war stories and the technical details of those ships.

-Tim

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:38 am
by rcbecker1
Well lets put it this way I hope I didnt miss any.
Ray

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:12 am
by Ecclesiastes
Question Ray;

On one hand it really excites me to see the amount of options and ships you guys seem to be putting into the game. But on the other hand it worries me a bit. I'm personally hoping for VaS to hit the sweet spot for an elegant and fast-playing game that I can really get people into quickly. It seems though that if the game accounts for every refit and rebuild that has been seen in the war that the amount of detailing will multiply.

Will the game still be a 'light' naval game, somewhere between War at Sea (which was extremely 'light) and General Quarters?

Re: VAS 2 Update

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:34 am
by msprange
Ecclesiastes wrote:
Will the game still be a 'light' naval game, somewhere between War at Sea (which was extremely 'light) and General Quarters?
It will - the options are all there, but you can use all the ships at their 'default' stats if you so wish.