Measuring with Mini's in VAS

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:39 pm

Just a quick quote from the latest playtest version:
"Players must always measure from the centre point of their ships to the centre point of their targets when checking for both range and
whether a target lies in an appropriate fi re arc. If players are using miniatures, pick a point common to all ships (such as the bridge) and use
that as the centre point instead."
:wink:
I hope that clears thinks up...
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:12 pm

Agis wrote:Just a quick quote from the latest playtest version:
"Players must always measure from the centre point of their ships to the centre point of their targets when checking for both range and
whether a target lies in an appropriate fi re arc. If players are using miniatures, pick a point common to all ships (such as the bridge) and use
Seems very sensible.

BTW really nice ships you have there.
Zee Zee
Mongoose

Postby Zee Zee » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:52 pm

Given the scale of the ships(even 1/600th) to the game scale, even the largest ship is going to be the size of a dot on the board. If you have a squadron of ships moving line astern the actual scale distance they cover from lead ship to rear ship can be as much as 5 miles in game scale.
The general convention in most games is to use the one universal part of the ship which is always at the same place on a ship.The bow.
Winner of the 1993 worst die roller for 3 months award.

Iron Cross first class with oak leaves,cherries and little crunchy bits.

Nuke 'Em@ from orbit its the only way to be sure.
E Nicely
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby E Nicely » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:55 pm

Nice to see you posting Agis.

I measure from bridge to bridge. My group uses minis no counters.

Erik
Project Lead and Contributing Designer, VaS Order of Battle
Mongoose Playtester
mbtanker
Stoat

Postby mbtanker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:05 pm

This is an old issue and not as hard as it seems. Players simply choose where they want to measure from on a mini. Either you pick the physical center, inner most turret, bridge, or center funnel, etc. Decide before you play and you are good to go. Ships simply do not vary enough for it to be a real issue. And even with 30-50 ships on a side (a big game) you'll still only have a handful of different ship types with which to deal.

As others have mentioned, if you base your ships this becomes a non-issue as well. Alternatively, as has also been mentioned, it is very easy to paint a dot on a spot you want to be the center point (bridge or funnel the most common in my experience).
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:24 pm

Lowly Uhlan wrote:
Nice to see you posting Agis.

I measure from bridge to bridge. My group uses minis no counters.

Erik
Yeah, I am too lazy (or too occupied with other task...) on forums...
8)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:30 am

IWell quite a few carriers bridges are in fact NOT on the centerline but off to one side
That was exactly the point I was making. "standfast" = navyspeak for "except"; I'm afraid I spend so much time working with naval personnel and on board warships that I slip into the vernacular on a regular basis. I'm often picked up by my missus for referring to the floors and walls of the house as the decks and bulkheads, although she does accept that toilets are "heads", and she doesn't mind receiving a "bravo zulu" every now and again :)