Smoke special action question

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

jdagee
Cub

Smoke special action question

Postby jdagee » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:37 pm

Guys,

The Smoke SA states "Place a Smoke Counter on the ship, with its leading edge on the centre point so it trails behind the vessel."

I don't have the smoke counters, so how far behind the vessel does this trail? Is it from start of move to end of move (ergo, the length is equal to the speed of the ship, say 6")?

Thanks, and hope to hear VaS 2.0 is a go!

R, Jim
Spectrar Ghost
Stoat

Re: Smoke special action question

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:00 am

It's a 1" x 3" counter.
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:59 am

I think some cotton balls would work well for this. Maybe glue them on blue bases.
"Official Naval Boffin"
jdagee
Cub

Postby jdagee » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:27 pm

I can make the smoke pieces or counters, it's just the book didn't say how far it trailed alongside or behind the ship making it.

However, a 3" long smoke trail doesn't seem like it would make much difference, especially you're not the last model to move.

Thanks for the answers, guys, appreciate the help. Happy Holidays!

R, Jim
Spectrar Ghost
Stoat

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:35 am

Remember, it's not a three inch trail you need to worry about, it's a string of three inch trails with inch and a half long destroyers between the enemy and your big guns. It's even worse if you don't have radar and your opponent does.
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:43 am

I allways wondered about smoke only being 3" when you move 7" but the smoke disperses as you move so it going to be thickest behind you at the end of your move. maybe thats a way to look at it.
"Official Naval Boffin"
jdagee
Cub

Postby jdagee » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:42 pm

>> Since every ship can make smoke, not all will be DDs, especially if you use it to break contact or cover from launching torps. But, I'm thinking more about the opponent being able to flank your smoke counter with sequential movement, at close range, thereby nullifying it's advantage.
Spectrar Ghost wrote:Remember, it's not a three inch trail you need to worry about, it's a string of three inch trails with inch and a half long destroyers between the enemy and your big guns. It's even worse if you don't have radar and your opponent does.

>> This hits the nail on the head, very near my own thoughts. I would expect the smoke trail to be the length of your move, even if it disperses at the end of the turn; with the limited life of smoke, the dissipation time factor shouldn't be an issue for one turn.
rcbecker1 wrote:I allways wondered about smoke only being 3" when you move 7" but the smoke disperses as you move so it going to be thickest behind you at the end of your move. maybe thats a way to look at it.
Thanks again Guys!
R, Jim
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:25 pm

jdagee wrote:>> Since every ship can make smoke, not all will be DDs, especially if you use it to break contact or cover from launching torps. But, I'm thinking more about the opponent being able to flank your smoke counter with sequential movement, at close range, thereby nullifying it's advantage.
Spectrar Ghost wrote:Remember, it's not a three inch trail you need to worry about, it's a string of three inch trails with inch and a half long destroyers between the enemy and your big guns. It's even worse if you don't have radar and your opponent does.

>> This hits the nail on the head, very near my own thoughts. I would expect the smoke trail to be the length of your move, even if it disperses at the end of the turn; with the limited life of smoke, the dissipation time factor shouldn't be an issue for one turn.
rcbecker1 wrote:I allways wondered about smoke only being 3" when you move 7" but the smoke disperses as you move so it going to be thickest behind you at the end of your move. maybe thats a way to look at it.
Thanks again Guys!
R, Jim
Sorry Im just trying to guess the justification for the reason Mongoose choose for the rule.
Ray
"Official Naval Boffin"