[Age of Treason] Henchmen & Clients

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
babayaga
Cub

[Age of Treason] Henchmen & Clients

Postby babayaga » Wed May 07, 2014 11:30 pm

This is my first post on the forum ... hello everyone!

And HUGE compliments to the author of Age of Treason. It's a fantastic setting! It's one of my two favourite fantasy settings together with Artesia (which is probably the game closest to it in flavour, from my point of view). Also, it provides subtle but wonderfully effective mechanical tweaks and add-ons to the basic Legend system.

I have two questions on the Henchmen and Clients rules in the Iron Companion.
The book basically says that to turn a henchman into a client you have to buy them enough property (say, land) to provide them with a guaranteed income equal to their lifestyle cost; it also says that this need not be a gift, but something that you can revoke at any time.
1. Is this property in addition to the wages for the services the client provides?
2. For SOC of 12 or less, should this property be enough to support the client only assuming he works full time on it (so that he can extract an average of 20% of its value per year, rather than the 5% he can get when doing other stuff)?

I'm tempted to answer YES to 1, and YES to 2. So, basically, a client knows that while he's working for you, he gets full wage from you (which is higher than the lifestyle cost unless SOC is 6 or less) plus a small bonus from his property; and when you have no work for him, he's still guaranteed subsistence.

If the answer to 1 were NO, the answer to 2 should probably also be NO, otherwise the client really can't earn nearly enough money from the property while he's working for you. But even then, it would seem being a client would be a worse deal than being a plain henchman except for the poorest folks (those below SOC 7) - as it would net one a lower income than henchman wages. On the other hand, it's true that in ancient Rome clients were generally really poor folks, who had to rely on patrons for subsistence, which could mean that the answer to 1 is NO but all clients are all low SOC... still, I'm not convinced.
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Re: [Age of Treason] Henchmen & Clients

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Thu May 08, 2014 5:14 am

Basically, in human experience, if you offer 10x any ones' yearly income, you can bribe them. It does seem to hold true.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
Prime_Evil
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: [Age of Treason] Henchmen & Clients

Postby Prime_Evil » Thu May 08, 2014 6:23 am

babayaga wrote:This is my first post on the forum ... hello everyone!
Welcome!
babayaga wrote:And HUGE compliments to the author of Age of Treason. It's a fantastic setting! It's one of my two favourite fantasy settings together with Artesia (which is probably the game closest to it in flavour, from my point of view). Also, it provides subtle but wonderfully effective mechanical tweaks and add-ons to the basic Legend system.
You'll be pleased to learn that the author of Age of Treason is currently adapting the setting to RQ 6. And because RQ 6 is very compatible with Legend, you'll be able to use material designed for one system with the other...