New with Legend

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: New with Legend

Postby DamonJynx » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 am

@stroval wrote:Thanks. Would you put a cap on the number of traits per race(or half-breed character) ?
As these will be humanoid, player, available races, I would suggest only 1 trait as you want the choices available to PLAYERS to be fairly even in terms of balance, otherwise you could end up in a situation where min-maxers go for the race with the most 'free abilities' and hardly anyone picks Human.

In the example above, I think the CON/2 limit is probably a bit generous, it should be more like CON/4 or 5 hours.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
soltakss
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby soltakss » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:38 pm

DamonJynx wrote:
@stroval wrote:Thanks. Would you put a cap on the number of traits per race(or half-breed character) ?
As these will be humanoid, player, available races, I would suggest only 1 trait as you want the choices available to PLAYERS to be fairly even in terms of balance, otherwise you could end up in a situation where min-maxers go for the race with the most 'free abilities' and hardly anyone picks Human.
Not necessarily.

A race with traits of Amphibious and Dark Sight is only better than one with just Dark Sight when in the water.

Traits do not normally empower Adventurers with superhuman abilities, just with slightly useful ones.

@stroval wrote:Interesting, I was about to propose backrounds too as an option..
I prefer different backgrounds rather than the generic Barbarian/Civilised/Nomad/Primitive ones. It makes more sense to me.
@stroval wrote:I am still not confident in my knowledge of Legend to start writing my own....But I do have weapons and
cultural elements that half breeds in my world share in opposition to other full on races
Functionally, Backgrounds are easy to write. All you need to make sure is that the skills add up right. Personally, I think they should include cultural weapons and cultural magic as well, but that tailors them to specific races/cultures.
@stroval wrote:Hmm I might try posting something here if people want to let me know what they think
Please do - we are a very gentle bunch here.
@stroval wrote:How would you go about designing traits in Legend?
First of all, see if there is a similar trait. If something can climb trees really well then just use the Wall Walking trait rather than introducing a new Tree Climbing trait.

If there isn't anything similar, then try and describe the effect of the trait without using rules. Finally, add rules into the trait.

So, in RQ (Sorry Alex :) ) some chaotic creatures had a Spit Acid ability, which is always good for a laugh. So, for a Spit Acid trait, I would describe it as "The creature is able to spit strong corrosive acid at its enemies". Then the rulesy stuff - what is the range, how many times can it spit per day, how strong is the acid? The trait then becomes "The creature is able to spit strong corrosive acid at its enemies, with a Potency equal to its CON, a range equal to its STR in metres, using a Spit Acid skill with a base of STR+DEX, once per day for every 10 points of POW or part thereof". So far so good. Then I realise that Legend Acid doesn't work in the same way as RQ, and thereof sounds a bit legalistic, so I need to reword it slightly. "The creature is able to spit strong corrosive acid at its enemies, with a Potency equal to its Persistence, a range equal to its STR in metres, doing 1D8 damage, using a Spit Acid skill with a base of STR+DEX, once per day for every 10 points of POW possessed by the creature".

Now, I am sure that other people could reword it and make it better, but it is a usable trait. Easy peasy.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Thank you all!

Sorry I didnt respond earlier, work's been really hectic...

So I finished the combat chapter and I was wondering:

Is there some sort of cheat-sheet for the first time a GM runs a battle?