What minis are you going to use?

Discuss the Victory at Sea range of naval games.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:28 am

Wulf Corbett wrote:
Jellicoe wrote:No that must be a lighting problem (sorry) as they are unpainted.
Really? Carriers too? They LOOK brown...

Wulf
Hand on heart, they are absolutely grey as when they were made. Maybe its the autumn sun or I just need a new digi camera. The metal Navwar uses does not tarnish like the metal from the AOG for their B5W models.
Mac V
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Camo

Postby Mac V » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:27 pm

There's some great info at the Miniatures Page on naval camo. Look in the WWII sea boards.

As far as the A&A ships, well, I'm hoping, but WoTC has never failed to disapoint me yet. I'm witing for brown ships with a destroyer larger than an aircraft carrier, but we'l see.
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:39 pm

Has anyone seen Hallmark 1:6000 ships IRL, they will be pretty small obviously but whats the quality like? The only pic I can find online is a PDF that says they are quite good, but the pictures are horribly blurry and pixellated.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

mbtanker
Stoat

Postby mbtanker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:58 pm

Navwar? Oh, I thought their stuff was resin? Was that someone else or did they switch to metal at some point?
Wulf Corbett
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Wulf Corbett » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:53 pm

Burger wrote:Has anyone seen Hallmark 1:6000 ships IRL, they will be pretty small obviously but whats the quality like? The only pic I can find online is a PDF that says they are quite good, but the pictures are horribly blurry and pixellated.
Gorgeous. Unfortunately, although people are saying they are cheap, when the UK company who created them sold them to the US the prices shot up, so what you see now is... not to my taste... They are also a bit too small for visual identification unless you're an expert. Sure, you can label the bases, but It's not as impressive.

Wulf
Wulf Corbett
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Wulf Corbett » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:54 pm

mbtanker wrote:Navwar? Oh, I thought their stuff was resin? Was that someone else or did they switch to metal at some point?
As far as I'm aware Navwar ships and microarmour (which originated as Heroics & Ros) were always metal.

Wulf
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:57 pm

Wulf Corbett wrote:
mbtanker wrote:Navwar? Oh, I thought their stuff was resin? Was that someone else or did they switch to metal at some point?
As far as I'm aware Navwar ships and microarmour (which originated as Heroics & Ros) were always metal.

Wulf
They were metal. Does anybody make any models in resin?
oggie x
Stoat

Postby oggie x » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:52 pm

I've got some Hallmark range minis and they are nice for the size. But you will need a steady hand to put any real detail on them. The detail is good enough to show individual barrels from 12 guns up and life boats. Identification is surprisingly easy, well on my WW1 ships at class level it is. For individual ships it is a good idea to label the underside of the base. But this is easy.

But it is all very well me saying this. You want to see the things for yourself.
1. Go to www.seekrieg.com

2. Click on Resources tab and on the scroll down menu select Minatures suppliers.

3. There are several suppliers listed (so go ahead and look at them all for goodness sake). Anyway, for Hallmark/Figurehead 1/6000 click on the Strange Cargo Games link.

4. On the pages that comes up click on Figurehead 1/6000 scale ships.

5. At the bottom left of the periods list there is a link for 1:6000 World War 2, click it and browse to your hearts content (they have pics of almost all the models they do (not painted though).

If you are in the UK and want to get some of these go to www.magistermilitium.com (no pics here though).

Would have posted some examples of painted WW1 minis but camera said not on your life...cheers.

Hop this helps.

oggie
"What burns apart from witches"?

"Errrm...........MORE WITCHES"!!!!
Lord David the Denied
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Lord David the Denied » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:21 pm

The GHQ ships look good. Anyone know if there's a UK-based retailer for them? I'd really like to get models from inside the UK... less taxes and shipping to pay that way...
Mac V
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

1:6000

Postby Mac V » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:58 pm

Also for the 1:6000, Scale Specialties sells ID stickers for the bases of the Hallmark ships.

I like the 1:600, but the 1:2400 are soooooo nice.....
Zee Zee
Mongoose

Postby Zee Zee » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:27 pm

GHQ have new distributer for UK there may be a link on their U.S. website.Saying that I've ordered quite a lot of stuff direct form U.S with no problems and service is usually very good.They also have monthly special offers with at least one micronaut ship on it.
Winner of the 1993 worst die roller for 3 months award.

Iron Cross first class with oak leaves,cherries and little crunchy bits.

Nuke 'Em@ from orbit its the only way to be sure.
Zee Zee
Mongoose

Postby Zee Zee » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:33 pm

Also check out C in C in the states,nice range of ships,nearly up their in quality with GHQ,but a bit cheaper.Do a larger selction of British destroyers which are equal to GHQ except do not have masts.Do a nice cheap range of merchantmen also.
Winner of the 1993 worst die roller for 3 months award.

Iron Cross first class with oak leaves,cherries and little crunchy bits.

Nuke 'Em@ from orbit its the only way to be sure.
Lord David the Denied
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Lord David the Denied » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:22 pm

I don't see any links to UK suppliers on the GHQ site. I sent them an email to ask about it, but God knows when/if I'll get any info. Anyone else know anything?
The Greek
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Greek » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:34 am

You might want to try going to a local wargames show. Although you will get a slightly different range of traders in your neck of the woods that will be attending than the ones that attend shows down south there should be a good chance of a manufacturer/seller of ships turning up for one of the larger shows.
wibble.
BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BuShips » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:43 am

Jellicoe wrote:They were metal. Does anybody make any models in resin?
I realise that you are in the UK, but Panzerschiffe in Ohio makes a very full line in epoxy plastic in 1/2400 scale. Very affordable, too.

http://www.panzerschiffe.com/
©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
Reaverman
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reaverman » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:29 am

Lord David the Denied wrote:I don't see any links to UK suppliers on the GHQ site. I sent them an email to ask about it, but God knows when/if I'll get any info. Anyone else know anything?
Here you go dude;

http://www.wargamesemporium.co.uk/html/ghq.html

Free Hiffano's Mothership!
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:06 am

BuShips wrote:
Jellicoe wrote:They were metal. Does anybody make any models in resin?
I realise that you are in the UK, but Panzerschiffe in Ohio makes a very full line in epoxy plastic in 1/2400 scale. Very affordable, too.

http://www.panzerschiffe.com/
Thanks for that, most interesting. It is amazing how many different companies are producing ships in 1/2400 or 1/3000.
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:12 am

oggie x wrote:I've got some Hallmark range minis and they are nice for the size. But you will need a steady hand to put any real detail on them. The detail is good enough to show individual barrels from 12 guns up and life boats. Identification is surprisingly easy, well on my WW1 ships at class level it is. For individual ships it is a good idea to label the underside of the base. But this is easy.
Do you (or anybody else) have any pictures of the 1/6000 ships. None of the online stores seem to have any. It would be good just to see a comparison.
Reaverman
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reaverman » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:18 am

Jellicoe wrote:
oggie x wrote:I've got some Hallmark range minis and they are nice for the size. But you will need a steady hand to put any real detail on them. The detail is good enough to show individual barrels from 12 guns up and life boats. Identification is surprisingly easy, well on my WW1 ships at class level it is. For individual ships it is a good idea to label the underside of the base. But this is easy.
Do you (or anybody else) have any pictures of the 1/6000 ships. None of the online stores seem to have any. It would be good just to see a comparison.
The only ones I have, are Napoleonic. But I am buying 6 ships, 3 in 1/6000 and 3 in 1/3000 on Monday, hopefully will post painted pics next week. I'm getting a York class Heavy Cruiser, and 2 Leanders....any guess on what scenario I might be playing in the future?

Free Hiffano's Mothership!
Jellicoe
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jellicoe » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:39 am

Reaverman wrote:
The only ones I have, are Napoleonic. But I am buying 6 ships, 3 in 1/6000 and 3 in 1/3000 on Monday, hopefully will post painted pics next week. I'm getting a York class Heavy Cruiser, and 2 Leanders....any guess on what scenario I might be playing in the future?
Maybe something in South American waters?