again website update - manufactures and scale comparison

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Lord David the Denied
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4260
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:39 am
Location: Northampton, UK

Postby Lord David the Denied » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:44 pm

The two photos look identical, Reaverman. Am I losing the plot or did you upload the wrong picture? :P
Reaverman
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3778
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:29 pm
Location: Camberley/Surrey/UK
Contact:

Postby Reaverman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:53 pm

Lord David the Denied wrote:The two photos look identical, Reaverman. Am I losing the plot or did you upload the wrong picture? :P
LOL...no its my fault...3 hours sleep...been sorted now
Image

Free Hiffano's Mothership!
Lord David the Denied
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4260
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:39 am
Location: Northampton, UK

Postby Lord David the Denied » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:15 pm

Nice. Those are some good models.
BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3858
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:51 am
Location: Near Mt. St. Helens (that volcano)

Postby BuShips » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:29 pm

Reaverman, those should paint up nicely. What I did for water (many years back) was to use artists acrylic paint, straight from the tube and lay down a sculpted water texture. After letting that dry, I came back with a watered=down white acrylic and did the wave tops and ship's wake.
©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
Image
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1052
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 10:44 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Postby Agis » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:18 pm

Hi again,

the 1/6000 Graf Spee arrived on Monday.
So here you have the ultimate scale comparison... :wink:

Image
The above picture shows a 1/24000 GHQ Graf Spee, a 1/3000 Skytrex/DAVCO and the 1/6000 Figurehead counterpart. Movable main turrets and individual secondary weapons on the GHQ model, 1 piece cast on guns on the Skytrex model. Note also that there are no barrels on the secondary weapons, no rescue boats, no planes, no anchor chains etc. on the smaller models. The detail level on the 1/3000 and the 1/6000 ships are however the same!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
Image
Reaverman
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3778
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:29 pm
Location: Camberley/Surrey/UK
Contact:

Postby Reaverman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:33 pm

Agis wrote:Hi again,

the 1/6000 Graf Spee arrived on Monday.
So here you have the ultimate scale comparison... :wink:

Image
The above picture shows a 1/24000 GHQ Graf Spee, a 1/3000 Skytrex/DAVCO and the 1/6000 Figurehead counterpart. Movable main turrets and individual secondary weapons on the GHQ model, 1 piece cast on guns on the Skytrex model. Note also that there are no barrels on the secondary weapons, no rescue boats, no planes, no anchor chains etc. on the smaller models. The detail level on the 1/3000 and the 1/6000 ships are however the same!
I have the equilvelant in for the York.....they look like a family...Daddy, Mummy, and lil'baby
Image

Free Hiffano's Mothership!
Reaverman
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3778
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:29 pm
Location: Camberley/Surrey/UK
Contact:

Postby Reaverman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:02 pm

@ Agis

I got that Blue water effect today, it says to leave it it dry for 24hrs. Does that include for model bases, or do you paint over it as soon as it dries out properly?

Image
Image

Free Hiffano's Mothership!
Lord David the Denied
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4260
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:39 am
Location: Northampton, UK

Postby Lord David the Denied » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:04 pm

Do the turrets on the cruisers move? You said the battleships' turrets moved, right?
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1052
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 10:44 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Postby Agis » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:07 pm

Reaverman wrote:@ Agis

I got that Blue water effect today, it says to leave it it dry for 24hrs. Does that include for model bases, or do you paint over it as soon as it dries out properly?
I prime it as soon as it is dry.
See:
"4 - apply Vallejo watereffect with an old brush, "sculpt" the waves on
5 - prime the whole thing after drying "

BTW: You sure like these waves BIG, eh? :lol:
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
Image
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1052
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 10:44 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Postby Agis » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:10 pm

Lord David the Denied wrote:Do the turrets on the cruisers move? You said the battleships' turrets moved, right?
On the GHQ models I assembled all the main guns were movable.
Only on the Destroyers and Subs the guns are fixed.

On a model like the GHQBismarck the 4 main turrets and the 6 secondary turrets are individual pieces, you will need some time to assemble...
:wink:
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
Image
Reaverman
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3778
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:29 pm
Location: Camberley/Surrey/UK
Contact:

Postby Reaverman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:10 pm

Lord David the Denied wrote:Do the turrets on the cruisers move? You said the battleships' turrets moved, right?
When you get the model, the Turrets are seperate, I've glued my down. I cant see any point in leaving them loose. They just wobble and fall off
Image

Free Hiffano's Mothership!
BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3858
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:51 am
Location: Near Mt. St. Helens (that volcano)

Postby BuShips » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:39 pm

Reaverman wrote:When you get the model, the Turrets are seperate, I've glued my down. I cant see any point in leaving them loose. They just wobble and fall off
Yeah, even on the 1-to-1 scale Bismarck when she capsized, all of the turrets wobbled and fell out. See what happens when you don't glue 'em down? :lol:
©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
Image
Reaverman
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3778
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:29 pm
Location: Camberley/Surrey/UK
Contact:

Postby Reaverman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:49 pm

BuShips wrote:
Reaverman wrote:When you get the model, the Turrets are seperate, I've glued my down. I cant see any point in leaving them loose. They just wobble and fall off
Yeah, even on the 1-to-1 scale Bismarck when she capsized, all of the turrets wobbled and fell out. See what happens when you don't glue 'em down? :lol:
LOL...aint tanks the same :P
Image

Free Hiffano's Mothership!
Reaverman
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3778
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:29 pm
Location: Camberley/Surrey/UK
Contact:

Postby Reaverman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:55 pm

Agis wrote:
Reaverman wrote:@ Agis

I got that Blue water effect today, it says to leave it it dry for 24hrs. Does that include for model bases, or do you paint over it as soon as it dries out properly?
I prime it as soon as it is dry.
See:
"4 - apply Vallejo watereffect with an old brush, "sculpt" the waves on
5 - prime the whole thing after drying "

BTW: You sure like these waves BIG, eh? :lol:

Too right, I dont like ships on Millponds :twisted:

DM's post being a good example :)

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB ... hp?t=22835
Image

Free Hiffano's Mothership!
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: London

Postby Jellicoe » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:00 pm

Reaverman wrote:
Too right, I dont like ships on Millponds :twisted:

DM's post being a good example :)

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB ... hp?t=22835
Yeah, but your seas aren't choppy enough to replicate that film yet :D
BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3858
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:51 am
Location: Near Mt. St. Helens (that volcano)

Postby BuShips » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:01 pm

Reaverman wrote:
BuShips wrote:
Reaverman wrote:When you get the model, the Turrets are seperate, I've glued my down. I cant see any point in leaving them loose. They just wobble and fall off
Yeah, even on the 1-to-1 scale Bismarck when she capsized, all of the turrets wobbled and fell out. See what happens when you don't glue 'em down? :lol:
LOL...aint tanks the same :P
Yup, in fact they are. Hmm, this makes for a wild idea for a sci-fi story. An alien race comes with large ships, armed with magnets that suck up all the guns on the ships and tanks we all have. Oops, we lose! :lol:
©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
Image
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: London

Postby Jellicoe » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:28 pm

BuShips wrote:
Yup, in fact they are. Hmm, this makes for a wild idea for a sci-fi story. An alien race comes with large ships, armed with magnets that suck up all the guns on the ships and tanks we all have. Oops, we lose! :lol:
Kind of like the original War of the Worlds then. :)
BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3858
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:51 am
Location: Near Mt. St. Helens (that volcano)

Postby BuShips » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:45 pm

Jellicoe wrote:
BuShips wrote:
Yup, in fact they are. Hmm, this makes for a wild idea for a sci-fi story. An alien race comes with large ships, armed with magnets that suck up all the guns on the ships and tanks we all have. Oops, we lose! :lol:
Kind of like the original War of the Worlds then. :)
Yeah, tenticles are good, too! :lol:
©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
Image
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: London

Postby Jellicoe » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:58 pm

BuShips wrote:
Yeah, tenticles are good, too! :lol:
This is serious stuff though :D


http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/8 ... orlds.html

Tentacles or fire - there is a choice.

Just google "war of the worlds thunderchild" for the options
knuckles
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 734
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 1:16 am
Location: Port Moresby - Papua New Guinea

Postby knuckles » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:44 am

Has anybody got any pics of the Navwar range. I love the look of the GHQ but for the price of one ship I can get a whole Fleet Pack from Navwar. Just nor sure on the quality. Pics and comments would be appreciated
Mi Pinim big pella natnat na kisim deewy na killim het bilong em!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests