Spirit Combat Thoughts

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
superc0ntra
Banded Mongoose

Spirit Combat Thoughts

Postby superc0ntra » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:05 pm

If a character is attacked in spirit combat when in the middle of a physical fight how do you handle it?
As far as I can see there are four options:
1. Spirit combat is instant so the physical combat in effect takes a "break" and the spirit combat is resolved after which the physical combat continues.
2. Physical and spirit combat are kept separate, each with its own combat actions. The character can keep fighting in the physical plane as well as the spiritual keeping separate records of CA, SR and Damage.
3. Physical and spirit combat are combined. The character can keep fighting in the physical plane as well as the spiritual but the number of CA is not added together. So if he has 2 CA then he can for example attack once and defend once either physically or spiritually but not both. (or one of each)
4. A character in spirit combat is in trance and cannot respond to the physical world so he in effect has 0 CA in the physical world.

Personally I go for number 2 but am eager to hear your input.
Bifford
Banded Mongoose

Re: Spirit Combat Thoughts

Postby Bifford » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 pm

My personal opinion, clouded by a hell of a lot of the books I've read, is that no 4 would be my way to do things. To be in the spirit plane the character is in a trance and therefore can't do anything in the physical. Which is why they should always have a capable apprentice or friend to "stand watch over their body" while they are "away".
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:31 pm

It's why shamans have fetches to occupy their bodies for them, to protect the empty shells from possession, while they themselves are off in the spirit world.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:05 am

I'd go for number 4 too.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:08 am

Number 4 for me too.
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit
Mongoose

Postby HalfOrc HalfBiscuit » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:42 am

warlock1971 wrote:Number 4 for me too.
Ditto.

My understanding of the intention of the MRQII/Legend spirit combat is that, in the situation described in the first post, the defender's spirit would literally be forced into the spirit realm by the hostile spirit. In those circumstances, I don't see how he could do anything in the physical world until the spirit combat had been resolved.
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit
Mongoose

Postby HalfOrc HalfBiscuit » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:14 am

HalfOrc HalfBiscuit wrote:
warlock1971 wrote:Number 4 for me too.
Ditto.

My understanding of the intention of the MRQII/Legend spirit combat is that, in the situation described in the first post, the defender's spirit would literally be forced into the spirit realm by the hostile spirit. In those circumstances, I don't see how he could do anything in the physical world until the spirit combat had been resolved.
Should have added:

If you don't like the forced discorporation paradigm, then I'd go with option 3 from the original post.
soltakss
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby soltakss » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:07 pm

I'd go for 3.

The way I see it, you concentrate with one eye on the spirit combat and one eye on the physical combat. As a GM, I might put a penalty on either or both accordingly.

Shamans are a special case, as they discorporate, so their spirit is no longer with their body.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html
superc0ntra
Banded Mongoose

Postby superc0ntra » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:44 pm

No: 4 would give rise to some cool combat tactics where a shaman could attack the opponent spiritually and while the opponent is forced into trance his partners could kill the body w.o. resistance.
Any way to avoid this? (Asks the humble dream dragon)
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:13 pm

In Legend by the rules, the answer is 4. Spirit combat is on the spirit plane so the combatants have discorporated.

This is not always popular with groups so you can easily say 3. In option 3 I reckon you can portray what is happening as the spirit attacking the representation of a character on the spirit plane. The victim can see the spirit overlaid on the mundane plane so treats it as if it were there in front of him or her. You might call for Persistence rolls to represent the character's ability to separate out the spirit plane from the mundane. Everybody else by default sees nothing but you could, if it works best in your setting, say that a side-effect of the assault is that a certain amount of visuals, sounds, scents etc are present. E.g. Swirling winds, screams of the damned, tendrils of smoke, stench of rotting bananas etc. Attacking these would have no effect but *possibly* you could treat the attack as a complimentary skill, adding its critical range to the victim's Persistence for avoiding the spirit.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:49 pm

I'd posit that Banish, Spirit Bane and the like are as effective against a discorporated shaman as they are against spirits: Protective Circle with Spirit Protection, as well as Spirit Protection itself, would be effective against shamans' attempts to discorporate one.

All you'd need, then, would be Mystic Vision or Second Sight to see the shaman, and some sort of weapon which has had a spell cast on it (or has been enchanted) to harm spirits / magical beings.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is for the character to have some shaman training and possess Spirit Walking and Spirit Binding skills as well. Which, I admit, would be a stretch for a civilised person - but it would be very, very cool for an urban shaman type to possess.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]