Scenario Packet Posted

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Soulmage
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Scenario Packet Posted

Postby Soulmage » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:41 am

I'm working on a number of scenarios for Victory at Sea. I just posted a quickie to my VaS site inspired by the GHQ scenario of the same idea.

I've got several others I'm working on, but I'm also doing them for another system as well, so its taking a while. I will post here when I've got the VaS stats all finished and ready to go!

In the meantime, here's a little beer and pretzels scenario for a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon!

http://victoryatsea.pbwiki.com
Dog_Date
Cub

Postby Dog_Date » Fri May 02, 2008 10:24 am

Thanks for that Soulmage, nice scenario.

I had a game of this with a mate, and the IJN handed the USN their backsides to them on a plate. The IJN lost the 3 older units, with the Mushashi about 30% damaged, and the Yamato about 10% damaged.

The US limped off with 1 ship left.

A highlight (for the IJN) was the demise of the Penssylvania in one turn?? Spectacular action!!!

We used your rule suggestions, and they worked a treat. The only thing we didn't use is firing a whole squadron at a time (not that this is one of your rules anyway). We thought it would give the player with the initiative too great an advantage.
Soulmage
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Soulmage » Fri May 02, 2008 12:40 pm

Glad you enjoyed the scenario and the rules tweaks!

Yeah, the 7th Fleet Support Force is pretty badly outclassed by the Center Force due to the two Yamato class battleships.

To even things up a little, you could try it with only one Yamato, to reflect the sinking of the Musashi in the San Bernadino straight, along with a d6 damage to both the Yamato and Nagato for their respective bomb damage.

Alternately, you could play the second scenario which involves Task Force 34 against the Center Force. This encounter nearly happened in reality, and should provide a better match-up.
Dog_Date
Cub

Postby Dog_Date » Fri May 02, 2008 12:57 pm

I thought that replacing one or 2 of the US ships with an Iowa or two would do the trick as well.
Soulmage
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Soulmage » Fri May 02, 2008 12:57 pm

Oh I had meant to take out the rule about coordinated squadron fire. I've updated the rules to reflect that.
Dog_Date
Cub

Postby Dog_Date » Fri May 02, 2008 1:09 pm

Good decision IMHO.

I would hate to see a squadron of 4 Iowa’s have a turn before an opponent got to fire a unit off. That could make the opponents day very unpleasant!!
Soulmage
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Soulmage » Fri May 02, 2008 3:39 pm

That's actually a core rule that they can fire together. My mod was just not making them suffer from the concentration of fire modifiers.

You are correct though that somebody operating their ships in squadrons has a huge advantage over people who operate their ships independently. Despite loosing the initiative, the ability to cut loose with all that firepower simultaneously in the shooting phase makes a big difference.

Your idea of eliminating squadron fire altogether is not a bad one.

. . .. mmmmm. . . four Iowas. . . . :)
hegemon
Banded Mongoose

Postby hegemon » Fri May 02, 2008 4:30 pm

how about a broadside of 4 wyomings?
Why do planes fly??

Because we want them to!!

Business Systems lecturer: What is red tape?
Me: Beurocratic bullcrapp that we don't need
Best definition in years!! apparently