Magic progression for advanced characters

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
The_Seafarer
Cub

Magic progression for advanced characters

Postby The_Seafarer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Greetings,

I am making some veteran-level NPCs, and I cannot find any type of progression for "up jumping" magical abilities. I need some insight on how to select an appropriate number/magnitude of spells for an advanced NPC.

Many thanks.
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Magic progression for advanced characters

Postby DamonJynx » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:32 am

Well, generally, you just need to bump up their skill(s) appropriately depending on the magical discipline they follow.

For the most part sorcerers will, or should at least, have a defined grimoire depending on their cult/orders preferences and purpose. Most variable effects are either scaled to their Sorcery (Grimoire) skill or increased via Manipulations.

Divine casters are very similar in this regard, you will need to work out what spells the cult teaches it's members and increase the NPC's Pact (Deity) & Lore (Theology) skills.

Common Magic is probably the easiest as it only requires an increase in 1 skill. Select a handful of spells making sure that progressive spells that are important to the NPC, such as the various weapon & armour buff spells and magical protection spells are at reasonable Magnitudes without being ridiculous.

There aren't really any hard & fast rules. Just do what 'seems' right for you and the game you're running.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!