Legend: Curse of the Mummy?

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Legend: Curse of the Mummy?

Postby Hopeless » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Was wondering how to handle this in a fantasy setting.

Been listening to a Chill actual play based around an expedition that has returned only they're now discovering they're being hunted by the former owner of the tomb they broke into...

So far I'm thinking a merchant dabbling in exotic items from another land has inadvertedly brought the mummy to another land along with some of his/her treasure before releasing the mummy who is now hunting down its stolen treasure including the parts of itself as per the Mummy movies.

Can't help wondering if this would make a good adventure or campaign concept?

What do you think?
auyl
Mongoose

Re: Legend: Curse of the Mummy?

Postby auyl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:21 pm

It has a lot of potential but I'd be careful not to emulate the Mummy movie too much. Although if you wanted to use the mummy himself as a sort of template I would sit down and think of what kind of powers, abilities and magic does he have will in the classic mummy form and what of abilities are unlocked when he's in his fully restored form? If you go with the Mummy movies variety then he is a lot more powerful once he has all his parts back in him.
Check out Solace Games website here!
Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hopeless » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:43 pm

I was thinking either have it possess a victim or draining the Power of its targets leaving them looking like a mummy whilst restoring itself for a period of time.

Maybe look at designing this as a character and have a player run him/her with no one else aware of the truth as it can possess others when killed to survive beyond death but would have a specific vulnerability and a goal or its unfinished business so to speak.

Explain that casting magic prematurely ages them maybe hide the fact they can only recover by draining others and who better than opponents?

As a game maybe throw in occasional hints at its existence but it really depends if a player is willing to run such a character and since it doesn't have to be an outright villain this might last an entire campaign and instead of the hero fighting the Mummy they might end up allied together against a stronger mutual enemy! :twisted:
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:26 pm

The mutual enemy could be something like a secret cabal of Stasis-Death cultists who want to turn everything into an unchanging final limbo of blandness... or similar.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
auyl
Mongoose

Postby auyl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:12 pm

It would be a different twist for sure and one that could be done well.

I wouldn't have a players using the mummy as a PC though. I'd make them more of an NPC protagonist with their own ulterior motives, some good, most not. Ultimately the mummy would want the same thing as the PC's but wants to go about it in a not so honest way.

This would make a more interesting dynamic since the PC's would have to decide how they want to do things and the consequences of each.
Check out Solace Games website here!
Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:32 am

Hammer have just re-released their original Mummy on Blu-ray so get that and use parts of that for the plot. It'll fool people who have only seen the most recent iteration of the movie.
My Getting started with Legend file including a suggested starting adventure.

My Romano-British Game setting.