Stun Bubble

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Stun Bubble

Postby alex_greene » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:19 pm

I was watching an episode of Stargate Atlantis recently. In that episode, the ingenious bad guys found a way to combine a Puddle Jumper's cloaking field with Wraith stunner technology to create a device which produced a membrane which expanded outwards rapidly, stunning everybody who came into contact with it.

Then I remembered the rules in Legend for Protective Ward - which, by the way, is described as "Protective Circle" in the text. And my incredibly cruel, devious mind came up with some hilarious ideas.

Idea 1: Protective Ward + Palsy
Instant stun bubble. Put an arm in, it comes out numb and frozen; stick your head in, lights out.

Idea 2: Protective Ward + Wrack
Whoever tries to impinge on the field is in for a lot of fun.

Idea 3: Protective Ward + Torment from Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic
Intense agony for whoever comes into contact with the field.

Idea 4: Protective Ward + Neutralise Magic
Instead of resisting someone's magic spells, it dispels them - particularly protective spells.

My thoughts keep coming back to the stun bubble. Wards could be developed which rely on the same principle: whatever crosses the warding line suffers instant unconsciousness, or at the very least if they only stick a limb in, it comes out paralysed.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
User avatar
Bifford
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Stun Bubble

Postby Bifford » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:52 am

They are deliciously evil lol :)

Be sure to add them to the Spells of Legend! :D
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1522
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Stun Bubble

Postby Prime_Evil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:07 am

Bifford wrote:Be sure to add them to the Spells of Legend! :D
*sigh* I really need to finish the next major update - unfortunately real life has kept me very busy for the past few months. I'm hoping that things will clear over the next month or so as I complete my Master's Degree :P

As an aside, I think that Legend (and RQ 6) are a bit light on wards and magical traps. I really like the idea of having some non-lethal options to disable intruders. And other ideas.
User avatar
Bifford
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Stun Bubble

Postby Bifford » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:53 am

Prime_Evil wrote:
Bifford wrote:Be sure to add them to the Spells of Legend! :D
*sigh* I really need to finish the next major update - unfortunately real life has kept me very busy for the past few months. I'm hoping that things will clear over the next month or so as I complete my Master's Degree :P
Real Life takes priority! :D Come Mid-February I'll have a second child to raise so I can imagine my time will get even more limited! lol. Anyway, best of luck with the MD! What's it in??
Prime_Evil wrote:As an aside, I think that Legend (and RQ 6) are a bit light on wards and magical traps. I really like the idea of having some non-lethal options to disable intruders. And other ideas.
I totally agree! I have a thief in my current game who would have loved such things.

I'm more than happy to help with Spells of Magic as usual.
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Stun Bubble

Postby alex_greene » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:32 am

I've posted something about wards to Google Docs. I've incorporated my houserule of the wards introduced in Arms of Legend.

Wards, by Alex Greene, for Mongoose Legend - Google Docs
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Olaus Petrus
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Stun Bubble

Postby Olaus Petrus » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:34 pm

I use similar energy fields or bubbles occasionally, usually in situations where players encounter some kind of hulking ancient interdimensional machine, which is surrounded by strange glowing energies. Or when they encounter some other powerful artifact of unknown magic and/or technology. Usually the scenario is that these bubbles are an obstacle which must be resolved somehow.

Effect of the energy field/bubble can be anything from simple stun and/or electric shock to radiation poisoning or (possibly demonic) mutation.
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Stun Bubble

Postby alex_greene » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:35 pm

The Legend Sorcery rules need a "Wall Of Force" spell to cover flat walls of force for one-way protection.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1522
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Stun Bubble

Postby Prime_Evil » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:59 am

Bifford wrote:Real Life takes priority! :D Come Mid-February I'll have a second child to raise so I can imagine my time will get even more limited! lol. Anyway, best of luck with the MD! What's it in??
I know...but Real Life isn't as much fun! :)

And having young children definitely does impact on your RPG time.

I'm currently doing a second Computer Science Masters in Information Security. It's good fun, but a lot of work.
Prime_Evil wrote:I totally agree! I have a thief in my current game who would have loved such things.
There are some rules in one of the MRQ II Wraith Recon books for traps, but they don't really cover magical traps well.

I think that the role of thieves and rogues could do with a little expansion.
Prime_Evil wrote:I'm more than happy to help with Spells of Magic as usual.
Thanks for the offer - we should kickstart the project again. At least Alex is still keeping the flame alight!
User avatar
Bifford
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Stun Bubble

Postby Bifford » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:14 am

Prime_Evil wrote:
Bifford wrote:I'm more than happy to help with Spells of Magic as usual.
Thanks for the offer - we should kickstart the project again. At least Alex is still keeping the flame alight!
(Previous quote name corrected lol)

I did just post a nice spell to the thread, but it got swallowed on the previous page so not sure anyone saw it lol :}
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Stun Bubble

Postby alex_greene » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:29 am

Bifford wrote:I did just post a nice spell to the thread, but it got swallowed on the previous page so not sure anyone saw it lol :}
"Yours Not To Command?"
Yup. Saw it. :D
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
trechriron
Shrew
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:54 pm
Location: Renton, WA
Contact:

Re: Stun Bubble

Postby trechriron » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:11 pm

alex_greene wrote:I've posted something about wards to Google Docs. I've incorporated my houserule of the wards introduced in Arms of Legend.

Wards, by Alex Greene, for Mongoose Legend - Google Docs
This is magnificent! Well done.
Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
October Northwest

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests