Miniatures

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Miniatures

Postby warlock1971 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:26 am

For the last while I have been keen to utilize minis in my game, just to add a visual component to the occasional scene. Do any of you utilize minis, whether cardboard or plastic figurines or metal, in your games?

Would Mongoose not be keen to create a set of Legend minis, like you did for the Judge Dredd game via Kickstarter or Indiegogo? I know I would back a project if they were of the same quality as the Judge Dredd minis.
msprange
Site Admin

Re: Miniatures

Postby msprange » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:07 am

Miniatures really need to be done for a setting, not a rules system...
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:30 am

There are any number of miniatures out there and have been for years. You can buy a box of prepaints for Pathfinder that will do what you need for a Legend game. If you want to go the DIY route then there are both plastic assemble yourself orcs, not GW overpriced and gold plated, for UKP20 for 30 figures as well as at least two makers of Saxons and Vikings which cover many of the armour styles in Legend. There's a manufacturer who is doing a line of figure for Glorantha that will no doubt fit as well as many of the armour types are close enough.

The costs of producing just one figure are probably around UKP200 plus a per spin cost for a pewter figure. This get's expensive for any more than a limited range which in turn pushes the unit price up.
My Getting started with Legend file including a suggested starting adventure.

My Romano-British Game setting.
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby tarkhan bey » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:18 am

A skirmish game in the Tragic Millenium would be awesome, assuming the retention of an EC license.

Character models for Hawkmoon, Count Brass, Meliadus etc. Innumerable beast mask options, weird and exotic equipment like ornithopters, scientists and sorcerers as well as some regular european infantry and cavalry types. My wallet would be emptied in this eventuality. :lol:
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:16 pm

Apart from the personality/character figures most of these are already out there. There are several lines of steampunk/Victorian sci-fi figures already manufactured that would do perfectly for this sort of thing.

Take a trip to www.theminiaturespage.com or www.lead-adventure.de or victoriaminiatures.highwire.com or one of the many other miniatures pages on the web.

tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby tarkhan bey » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:33 pm

There are Granbretan Beastmasks already out there? What about Kamargians on horned horses with flame lances? I'm at work and unfortunately don't have time to trail through loads of sites. Could you attach a link specifically to these Granbretanians? :)
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby tarkhan bey » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Actually, I have just found a site with Tragic Millenium figs on. Who knew? Well.....Strega obviously. :lol:
pachristian
Stoat

Postby pachristian » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:14 pm

I'm having good luck with the "Bones" line from reaper minitures. Generic fantasy figures for the most part (some pulp and modern). However, they cost about half, or less, the cost of metal miniatures.

Sooner or later I will need to cough up the money for Wargames Foundry bronze age figures.
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Rather than spend lotsadosh on Foundry (even under the new young management they still not cheap) why don't you buy some self-assembly plastic greeks.

http://www.warlordgames.com/store/hail- ... reeks.html

There are both classical and other era greeks, armoured and unarmoured hoplites plus other types found in Greek armies as well as civilians and musicians. At about UKP 20 per box and lightweight it should cost an arm and a leg to have them shipped anywhere in the world.

pachristian
Stoat

Postby pachristian » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:31 pm

I've looked at these. My last game was set in the Bronze Age (era of Ramses the Great). This figures are very wrong for that era (armor, helmets, shields, and many of the weapons).

I have seriously considered moving the game to the Successor states era. Aside from certain other advantages, the miniatures would be far more available; these classical era minis would work fine for that (a little off, but close enough for gamer work).
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby tarkhan bey » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Their Bronze Age Northern European range is quite excellent though.
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 am

So it's sort of pseudo-Minoan's you need with their boar's tusk helmets and waisted oval bulls-hide shields?

Not sure about the 'Bronze Age northern Europeans' mentioned. I can only see plastic Iron Age Britons, Germans and Gauls on the Warlord site.

Warlord are however the exclusive distributor of Cutting Edge Miniatures line of Near East Bronze Age miniatures. These cover all/most of the various countries at the eastern end of the Mediterranean. They run about 1.1 UKP per figure and come in packs more suited to miniatures gaming with possibly less customisation available than a range of plastic figures.

Nice pics at
http://cuttingedgeminiatures.com/epages ... Categories

tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby tarkhan bey » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:45 am

The Bronze Age guys i refer to are from Wargames Foundry, not Warlord. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:05 am

Ah yes, I didn't get the reference to the earlier post concerning Foundry. You are correct their bronze age figures are nice.

The availability of plastic figure versions is determined whether or not the army is a game winner under the current ancient period miniatures wargaming rules. If they are then the numbers needed make producing boxes of plastic multi-part figures worthwhile.

I've grabbed a box of orcs and one each of armoured and unarmoured Saxons for use as rpg gaming figures and they turned out well. A good mix of possible poses, shields and weapons suitable for many rpgs. I added a box of Perry Brothers Wars of the Roses figures for some heavily armoured types and those are very much the dogs bollocks.