Turning ships

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

leopard
Weasel

Turning ships

Postby leopard » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Rules on turning are pretty clear, question though.

As written you pivot about the ships stern, would it not make more sense to pivot around the midpoint? All other measurement is from here?
Morsleib
Weasel

Re: Turning ships

Postby Morsleib » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:18 am

It does make more sense. It avoids the bows of longer ships sweeping through miles of sea. Ship miniatures are really only playing tokens representing a tiny point in a vast ocean so the orientation of the miniature is only to show the orientation of the actual ship. Turning from the middle then keeps the ship at the same point and just changes its direction.

Age of Dreadnoughts does in fact use the middle point so maybe this is something coming in v.2 of VaS?
leopard
Weasel

Postby leopard » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Hope so, its also a damn sight easier to use a template to actually turn the things.
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:25 pm

Sorry guys I dont think that came up in the discussion for the new rules but turning still works quite well in the new rules. I think better than in the old rules.
Ray
"Official Naval Boffin"
leopard
Weasel

Postby leopard » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:06 pm

More a thought with the current rules, if the newer ones work well in that they approximate what would actually happen as well as actually being playable I'm all for them.