Torpedo reloads

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Viktor_Renquist
Shrew

Re: New Axis Ship Stats & Allied Ship Stats

Postby Viktor_Renquist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:04 am

Stupidly, I forgot to address "Ultra Slow Loading" ... basically reloading the torpedo tubes was doable at sea, but took about 30 minutes, so I am treating Ultra slow as being able to launch each fourth turn
Myrm
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Myrm » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:21 pm

I'd suggest that that would be best left as One Shot - similar reloading times were given for many of the one shot rated japanese ships but various experts pointed out that although that was a reload time, it was not something that could feasibly be done in combat so in practical terms the torps in question were one shot.
Viktor_Renquist
Shrew

Postby Viktor_Renquist » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:00 am

Myrm wrote:I'd suggest that that would be best left as One Shot - similar reloading times were given for many of the one shot rated japanese ships but various experts pointed out that although that was a reload time, it was not something that could feasibly be done in combat so in practical terms the torps in question were one shot.
As far as the ship which carried a centreline torpedo mount (Stier) I would agree with you and will edit the entry to that effect. The other ships however, carried their tubes at the waterline (and, in the case of Widder, actually below the waterline, according to Duffy) and inside the hull. I feel this would allow reloads, however slow, in combat where the destroyers and cruisers you mentioned may not be able to achieve the same thing as the crew was exposed and, to say the least, a tad distracted during the reload process. I also rather suspect that, firing every fourth turn, the chance of the ships reloading and relaunching before they got sunk by the warships they would be facing would, to a great extent, render the question moot :)

Thanks for reading the entry and the feedback :)
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Torpedo reloads

Postby rcbecker1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:11 pm

I moved the discussion since your conversation was in a file just for stats.
Thanks Ray
"Official Naval Boffin"