Flights = how many?

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

mrobs2002
Shrew

Flights = how many?

Postby mrobs2002 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:20 am

Howdo all,

Recently re-discovered Victory At Sea, and having some fun. But, being a wargamer, I immediately want ships that aren't in the book. Managed to work out most of the stats, but struggling with the aircraft load for a carrier.

So, how many aircraft in real-life equal a flight in V@S?

Thanks, Martyn
msprange
Site Admin

Re: Flights = how many?

Postby msprange » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:27 pm

Generally speaking, it is a Flight of Four aircraft. However, for twin-engine bombers (like a Blenheim), it will be two, and large aircraft (Catalina, Condor Fw-200), one.

You can see the first fighters we have done here, as an example;

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/minia ... dfish.html

Hope that helps!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
mrobs2002
Shrew

Postby mrobs2002 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Aye, thanks for that Matt.

I'd worked it out to be 6/flight for bombers (i.e. Swordfish or Dauntless), and was coming up with a figure between 4 and 6 for fighters. Not helped by carriers not always sailing with their full complement of aircraft . . .

I'm using the original Victory at Sea rules, btw. I gather that Order of Battle expands the aircraft rules somewhat.

Cheers, Martyn
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:07 pm

I have quite a list of ships if your interested at; (believe this is the correct address, if you have any trouble let me know.)
Ray

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/show.ph ... 1&fclick=y
"Official Naval Boffin"
mrobs2002
Shrew

Postby mrobs2002 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:52 pm

rcbecker1 wrote:I have quite a list of ships if your interested at; (believe this is the correct address, if you have any trouble let me know.)
Ray

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/show.ph ... 1&fclick=y
Hmm, interesting. Your crew figures in the couple of examples I've looked at are wildly different from what I've computed.

E.g:
HMS Audacity - I have a crew figure of 19/6, you have 12/4.
USS Wasp - I have 87/29, you have 72/24

What formula are you using to generate the crew figure?

Cheers, Martyn
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:17 am

That stuff has some mistakes like wrong crew numbers and such on some ships. Which some may be from the book but most was given to me by someone else. Since Im using the VAS II rules for gaming and play testing I never went back to make corrections on the old stuff. When we are talking 100s of ships a few being not totally correct is small for the old system. Those issues are also why I got involved with the new VAS, to make sure mistakes like that dont show up in the new rules.
Since crew damage in the old rules are gone in the new version and most people dont use them Im not worried about correcting it at this time. It took a while to get all the formulas corrected for creating ships in the new system and with our team stating hundreds of ships I never found time to look at old ship sheets after that point. Remember they can be used as guides to do with as you please so if you find mistakes by all meens correct them for your games. Also feel free to ask on specific ships and I can correct them for you as I can not give out the formulas.

Our goal is the list every ship we can find information on for the new system. This go's from Coastal ships to Capital ships and even merchant raiders. The new ship list will be massive compared to the old rules. So hopefully eveyone can find what they want to play when it comes to WWII naval in the new rules. Even the invasion rules look great for the new system. I myself cant wait for this book to go to print then I can see these wonderful rules in book format for eveyone to use and enjoy.
Ray
"Official Naval Boffin"
mrobs2002
Shrew

Postby mrobs2002 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:58 pm

Ahh, fudge. I had a long reply written to this, but it disappeared when I pressed submit.

Never mind, good luck with v2, although reading State of the Mongoose, I do wonder if it'll ever see the light of day.

I'll continue to 'correct' ships for v1 to the formulas I've worked out.

Cheers, Martyn
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Well hopefully it was not a reply of frustration. If and when I get time I will get back to demoing VAS I and when this happens I will update sheets and offer them as updated also as I said if you want Im willing to help with ships you need. If it is possible you could send me your formula chart for the ship stats and I could offer a few suggestions if any are needed to match up with the books.
Ray

rcbecker1@bellsouth.net
"Official Naval Boffin"
mrobs2002
Shrew

Postby mrobs2002 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Heh, no, not frustration :) .

The only frustration I'm finding is that the original VaS ships were obviously all done to a formula, but the later ships in S&P drifted away from this.

Thanks for the offer on the stats, I think I'm good at the moment.

Cheers, Martyn