Fleet size/composition

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

shakespear
Mongoose

Fleet size/composition

Postby shakespear » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:11 pm

Since it is based on ACTA, I am assuming we will build fleets the same way? patrol/skirmish/raid/war/ect

5 point raid will be the standard?

Anyway we could get a look at the fleet lists so we can have 2 fleets handy when the book comes out?

I definatly want a US fleet, maybe a japanese one to play against?
Reaverman
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reaverman » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:30 pm

I dont know, looking at the ships so far. I thinkmaybe Battle, would be the average :S

Free Hiffano's Mothership!
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:59 pm

Most of the players I know who are thinking of giving the rules a spin won't be using the system in the rules, preferring to use historical fleet lists or OOBs from actual battles instead.
E Nicely
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby E Nicely » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:13 pm

As far as PLs go there really isn't a standard point value or level (yet). I've played mostly Raid and Battle.
Project Lead and Contributing Designer, VaS Order of Battle
Mongoose Playtester
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:32 am

DM wrote:Most of the players I know who are thinking of giving the rules a spin won't be using the system in the rules, preferring to use historical fleet lists or OOBs from actual battles instead.
Same here. The class system like that does not do it for me in conection to VaS. Its not too difficult to find out OOB. Many engagements were fought with unbalanced forces anyway.
Wulf Corbett
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Wulf Corbett » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:57 am

DM wrote:Most of the players I know who are thinking of giving the rules a spin won't be using the system in the rules, preferring to use historical fleet lists or OOBs from actual battles instead.
While I agree with this for historical battles, I do loves me some campaign action - but there, of course, fleet sizes and PL can vary!

Wulf
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:36 am

So you're thinking of giving the rules a spin, by using some completely different rules?

My brain hurts.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:49 am

No, they want to use the combat rules but will ditch the system used in VaS to generate fleets, instead using historical orders of battle for various campaigns and actions.
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:56 am

Burger wrote:
So you're thinking of giving the rules a spin, by using some completely different rules?

My brain hurts.
IMO we have 2 VaS gamer "types".
The historical oriented (see above DM) and the gaming oriented.
For the historical oriented the PL system is nice to have, but he just picks the ships he has in the historical engagement and plays it. As said above often with unbalanced forces...
The gamer will use the PL system of the rulebook.
Both approaches are IMO valid. I see reasons for both points of view.
Personally I am more gaming oriented. I would happily use ships against each other that could not be on the same table because their service date is not fitting. The problem with the only gaming approach is that you have a tendency for cherry picking.
I had a playtest game against the IJN. The IJN has very good torpedoes, so most of the fleet of my opponent were torp carrying Destroyers... :(

Bottomline for me: I still depends on the ´players involved, there is no right or wrong. :D

To answer the initial question: Yes you build fleets the same way as in ActA. patrol/skirmish/raid/war/ect
Raid lvl brings you apr. 2h of playing time.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:28 am

Bottomline for me: I still depends on the ´players involved, there is no right or wrong.
Absolutely agree :)
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:08 pm

The oceans are big enough to accomadate all.