Victory at Sea Quality of Binding

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Rolls Dice
Shrew

Victory at Sea Quality of Binding

Postby Rolls Dice » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:49 am

I know binding issues have been discussed under other Mongoose systems but the Search function revealed nothing within VaS.

I tried to buy VaS from shows during the Autumn but each copy I picked up was so poorly bound that the pages within were warped; the books would not even open fully and were fit only for the bin.

I have been unwilling to buy online in case I receive similarly poor product. I tried to contact Mongoose directly about this but they did not reply.

Has this binding problem been resolved? Has the bad stock been recalled and destroyed? If not, have Mongoose been happy to replace faulty stock if bought from a 3rd party? If I order directly from Mongoose will I receive quality product?

If anyone can help me with any of the above before I lose enthusiasm and go back to using GQ I would be very grateful.

Adrian.
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Poi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:22 am

Mongoose claim it has been resolved, but I saw copies of OOB at Warfare that were very warped.

The guy on the Mongoose stand just shrugged his shoulders in resignation when I held up a book to see how flat it was (or wasn't in this case).
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
Taellik
Stoat

Postby Taellik » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:09 am

Binding doesn't matter much to me - I pull out all the pages & put them in plastic sleeves in a 3-ring binder to protect the pages from all the flipping, spills, stains, rips, etc. players would put on them from flipping thru the rules while playing.
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Poi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:19 am

If you're going to do that, no point buying a printed copy at all, may as well stick with the pdf.
Poi

msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi guys,

Very few copies of VaS should be affected by this, and all copies of OoB now produced are not exhibiting this problem. If you are unfortunate enough to find a poor copy, let us know, and we will replace it immediatly.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Rolls Dice
Shrew

Postby Rolls Dice » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:01 pm

Perhaps I beat the odds in spotting so many duff copies. It looks like my best bet is ordering direct from Mongoose; less likely to be holding on to old stock...?

Thanks.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:23 pm

Rolls Dice wrote:Perhaps I beat the odds in spotting so many duff copies. It looks like my best bet is ordering direct from Mongoose; less likely to be holding on to old stock...?
It shouldn't make a difference - we have been very proactive about tracking books down with both retailers and distributors.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
mutantpoo
Banded Mongoose

Postby mutantpoo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:18 pm

msprange wrote:Hi guys,

Very few copies of VaS should be affected by this, and all copies of OoB now produced are not exhibiting this problem. If you are unfortunate enough to find a poor copy, let us know, and we will replace it immediatly.
Does that include sending the damaged book back as overseas shipping could be a factor.
Captain............" FIRE AT WILL ! "

Will.................." OH GOD NO ! PLEASE NOT AGAIN ! STOP STOP !!!!!!!!!! "
Wishbone
Mongoose

Postby Wishbone » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:15 pm

i pre-ordered my copy online from mongoose and it turned up in excellent condition. No complaints here.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:32 am

mutantpoo wrote:
msprange wrote:Hi guys,

Does that include sending the damaged book back as overseas shipping could be a factor.
There will be no cost to you.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Binding

Postby rcbecker1 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:52 am

I bought VAS and ten minutes into reading my binding came apart so the next day with the proper glue I proceeded to reglue the binding only to notice that due to my being in a hurry I now have the only copy of VAS where you start at the back of the book with the cover upside down to read the first page.
My OOB has seemed to fair much better.
rcbecker1
"Official Naval Boffin"
Soulmage
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Soulmage » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:22 pm

I haven't had any problems with either book.
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Poi » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:29 pm

I bought VAS as hard copy before Mongoose had their own print facility. It's fine.

I saw a copy of OOB at a show. I bought the pdf, not the book.
Poi