War at Sea

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Lincolnlog
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Lincolnlog » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Fortunately, many small class commons are based on British destroyer classes. So will probably make Brit's out of the extras.
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:07 pm

Agreed I just do the same extra J class or what ever become Dutch or Canadian or Australian as needed.
"Official Naval Boffin"
Lincolnlog
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Lincolnlog » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Got it thanks. Looks good on initial glance. Especially the critical hit charts. The charts in the rules didn't take dice combo's into account, and it cased 80% of all critical hits to be Engines. These spread them out a little better.
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:56 pm

thanks hope its helpfull.
"Official Naval Boffin"
fmagaw
Cub

Postby fmagaw » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:54 am

The War at Sea Miniatures ar a lifesaver for me as it allows me to get my non painting friends involved in this game. I have built fleets for all the major powes and since I can't paint like you young dexterous souls anymore,I need to use as many predones as I can. :)
Just because I use plastic minis to play doesn't make our battles any less fun :?
Anyhow with the 5 sets available you can field just about all the ships in the current VaS/OoB books.
I FRAKIN' LOVE IT!!!
When all else fails,get a bigger hammer.
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Agreed. :D :D :D
"Official Naval Boffin"
afilter
Stoat

Postby afilter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:10 pm

I like the WaS game, so moving over to VaS and others it just makes sense to use the same minis. Yes they are plastic, but that is a bonus to me not a negative. I have dropped too many GHQ or even PS models and they spent time glueing parts back on after a slur of colorful adjectives.

With no more effort than painting a GHQ of other model the WoTC ships can be made to look pretty ggod as other shave demonstrated.

Here is my latest USS Houston (CA-30)
Aaron
Captain Chum
Weasel

Postby Captain Chum » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:06 pm

I have read here on another thread that Mongoose was very close to getting there own miniatures for VAS and then it fell through. Not sure if they will get them for the coming year but it seems they want to venture back into more miniatures in 2011 for some of their games.
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 pm

yes
"Official Naval Boffin"
AxisFan67
Weasel

Postby AxisFan67 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:49 pm

I have been playing W@S for a couple of years now and I have to say I really enjoy it. Those of us with little time to paint W@S minis are a godsend. I just picked up V@S as well as Naval Thunder. I look forward to trying both games.

If anyone is interested in checking out our current campaign for W@S you can check it out here:

http://wascampaign.blogspot.com/

The rules for the campaign are generic enough that, with little modification, they could be used for V@S. Those rules are the first post in January.

I live in Ellicott City, MD and am looking for someone who has played V@S to game with.
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm

If you need any help with stuff let me know .
VAS support team.
Mongoose Infantry Ray
"Official Naval Boffin"
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:00 am

Captain Chum wrote:I have read here on another thread that Mongoose was very close to getting there own miniatures for VAS and then it fell through. Not sure if they will get them for the coming year but it seems they want to venture back into more miniatures in 2011 for some of their games.
Thing is WWII is already well served in both high price high quality miniatures and low price low quality miniatures, so there isn't really a hole in the market for Mongoose to step into.

That leaves either miniatures tied to a licence or picking an under served historical period and making it popular by providing rules and tie in minis.
Old B5W developer and professional shut in.
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:25 am

Yeah the mini thng for WWII is gone so its a dead topic now but I do like using the WAS minis to play VAS.
Ray
"Official Naval Boffin"