Healing clarification

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
superc0ntra
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 7:25 am
Contact:

Healing clarification

Postby superc0ntra » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm

The 1 pt natural healing per time period, is it per bodypart or total to be applied to a chosen bodypart?
Bilharzia
Weasel
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:55 am

Re: Healing clarification

Postby Bilharzia » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Per location...is how I read it.
strega
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:19 am
Contact:

Re: Healing clarification

Postby strega » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:15 am

Having read and re-read the section on Healing in Legend I can't definitely say one way or another. Checking RQ6 (something I'll often do for clarification due to their shared origin) doesn't help as the method of calculating the Healing Rate is completely different (though it's per location).

Logically I would say that per location is what makes the most sense as it's only Minor injuries that are healed via Natural Healing from the start. Major wounds need Healing - Surgery or magical healing to start the healing process and Serious wounds to a limb need at least a First Aid check to restore functionality, to another location FA restores a single point.
My Getting started with Legend file including a suggested starting adventure.

My Romano-British Game setting.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3787
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Healing clarification

Postby alex_greene » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:33 am

It sounds as if the rules for healing are a holdover from RQ, where player characters had general hit points as well as locational hit points.

Go for "per location" as a rule. I mean, the character's body might be wounded in a number of locations, but the body's not just going to look at the abdomen and say "Sorry, mate, I can't heal one of your hit points just now; today's hit point recovery's going to your right arm."
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Olaus Petrus
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Healing clarification

Postby Olaus Petrus » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:12 am

alex_greene wrote:It sounds as if the rules for healing are a holdover from RQ, where player characters had general hit points as well as locational hit points.

Go for "per location" as a rule. I mean, the character's body might be wounded in a number of locations, but the body's not just going to look at the abdomen and say "Sorry, mate, I can't heal one of your hit points just now; today's hit point recovery's going to your right arm."
I agree with your logic and this is how I do it. Besides every wounded location is treated separately when you calculate damage and effects of the damage. You even have to make separate first aid tests for every wounded location. While the wording of the rules is bit obscure in this case, I don't see why wounds should be treated collectively in this particular case when other rules reject the idea of general hit points.
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1199
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Healing clarification

Postby DamonJynx » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 am

I'm quite surprised this hasn't been raised before. RAW states 1HP per time period, not 1HP per location. Granted this doesn't make sense when using locational Hit Points, obviously it's a left over from previous versions. Healing 1HP per location per time period makes the most sense. Otherwise characters with several wounds, 1 or 2 near serious level, would be out of action for extended periods if magical healing is not available.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3787
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Healing clarification

Postby alex_greene » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:55 pm

DamonJynx wrote:Otherwise characters with several wounds, 1 or 2 near serious level, would be out of action for extended periods if magical healing is not available.
That, too, is doable - though I'm sure players would feel somewhat impatient at all the extended downtime.

Whether the rule can be interpreted as "each wounded hit location naturally recovers 1 HP per time period" or "the character naturally recovers 1 HP per time period to one random hit location" (and I know which I prefer), the character could still take a while to heal naturally, making a skilled healer pretty vital in an adventuring party - whether the healing is skill-based or uses magic of some sort.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1199
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Healing clarification

Postby DamonJynx » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:58 pm

alex_greene wrote:... stuff
+1
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
Olaus Petrus
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Healing clarification

Postby Olaus Petrus » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:00 pm

DamonJynx wrote:I'm quite surprised this hasn't been raised before. RAW states 1HP per time period, not 1HP per location. Granted this doesn't make sense when using locational Hit Points, obviously it's a left over from previous versions. Healing 1HP per location per time period makes the most sense. Otherwise characters with several wounds, 1 or 2 near serious level, would be out of action for extended periods if magical healing is not available.
I don't have MRQI books, but I asked from friend who has and he said that there it's one hit point per location per day. So if we follow the same logic also MRQII and Legend healing rates should be per location.
superc0ntra
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 7:25 am
Contact:

Re: Healing clarification

Postby superc0ntra » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks for the heads up on MRQ1.
Here is what it says, clear as crystal.
"A character’s injured locations (any location that has 0
hit points or more) regain one hit point per 24 hours, as
long as the character does not engage in anything more
than light activity"
So it should be 1 pt/location/time period. Just as I suspected.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests