AOD turning question?

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

afilter
Stoat

AOD turning question?

Postby afilter » Thu May 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Recently read the AOD rules a couple of times.

I am confused on turning.

Page 6 states that a ship can turn twice in the movement phase: once when it completes the first half of it's total movement and a second time when at the end of the movement. So a ship with 3 pts can basically do a 180 degree turn every movement phase. The example of the HMS Iron Duke even demonstrates doing two turns in the same phase as long as you do the first turn at the halfway mark.

So what is the point of "agile" or "Battle Turn away"? You can already do this with every ship without the trait or making a special role.

Can someone please clarify...I did not see anything in the errata.

I can see normally allowing a ship to turn twice as long as it does not use more than the total of it's turn point during that phase. Ie. if you have three point move half use one point and then move the remainder and then trun 2 pts.

As written the "agile" trait is meaningless. The agile trait is basically just restating what every ship is already allowed to do in the basic turn rules.

TIA,
Aaron
Brass
Mongoose

Re: AOD turning question?

Postby Brass » Thu May 13, 2010 4:14 pm

afilter wrote:Recently read the AOD rules a couple of times.

I am confused on turning.

Page 6 states that a ship can turn twice in the movement phase: once when it completes the first half of it's total movement and a second time when at the end of the movement. So a ship with 3 pts can basically do a 180 degree turn every movement phase. The example of the HMS Iron Duke even demonstrates doing two turns in the same phase as long as you do the first turn at the halfway mark.

So what is the point of "agile" or "Battle Turn away"? You can already do this with every ship without the trait or making a special role.

Can someone please clarify...I did not see anything in the errata.

I can see normally allowing a ship to turn twice as long as it does not use more than the total of it's turn point during that phase. Ie. if you have three point move half use one point and then move the remainder and then trun 2 pts.

As written the "agile" trait is meaningless. The agile trait is basically just restating what every ship is already allowed to do in the basic turn rules.

TIA,

Ignore the Special Trait on p.14; as per p.6, all ships can turn twice per turn. The actual effects of the Agile trait can be found on p.13 in the listings for "Come About" and "Evasive". This has come up - and has been answered - a number of times on this forum but for some reason has never been added to the errata. FWIW, the incorrect version on p.14 is a holdover from the original WWII rules.
LT

I will bellow like the thunder drum, invoke the storm of war
A twisting pillar spun of dust and blood up from the prairie floor

from "When I Go" - Dave Carter
afilter
Stoat

Postby afilter » Thu May 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

I sure wish this forum were broken down into VAS and AOD sections. I did Search the 3 pages since AoD was released, but obviously missed that.

I was not sure if I was misreading or missing something.

Thanks again
Aaron