VaS Product Ideas

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

mbtanker
Stoat

VaS Product Ideas

Postby mbtanker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:34 am

How about Mongoose team up with GaleForce 9 to produce not only turning templates but little splash/smoke markers as well? GF9 has them for 28mm scale and could easily do ones for 1/2400. I like their Babylon 5 maker/template products a lot.

An aviation expansion would be nice that perhaps gives more detailed air rules for carrier attack/defense scenarios.

Scenario/campaign books would be most welcome. Considering the fast play nature of VaS it would be perfect for this sort of thing.

A solitaire expansion could be intereting where the player takes the role of commanding a Wolf Pack vs an automated convoy. Conversly double-blind rules for the same thing could be very interesting for two or more players.

Painting guides!! I've had a heck of time trying to figure out what color to paint my ships. Not just the major ship color but the color of decks and camo are hard to find. If Mongoose could produce a basic guide for the major nations using popular paints (such as Vallejo) it would be very welcome within the naval mini gaming community.

Lots of great things to do with VaS. I look forward to it and hope it sells well.
mbtanker
Stoat

Postby mbtanker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:38 am

Oh, and as someone mention elsewhere a PT Boat expansion! Shift the scale slightly to have PT Boat's vs DDs and CAs! Also good actions with British and German MBTs.

GF9 could produce 'wake' markers! ;-)
E Nicely
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby E Nicely » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:08 am

I think products like GF9 templates would depend on how well the game sells. If you pay attention to S&P you'll probably see a whole lot of supplementary stuff in the near future. As far as published supplements go, that depends on sales too.
Project Lead and Contributing Designer, VaS Order of Battle
Mongoose Playtester
Wulf Corbett
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: VaS Product Ideas

Postby Wulf Corbett » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:22 am

mbtanker wrote:A solitaire expansion could be intereting where the player takes the role of commanding a Wolf Pack vs an automated convoy. Conversly double-blind rules for the same thing could be very interesting for two or more players.
The basic rules already include a good degree of uncertainty and leeway in sub-hunting.
Painting guides!! I've had a heck of time trying to figure out what color to paint my ships. Not just the major ship color but the color of decks and camo are hard to find.
Damn straight! I've had a devil of a job finding any myself, and none of them are in colour!

Wulf
Wulf Corbett
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Wulf Corbett » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:23 am

mbtanker wrote:Oh, and as someone mention elsewhere a PT Boat expansion! Shift the scale slightly to have PT Boat's vs DDs and CAs! Also good actions with British and German MBTs.
The existing scale copes quite well, and the initial ideas for including MTB, PTs, S-Boats, etc looked good.
GF9 could produce 'wake' markers! ;-)
Surely Wake Island was a bit big for that?

Wulf
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:04 am

Is there any interest in an opersational level campaign system? I have something that I've developed for use with other rules that would be easily adaptable to VaS for these sorts of campaigns.
Wulf Corbett
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Wulf Corbett » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:14 am

DM wrote:Is there any interest in an opersational level campaign system? I have something that I've developed for use with other rules that would be easily adaptable to VaS for these sorts of campaigns.
There are basic campaign rules in VaS that operate much like those in ACtA. If you have an idea how to fully mesh your ideas with VaS (after you have the game, of course), write an article for S&P!

EDIT: Oops... just noticed who I'm replying to :oops:

Wulf
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:17 am

lol no worries :) I'll get that article on the stocks when I get back from my latest trip away (currently surfing from Baltimore :))
The Greek
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Greek » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:30 pm

mbtanker wrote:
Painting guides!! I've had a heck of time trying to figure out what color to paint my ships. Not just the major ship color but the color of decks and camo are hard to find. If Mongoose could produce a basic guide for the major nations using popular paints (such as Vallejo) it would be very welcome within the naval mini gaming community.
Mountbatten Pink anyone?
wibble.
mbtanker
Stoat

Postby mbtanker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:10 pm

"Surely Wake Island was a bit big for that? "

No I meant ship wakes not the island. PT boats put out a heck of a spray at speed. It would be neat to have a little white 'template' that you put behind/around the PT boat just for visual effect.
mbtanker
Stoat

Postby mbtanker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:11 pm

"Is there any interest in an opersational level campaign system? "

Avalanche Press' 'WW2 at Sea' board games provide a great operational system. Of course that is a bit different from a campaign in the B5 sense.
Wulf Corbett
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Wulf Corbett » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:48 pm

mbtanker wrote:No I meant ship wakes not the island. PT boats put out a heck of a spray at speed. It would be neat to have a little white 'template' that you put behind/around the PT boat just for visual effect.
OK... next time remember smiley... 8)

Wulf
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:38 pm

Mongoose Acolyte wrote:
Mountbatten Pink anyone?
I'll second that. It is not so far fetched as the RAF desert camo is a shade of "pink"/khaki.
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:02 pm

Here’s an idea - aircraft counters in a Perspex casing. That’s something I would buy in bulk. The 1/3000 scale aircraft aren’t that spectacular and little cubes would be great. Like those they had on the BB2 war gaming show a few years ago, if anybody can remember that. This is something I would like for ACTA as the thought of assembling 40+ bases of fighters is just not appealing.
The Greek
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Greek » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:21 pm

Jellicoe wrote:
Mongoose Acolyte wrote:
Mountbatten Pink anyone?
I'll second that. It is not so far fetched as the RAF desert camo is a shade of "pink"/khaki.
Viscount Mountbatten had his destroyer flotilla painted in pink, hence the name. In some lighting conditions it made ships very difficult to see. In others it made them stand out like a sore thumb, but plenty of British ships were painted this colour at varying stages of the war.
wibble.