First Battle

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Warlord_Soth
Cub

First Battle

Postby Warlord_Soth » Sat May 01, 2010 10:31 am

Last night I played my first battle (not counting an intro game about a year ago), and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

We played the cruiser action of guadalcanal scenario, and faith decided I would command the heavily outnumbered IJN forces.
I conceded the game when my three cruisers (2 Aoba, 1 Furutaka) were destroyed.
At that time however, I had taken out 3 of his 4 cruisers and 2 of his 5 Fletchers

We did find however, that hitting was next to impossible in the entire scenario (night fight, small ships, flank speeding most of the time)

This meant that the game took quite a few hours to finish.

Your thoughts ?
GeekEGuy
Shrew

Postby GeekEGuy » Sun May 02, 2010 1:54 am

I'm new to the game as well. I also found destroyers impossible to hit. I never played a night game. I would imagine that would make things even more annoying. :)

Do you have the Order of Battle suppliment? It's a good book that addresses several of the issues you had with trying to hit fast moving ships. The biggest one being that all secondary guns ignore the fast moving ship modifier. Also shots within 10" (main or secondary guns) get +1 to hit. So that fast moving destroyer would be hit on a 5+ at 10" (4+ if you get his beam) with secondary weapons. That helps a lot.

Welcome to the game by the way. I'm hoping us newbies can breathe some life back into these forums. They tend to be pretty quiet.

P.S. Order of Battle is avalable as a PDF download from http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php . Looks like it $21 right now. Keep an eye on the site. They have sales all the time. I was able to pick it up there for $10 just last week.
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:25 am

The biggest one being that all secondary guns ignore the fast moving ship modifier. Also shots within 10" (main or secondary guns) get +1 to hit. So that fast moving destroyer would be hit on a 5+ at 10" (4+ if you get his beam) with secondary weapons. That helps a lot.

Where did you find +1 to beam shots with Secondaries I thought that was only Torpedoes.
Ray
"Official Naval Boffin"
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:50 am

Sorry found the rule about beam shots you are correct on this matter.
Ray
"Official Naval Boffin"