News from the Blog

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

News from the Blog

Postby DM » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:58 pm

VAS news in the latest blog in case anyone missed it:
* A writer has been assigned for Victory at Sea: Modern Age (working title), though that won't appear until much later this year. However, Victory at Sea: Age of Dreadnoughts is due to go to layout next month, so keep your eyes peeled. As soon as the current mad rush has passed, I'll be settling down to either VaS: Napoleonic Wars or VaS: Pirates, not sure which yet. Did occur to me that they could be combined, but I am not sure that would 'feel' right.
In case anyone wasn't aware its me working on AoD. The rules are coming together nicely, with the playtesters doing a darned good job of finding bits that I thought I'd explained well - but obviously not well enough :)

Oh, and a note for Matt - I agree about the "feel"; keep the Napoleonics and Pirate genres separate (and aim the former at the Peter Pig 1/450 models or those horrid flat things (:D) and the latter at the rather nice 1/1200 models from Langton et al.
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
juggler69uk
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby juggler69uk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:58 pm

SEPERATE :o

And there was me hoping to use my plethora of wizkids PosM ships for both sets
Its not whether you win or lose.......
....... oh wth win anyway
Ballentyne
Shrew

Postby Ballentyne » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:13 pm

VaS Napoleonics and Vas Pirates should be seperate, I mean come on.. the golden age of piracy, even the time when the most popular pirates are out are quite different from the Napoleonic era... ships, technology, everything. Bit of a buff on Pirates and Napoleonics so who do I throw dancing girls at to help out on those two :D
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Poi » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:30 pm

Modern Age worries me. Modern naval warfare is not about guns and torpedoes, but beyond line of sight missiles and aircraft.

Will this be any fun?
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
pbeccas
Stoat

Postby pbeccas » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:39 pm

Modern age really excites me. I can't wait.

WWII is about over the horizon guns and we enjoy that on a 4x6.

Modern age will be just as fun.
"There will be no Dunkirk here. If we have to get out we will fight our way out. There will be no surrender and no retreat" Australian General Les Morshead. Hero of Tobruk. The first to defeat the Nazi's in WWII.
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:46 pm

Modern Age worries me. Modern naval warfare is not about guns and torpedoes, but beyond line of sight missiles and aircraft.

Will this be any fun?
Its possible. I've authored "Bulldogs Away", a set of rules for modern fast attack craft which is available through Wargames Online and that is certainly fun (at least the people who have bought it reckon it is so who am I to argue? :) ) - although it does of course deal with the lower end of the warfare spectrum. I did avariant of General Quarters that covered the falklands campaign and medium sizxed actions and again that worked well and was a hoot (unless you were commanding the Argentine garrison forces in one of our refights - then it was just pure exocet-driven agony!)

So, as you move up to the full range of modern naval warfare its not really a question of "can it be done?", more "can it be done well?" This is, IMHO, one of the toughest nuts to crack - there have been some good examples in the past, some not so good - on this front time will tell :)
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
Thunder
Weasel

Postby Thunder » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:35 am

juggler69uk wrote:SEPERATE :o

And there was me hoping to use my plethora of wizkids PosM ships for both sets
I would use the exact same ships for either rule sets myself! I especially like the Viking, Asian and oared galleys.

Peace
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:05 am

Poi wrote:Modern Age worries me. Modern naval warfare is not about guns and torpedoes, but beyond line of sight missiles and aircraft.
This is a concern for me too - we'll be keeping an eye on this one!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Eisho
Mongoose

Postby Eisho » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Napoleonics sounds very interesting.

And with regard to WWI - will there be any space for Russo-Japanese war of 1904-1905?

Cheers,

Eisho
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:20 pm

Eisho wrote:
And with regard to WWI - will there be any space for Russo-Japanese war of 1904-1905?
We did look at that - however, for reasons of space, that will likely be a supplement to AoD.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com