Monsters of Legend 2

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Loz
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Monsters of Legend 2

Postby Loz » Fri May 10, 2013 2:49 am

That's interesting, I always thought the average was 'supposed' to be the average of the die roll, i.e. 3D6 = 10.5 rounded to 11. This makes much more sense.
It is. All the creatures created for MRQII/Legend and RQ6 have averages expressed as the average result for the die formula.

So, if we model the Cat Anarchon according to this rule, the average statistics would be:

STR 4D6+3 17
CON 3D6+3 14
SIZ 3D6+3 14
INT 4D6+3 17
POW 3D6+3 14
DEX 4D6+3 17
CHA 3D6+3 14

And attributes are then calculated on these averages.
What am I supposed to say?
Where are the words to answer you,
When you talk that way?

Rush - Spindrift
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Fri May 10, 2013 4:04 am

Well, that being the case, anything I write that is an ''average" example will use the average of the die formula - exceptions will show the values of the characteristics only.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri May 10, 2013 6:00 am

Thanks Loz, makes perfect sense to me - so the cat anarchon is probably out in terms of the dice used to calculate the scores. Since they're pretty powerful beasties I'll change the dice used to calculate those scores to reflect the average.

So:

Dice Average
STR 4D6+4 18
CON 3D6+5 16
SIZ 3D6+6 17
INT 3D6+1 12
POW 4D6+4 18
DEX 4D6+7 21
CHA 3D6+9 20
"There are some things best left unsaid, many things best left unknown!"

Current Project -- Legend: Sheoloth

Darren W. Pearce - Amazon Author Page

Drivethru RPG
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri May 10, 2013 6:22 am

Prime_Evil wrote:I'm going to cry if I don't get a succubus ;)

Interesting choice of creatures to convert - I assumed that MoL II would round out the list of critters that are common in 'generic' fantasy settings rather than converting fairly obscure d20 monsters. Not that I'm complaining - if the conversions are coming from the source that I think they're coming from, there's some good stuff in there.
Prime_Evil - yeah Matthew wanted me to convert the monsters from that book. I would have thought putting out a book of generic fantasy monsters for MoL 2 was the next thing, but apparently these obscure monsters are the ticket.

I know Legend is missing all sorts of fan-favourite classic monsters and I was hoping to work on a book of those, but these critters are pretty fun!

Drivethru RPG
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Fri May 10, 2013 10:49 am

The Wolf wrote:I know Legend is missing all sorts of fan-favourite classic monsters and I was hoping to work on a book of those, but these critters are pretty fun!
I suppose that means that there's room for a third-party bestiary. Although some of the fan-favourite classics will be hard to convert to Legend without becoming virtually invincible - think about how a Lernaean Hydra would work if you give it one CA per head! And then make it a fire-breathing hydra for extra giggles...
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Fri May 10, 2013 11:49 am

Prime_Evil wrote:Although some of the fan-favourite classics will be hard to convert to Legend without becoming virtually invincible - think about how a Lernaean Hydra would work if you give it one CA per head! And then make it a fire-breathing hydra for extra giggles...
I did that (wasn't a Lernaean Hydra, just a normal one). It was fun. But I fudged a die roll here and there to keep the PC's alive long enough to kill it! If I can find them, I'll post some stat blocks later.

Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Fri May 10, 2013 11:59 am

I'd love to see that.
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri May 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Prime_Evil wrote:
The Wolf wrote:I know Legend is missing all sorts of fan-favourite classic monsters and I was hoping to work on a book of those, but these critters are pretty fun!
I suppose that means that there's room for a third-party bestiary. Although some of the fan-favourite classics will be hard to convert to Legend without becoming virtually invincible - think about how a Lernaean Hydra would work if you give it one CA per head! And then make it a fire-breathing hydra for extra giggles...
That is evil, I like it :) heh

Drivethru RPG
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Fri May 10, 2013 12:42 pm

The Wolf wrote:That is evil, I like it :) heh
Thanks!

One of the joys of translating from one game system to another is that things that are well balanced in the first system can be wildly unbalanced in the second. And if you're evil, you may be tempted to use that fact to shake things up for players who think they "know" how the monsters are supposed to work...
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri May 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Yesssss. I once had a player who thought he knew how trolls worked - when he and his cohorts fought a troll for the first time, there was a subtle clue in the description.

Each blade strike produces a curious whispering hiss.

So eventually they drop the thing to 0 HP and it collapses, so bright-spark puts a lit torch to it. 6D6 fireball later and they're standing semi-naked amidst the ruin of their flammable/combustible equipment/armour. Low on HP and wondering what the heck happened :>

Variant troll: gas troll.

Drivethru RPG
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Sat May 11, 2013 5:25 am

Here's the link to the Dungeon Crawl that includes my (con)versions for some D&D monsters; Displacer Beasts, Hydra, Ghour & Arrow Demons and a White Dragon.

Have fun with them, regardless of whether or not you use them in the adventure as written! If you do use the adventure, let me know what you think!

Dungeon of Doom

For some reason, my PC's had an inordinate amount of trouble with the first puzzle, I thought it was fairly easy...

Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Sat May 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Nice work. Your animated statues have helped me out with an animated idol that I've been designing for a swords & sorcery adventure - the idea of making the eyes the weak spot is sheer genius (although in my case, I'll make them into gemstones that crumble to dust when removed from the idol...)

Oh...and the hydra looks nice too!
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Mon May 13, 2013 2:15 am

Glad you liked them. When you have a creature with such high armour points and damage values I think it's prudent to give the players a get-out-of-gaol-free card, if they're smart enough to take it :twisted:

I thought the Kruha (displacer beasts) and the saeth demons were pretty cool. I created the demons using the MRQII Elric rules and they originally had a much a higher DEX, IIRC it was near max giving them a ranged attack in the 90's, which made them very lethal, so I toned them down a bit.

The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Mon May 13, 2013 7:13 am

Good stuff Damon :)

Drivethru RPG
GevatterHein
Weasel

Postby GevatterHein » Mon May 13, 2013 11:09 am

Very good work, Damon. I love it. :D
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Mon May 13, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks guys

The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Tue May 14, 2013 6:15 am

Work goes (slowly) on this particular book since the power levels of the creatures so far are quite high. Some of them have also shared abilities (like the Anachra) and I think that'll be an interesting tool to play around with.

I'm back to work on this book this morning, since I was away at a Middle Earth weekend over the weekend and working on another project yesterday.

Drivethru RPG
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Tue May 14, 2013 9:11 am

Hammer Anarchon
The figure is that of a man, sixteen feet in height, built broadly and solidly. He wears a loose white tunic fastened with large clasps of black iron, and a band of the same material encircles his head. Held in one hand is a massive, two-headed hammer, and he moves it as if it were a part of his own flesh.

Hammer anarchons are boisterous celestial beings who seem to enjoy battling evil as much for the battle as for the fact evil is being defeated, something which sometimes causes tension with other forces for good on the outer planes. They gleefully hurl themselves into conflict on any plane, often venturing into realms of evil for no reason other than to "smash up some evil beings". If summoned for purposes other than conflict, they are not good at hiding their disappointment. In addition, they have a slightly hedonistic bent, and enjoy good food, drink and music much more than many of their staid counterparts. A hammer anarchon on a mission on the material plane, in humanoid guise, may be slightly side-tracked by a welcoming inn or town fair.

Hammer anarchons are often summoned for missions dealing with large numbers of smaller foes. A group of heroes may ask a hammer anarchon to clear a path for them through an encamped army or aid them in breaking out of a besieged fortress.

Combat Notes

Hammer anarchons rarely have much in the way of complex tactics. They are skilled at sizing up foes and knowing who to hit first, but such decisions are about the extent of their tactical thinking. They will use ranged attacks against foes they cannot easily hit, such as distant mages or flyers, but they prefer to get "up close and personal". They use their hammer's quake ability as often as they can, sending nearby foes tumbling, then follow up with lethal blows against the prone opponents. If badly wounded, they will indulge in a "tactical retreat", but doing so galls them, and they will always return later to "finish the job" if they can. Against non-evil and much weaker foes, they will temper their blows (taking a -10% penalty and trying to stun them, but against evil, they show no mercy.

Hammer Time: Hammer anarchons use a massive hammer. This huge metal weapon is made from black steel, wrapped in dark leather and it roils with chaotic and dangerous energies. It can be thrown with a Combat Action and returns to the thrower’s hand even if it hits or misses. The favourite use for this weapon is to unleash the power inside, using a Combat Action – it produces a devastating quake – see below. If the hammer anarchon is slain then the hammer becomes a mundane Great Hammer. If the hammer and anarchon are separated, he can call it back to his hand using a Combat Action, as long as it remains on the same plane as he is.

Quake: Every 1D4 rounds, the hammer anarchon can channel the energy inside his hammer by smashing it into the ground. This unleashes a short-range, but very powerful shockwave out to 30 meters. The wave vibrations last until the hammer anarchon’s next round Combat Action and all characters within this area of effect must make Difficult Athletics tests or fall over, becoming disorientated and struggling to stand. Any objects and structures in the area take 5D6 points of damage.

Dice Average 1D20 Hit Location AP/HP
STR 5D6+4 22 1-3 Right Leg 3/8
CON 4D6+4 18 4-6 Left Leg 3/8
SIZ 5D6+2 20 7-9 Abdomen 3/9
INT 2D6+3 10 10-12 Chest 3/10
POW 3D6+5 16 13-15 Right Arm 3/7
DEX 3D6+3 14 16-18 Left Arm 3/7
CHA 3D6+3 14 19-20 Head 3/8

Combat Actions 2 Armour: Celestial cloth. No Armour Penalty.
Damage Modifier +1D8
Magic Points 16 Traits: Anarchon Traits.
Movement 8m
Strike Rank +12 Common Skills: Brawn 90%, Evade 79%, Insight 30%, Lore (Celestial Beings) 73%, Perception 60%, Persistence 47%, Resilience 80%, Unarmed 67%
Advanced Skills: Language (All) 89%, Lore (Celestial Magic) 86%, Pact (Celestial Powers) 84%
Magic: Berserk, Channel Strength, Crash of Thunder, Disarm, Fear, True (Great Hammer)

Combat Styles
Quake Hammer (Great Hammer) 77%

Weapons
Type Range Size Reach Damage AP/HP
Great Hammer -- H L 1D10+3+1D8 Stun Location, Sunder 4/10
The raw text hasn't gone to editing yet, it won't until I've done all 60 monsters for MoL 2. Some of the text isn't mine either - it's taken directly from the document I'm working from.

Drivethru RPG
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:17 am

Hey Darren, this is looking good so far.

Maybe not related, but are all the monsters being developed extra-planar/dimensional?
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 am

The Anarchons are, but there's a bunch of other stuff I've yet to get through. I have 60 monsters to sort out and I'm looking at them as they come.

Next up are the Herald and Storm Anachra.

Drivethru RPG