Using VaS with Avalon Hill Classics

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Taellik
Stoat

Using VaS with Avalon Hill Classics

Postby Taellik » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:17 pm

I picked up a group of old AH classic games ( Submarine, Bismarck, War At Sea, Midway, Victory In The Pacific) and was wondering if anyone has applied the VaS rules to play out some of these or the included scenarios in them?

Be fun to see if the Midway game translate well using VaS after movement/detection plotting has taken place on the search map. If so, I'd probably run a Con session as umpire/GM for the double blind search/recon and then do the actual combat resolution with VaS.

Just an idea . . .
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:04 pm

and a very good idea it is too. The approach is similar to using my "Hunting the Beast" operational campaign system that was in SP and (in a slightly modified form) in OOB. I've played in dozens (probably now hundreds) of campaigns of this type and they are a great way to play. Much more satisfying that simple face-to-face one-off tabletop battles.
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
Taellik
Stoat

Postby Taellik » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:53 pm

DM wrote:and a very good idea it is too. The approach is similar to using my "Hunting the Beast" operational campaign system that was in SP and (in a slightly modified form) in OOB. I've played in dozens (probably now hundreds) of campaigns of this type and they are a great way to play. Much more satisfying that simple face-to-face one-off tabletop battles.
Your write-up and included hex map contributed to wondering if the AH games can be used as the initial game with VaS as the tactical resolution for any combat taking place.
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:04 pm

and so the cycle is complete..... :D
juggler69uk
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby juggler69uk » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:32 pm

DM wrote:and so the cycle is complete..... :D
Im not cycling anywhere, walking round the table is enough for me :lol:
Its not whether you win or lose.......
....... oh wth win anyway
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:43 pm

Yeah, I know a few wargamers who would break out into a heavy sweat walking around a 6x4 table :)
spartacus70
Cub

Postby spartacus70 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:52 pm

If you are looking for Hex map, give a try to the Avalanche Press Second World war at Sea series. In fact, the Operational game Maps come in squares representing about 36 nautical miles, and each turn equals 4 hours of real time. The counters represents 1 ship (or a fleet if you regroup them) and each step of aicrafts represents 6 aircrafts (nearly a flight in Victory at sea).
So this is easy to adapting (same scale) light rules but covering the main operationals topics (reminding in many ways the DM rules Hunting the Beast) and, cause its important too, the material is beatiful.
You can choose from the range of the serie any theatre of operation of the WWII.
Personaly i'm actualy playing the short campain called Eastern Fleet sets in the Indian Ocean.
Taellik
Stoat

Postby Taellik » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:33 pm

spartacus70 wrote:If you are looking for Hex map, give a try to the Avalanche Press Second World war at Sea series. In fact, the Operational game Maps come in squares representing about 36 nautical miles, and each turn equals 4 hours of real time. The counters represents 1 ship (or a fleet if you regroup them) and each step of aicrafts represents 6 aircrafts (nearly a flight in Victory at sea).
So this is easy to adapting (same scale) light rules but covering the main operationals topics (reminding in many ways the DM rules Hunting the Beast) and, cause its important too, the material is beatiful.
You can choose from the range of the serie any theatre of operation of the WWII.
Personaly i'm actualy playing the short campain called Eastern Fleet sets in the Indian Ocean.
I took a look at the Eastern Fleet game and found a copy on eBay within my budget to order & try out when it arrives. The Leyte Gulf one is insanely priced approx. $199.00 USD !!!
spartacus70
Cub

Postby spartacus70 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi ! Don't panick about Leyte Gulf. It's someting like a monster colection edition... In fact you can recreate the pacific war without it. Eastern Fleet is the lighter one, not by rules meaning, but scenarios contents (7 historicals and 2-3 hypoticals). You can go see by yourself at the Avalanche Press site.
Let me know your impressions.

PS. Excuse for the poor quality of my english, i'm french spoken born...
Taellik
Stoat

Postby Taellik » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:33 pm

spartacus70 wrote:Hi ! Don't panick about Leyte Gulf. It's someting like a monster colection edition... In fact you can recreate the pacific war without it. Eastern Fleet is the lighter one, not by rules meaning, but scenarios contents (7 historicals and 2-3 hypoticals). You can go see by yourself at the Avalanche Press site.
Let me know your impressions.

PS. Excuse for the poor quality of my english, i'm french spoken born...
I went to Avalanche's site...thats why picked the Eastern Fleet game to be my guinea pig purchase...was affordable and to see if suitable for what I have in mind to try out.

I've had no problem so far with your Canadian english...lol :)
Taellik
Stoat

Postby Taellik » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:10 am

My Eastern Fleet game order arrived today.

After a quick read-thru, it has potential ! :D

Will probably run the first battle scenario - Escape From Java as hybrid of hidden movement and using VaS rules for the tactical combat.