Campaign settigns for a new player

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
JP42
Stoat

Re: Campaign settigns for a new player

Postby JP42 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Definitely useful stuff, and good for inspiration pieces. Probably just me who wouldn't be happy without a cohesive and complete pantheon of gods, the cults surrounding them, the non-theistic organizations... but then I'm a bit anal about such things.
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:07 pm

If you really need gods and cults then get some of the MGP RQII material. I'm sure you can find it via ebay. Some of it is even available as PDF's through Drivethru RPG. It's for 2nd Age Glorantha but is has all the gods and cults and cultures you could possibly want.
My Getting started with Legend file including a suggested starting adventure.

My Romano-British Game setting.
JP42
Stoat

Postby JP42 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:08 pm

strega wrote:If you really need gods and cults then get some of the MGP RQII material. I'm sure you can find it via ebay. Some of it is even available as PDF's through Drivethru RPG. It's for 2nd Age Glorantha but is has all the gods and cults and cultures you could possibly want.
Is there a decent source for Third Age material? I loved that stuff as a youth (we played a great deal of RQ2 in high school) but never really gelled with the 2nd Age stuff.
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:40 pm

You'll have to wait for 'Adventures in Glorantha' for RQ6 (i.e. 99.9% the same as 'Legend')... out end of the year/early next.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
Loz
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Loz » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:49 am

You don't need to wait for RQ:Adventures in Glorantha to get some first-rate Third Age material. Moon Design Publications has its excellent Sartar/Sartar Companion and Pavis books already available, and is releasing 'The Guide to Glorantha' this year. The Guid is systemless, so you can use whatever rules you like, and although Sartar and Pavis are both written for HeroQuest, the system stuff is so light that it can be ignored.
What am I supposed to say?
Where are the words to answer you,
When you talk that way?

Rush - Spindrift
Prime_Evil
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:40 am

I've got the Moon Design Pavis Book and it is excellent. If you are thinking of introducing D&D players to Glorantha, it is also an excellent starting point - although many aspects of the setting will seem strange to people who haven't experienced Glorantha before, there are enough points of reference to ease the transition. Focusing on Pavis and the Big Rubble for a while lets you introduce Gloranthan lore gradually without overwhelming newcomers.
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:24 am

What Loz and Prime_Evil said, also my wife does cartography for Moon Designs and the maps she did for places like Big Rubble are really detailed.
"There are some things best left unsaid, many things best left unknown!"

Current Project -- Legend: Sheoloth

Darren W. Pearce - Amazon Author Page

Drivethru RPG
jux
Stoat

Postby jux » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 am

strega wrote: Many other eras such as German Crusaders (Crusaders of the Baltic Coast, Alephtar Games) or Ancient Greece have settings out that will work with Legend.
Thank you sir, for pointing this out. As an Estonian, I am very happy to find there is such a supplement out there. Must-have for me.
Prime_Evil
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:09 am

Crusaders of the Baltic Coast is a good book that covers the Drang nach Osten well. It's an era of history sadly neglected by roleplayers but full of dramatic potential.

It should also be noted that Design Mechanism has a range of historical sourcebooks on the way. Having a degree in early medieval history, I'm excited about the one covering Mythic Britain - I can't wait to run a game in the sub-Roman period. Because of the close relationship between RQ 6 and Legend, it should be possible to use this with both systems easily. I'm not sure when the various Mythic books come out, but hopefully we should see something within the next year.
Prime_Evil
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:20 am

The Wolf wrote:What Loz and Prime_Evil said, also my wife does cartography for Moon Designs and the maps she did for places like Big Rubble are really detailed.
Lucky man...it's a nice map!
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:01 pm

You should see the full size one, she's taken it to a few conventions.
"There are some things best left unsaid, many things best left unknown!"

Current Project -- Legend: Sheoloth

Darren W. Pearce - Amazon Author Page

Drivethru RPG