What Makes A Player Character?

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

What Makes A Player Character?

Postby alex_greene » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Reblogging this pic from this blog post, which itself is a reblog of a pic I stumbled across on Facebook.

Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
rust
Chief Mongoose

Re: What Makes A Player Character?

Postby rust » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 am

A rather romantic concept of "warrior".
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby tarkhan bey » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:03 am

Yeah, it is a rather romantic little description and it's probably how I would like my PC warriors to be, but...... :roll:

I think that it sums up Heroes better than warriors.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:04 am

rust wrote:A rather romantic concept of "warrior".
*peers over half-rim glasses* If you'd prefer to be an unromantic warrior, there's always the local military recruitment station ... :)
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Olaus Petrus
Banded Mongoose

Postby Olaus Petrus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:08 am

My own warrior characters usually have less noble character. Examples are knight who is so full of his own vendetta that he has sacrificed his fortune and honour to pursue it. Everyone who stands between him and his revenge must be destroyed, no matter if they're innocent or not. Or a sellsword/highwayman who values money and whores above anything else. But to be honest occasionally I do make warrior characters who actually aren't immoral or have twisted moral compass. Example of this is an Orlanthi warrior who has devoted his life for hunting the Chaos creatures, because it is his holy duty towards his god.

For me it's all about story of the character and it's easier to write characters who are antiheroes than goody two-shoes. Even if I make paladin -style character that character usually turns out to be intolerant fanatic, who can't accept heretical or pagan beliefs. I believe that I end up writing flawed characters, because I find good and noble characters boring and often unrealistic.