State of the Mongoose

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Re: State of the Mongoose

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Wed May 07, 2014 5:21 pm

There have been attempts a multi-company shared world-development (QuestWorld is a RQ example), but most have floundered. One issue would be duplication of effort, with the possibility of single "plum" areas being covered many times, in differing ways, by several companies.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Wed May 07, 2014 9:56 pm

Prime_Evil wrote: I know that the conventional wisdom is that adventures don't sell, but they do have an important role in building an audience and setting expectations for the game.
I think Goodman Games in particular, WotC and Paizo would disagree :wink: Those 3 companies have, between them, produced hundreds of adventures. Granted, apart from those offered by Goodman Games which loosely form a setting of sorts, they were produced to support existing, popular settings.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
Prime_Evil
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Thu May 08, 2014 5:55 am

True...but many RPG publishers often trot out the line that "adventures don't sell". My point was that pregenerated adventures have an important role in building a community about a game system. It's no accident that the publishers that you mention have all built a loyal following based on the strength of their adventures...
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Thu May 08, 2014 6:21 am

It could be why I have a fondness for Spider God's Bride, in that it's part setting, part adventure and I can see the potential to expand that into something bigger.

Personally: I think Legend could benefit from a Warhammer-ish style world, only dialing down the whole current Games Workshop bigger-is-better ethos considerably.

Warlock, I could release a setting on my own but I'm not sure how many people would buy it. I certainly have both an artist and a cartographer in my wife Gill, who you may recognise the work of in various Moon Designs Glorantha maps for things like their big Pavis book.

She also did several maps for Mongoose.

Matthew wants Sheoloth to succeed and I admit getting the chance to redesign the dark elves from their spider-love roots is a good job at the moment, though it's tough going in places since the previous books I'm working from are enmeshed in that old-hat concept quite deeply. For my part, I would LOVE to work on something non-dark elf and build a proper Legend world bit by bit for the system.

Today, Blackrock, tomorrow: THE WORLD!
"There are some things best left unsaid, many things best left unknown!"

Current Project -- Legend: Sheoloth

Darren W. Pearce - Amazon Author Page

Drivethru RPG
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Thu May 08, 2014 10:13 pm

I think Legend definitely needs more adventures written for it, preferably tied to a single location like what I intend doing with CoL: Stormhaven. Of course, these can all be part of the 'world' a generic setting...

GM's new to the system need some guidance in not only how to create an adventure but also to give them something immediate to work with so they can start playing. SGB and the work done on it and its successors by Darren is a great start but not everyone is into the S&S genre.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:12 am

Agree 100% D_J. As a Legend (and D100) convert from D&D and Pathfinder, I felt somewhat helpless initially, converting classic D&D modules to Legend in order to run games. But, D&D mods need loads of tweaks so as to not destroy a party fairly quickly.

If adventure mods are fairly generic in setting but provide a decent story and a few tips for new GMs I can't see why they couldn't succeed.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Fri May 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Just to chip in...

All Legend books that are not currently in print will be so (and on the shelves of retailers!) by the end of Summer, including Deus Vult and Sheoloth.

Furthermore, we have just had a brand new setting for Legend sent in to us, which we will be cracking on with as soon as possible, with more from the same source - we'll be making announcement about those books in the very near future.

More on the way...
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri May 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Oooooooh! (that's all I can really say!)

Drivethru RPG
auyl
Mongoose

Postby auyl » Fri May 09, 2014 5:25 pm

msprange wrote:Just to chip in...

All Legend books that are not currently in print will be so (and on the shelves of retailers!) by the end of Summer, including Deus Vult and Sheoloth.

Furthermore, we have just had a brand new setting for Legend sent in to us, which we will be cracking on with as soon as possible, with more from the same source - we'll be making announcement about those books in the very near future.

More on the way...
Deus Vult and Sheoloth in print as well as a new setting? Can't wait!
Check out Solace Games website here!
Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!
Bifford
Banded Mongoose

Postby Bifford » Fri May 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Matthew - I'll be sending you some corrections to do for the books as I read them. I'm on the Cults of Sheoloth at the moment and have found a few errors in the first pages so will compile and send!

Just waiting for a new ink cartridge so I can finish printing the main Sheoloth book then I'll do that one too :)

Sam / Bifford
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:21 am

Trust Matthew to be cryptic while giving us the good news on a setting ;) Great news!
Olaus Petrus
Banded Mongoose

Postby Olaus Petrus » Sat May 10, 2014 10:29 am

It's welcome news that we are going to get new setting for Legend. I agree with people that some sort of introductory adventure/campaign would be nice. While I don't personally need one, the it would help the new GMs to get into the system.
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:05 am

I wonder by when we will receive an update about the potential new setting?

:wink:
Carew
Stoat

Postby Carew » Wed May 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Runequest just published Shores of Korantia which is new as a setting but in the same world as Age of Treason was. I didnt get Age of Treason but I see good reviews of it, so I got the Korantia PDF and its looking good with some adventures in there and cults. Not read it all yet but this is the original sort of material I want Legend to do as well. Maybe this new setting will help get there.
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Wed May 14, 2014 1:16 pm

I like original material, but it looks like I'd have to publish my own stuff in Legend if I wanted to do what I have planned :)

Not as though that would be a major problem really.

Drivethru RPG
medievaladventures
Mongoose

Postby medievaladventures » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:10 pm

msprange wrote:Furthermore, we have just had a brand new setting for Legend sent in to us, which we will be cracking on with as soon as possible, with more from the same source - we'll be making announcement about those books in the very near future.
Any news on the new setting?
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:50 am

medievaladventures wrote:
Not just yet :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Prime_Evil
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:07 pm

msprange wrote:
medievaladventures wrote:
Not just yet :)
Now you're just teasing...
AlphaStrike
Banded Mongoose

Postby AlphaStrike » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:42 pm

It'll be good to see more books in print. I still don't feel the same about acquiring a new e-book.
To the everlasting glory of the infantry...
Prime_Evil
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:06 pm

It looks like we will see print versions of some of the recent PDF releases later this year....