Draft Minelaying Rules

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Draft Minelaying Rules

Postby DM » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:30 am

Morning all! I had some thoughts on minelaying rules for VAS, to augment what is in OOB on mine warfare, and based on the rules in AOD. Here's what I have so far. Comments welcome :)

Mine Laying in VAS

The minefield rules in VAS-OOB assume the presence of large defensive or offensive minefields, laid prior to the start of the game. Rules for minelaying were not included since, to be honest if its a defensive minefield you should be doing it in safety, close to your own bases, and if its an offensive minefield then laying one is a clandestine activity and if the enemy are present the mission is a bust. However, quite a few players have asked for the opportunity to lay minefields under the guns of the enemy.

Minelaying

Minefields laid during a game will be smaller than those deployed pre-game (large minefields took several “lays” to complete involving multiple ships, and had to be restocked to keep up the mine density).

Minefields can be laid by purpose-built minelaying ships and cruisers (e.g. the RN “Adventure” and “Abdiel” classes), or by destroyers and corvettes that are specially rigged for minelaying operations.

Mines dropped in the tactical scenario of a game are laid in “strips”, 6” long and 3” wide. Ships designated as minelayers can drop 1 strip if they are a corvette, 3 if they are a destroyer and 6 if they are minelaying cruisers, Minelaying is an automatic Special Action. The ship must be moving in a straight line at 4” or more (or at its maximum speed if this is less than 4”). Note the position at which minelaying commences. Once the ship has moved 6” (which may tame more than one turn to complete) the minefield marker is placed. Minefields are not effective in the turn in which they are laid.

Risk of Damage

Minelayers that are hit and suffer a “Magazine Explosion” critical hit and which still have mines onboard are destroyed in a catastrophic explosion.
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
Lincolnlog
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Lincolnlog » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:43 am

Cool, this sorts out the ground scale issue in the other thread also. Thanks David! :o
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:41 am

Thanks Again.
"Official Naval Boffin"
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:07 am

DM does this mean that instead of “strips”, 6” long and 3” wide. Means in VAS scale they would be "strips, 12" long and 6" wide for mine strips?

How does the movement change since the speed rates are the same between the games?
"Official Naval Boffin"