New with Legend

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
@stroval
Stoat

Re: New with Legend

Postby @stroval » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:28 pm

strega wrote:Just as likely to be your monitor/screen not displaying the colour correctly. That's why you get expensive screens and colour matching profiles to allow actual colours to be displayed properly for publishing applications.
I'm pretty sure its not a screen issue :)
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:19 am

Why not, you look at the picture of the book on-line, order it and it arrives with a slightly different colour cover. Screen colour matching issue as one is subtractive and one is additive.

Unless you mean the black cover vs. the colour cover of course.
My Getting started with Legend file including a suggested starting adventure.

My Romano-British Game setting.
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:40 pm

strega wrote:Why not, you look at the picture of the book on-line, order it and it arrives with a slightly different colour cover. Screen colour matching issue as one is subtractive and one is additive.

Unless you mean the black cover vs. the colour cover of course.

Ehm no its not a screen issue,otherwise it would have affected every purchase I ve ever made online so far.
Also yes I know of screen colour matching issues but this is different. Other players who have seen the site photos(from different computers) and the cover in person concur it is in fact darker.

The Cover is shades darker(you cant make the digits of the knight holding the sword due to that), I am not saying I dont like it/wont keep it, I am not bashing on Mongoose, all I am doing is stating the fact and wondering if it has happened to any of the fans here on the forums before.

PS:How would I even make an issue between different cover versions being of different colours? I will ignore the fact that now you are downright insulting
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:54 pm

So your copy doesn't match the picture on-line, I suggest a possible reason and you refer to that as insulting???

Sorry I tried to help you.
My Getting started with Legend file including a suggested starting adventure.

My Romano-British Game setting.
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:12 pm

strega wrote:So your copy doesn't match the picture on-line, I suggest a possible reason and you refer to that as insulting???

Sorry I tried to help you.
I appreciate any helpful attitude,if it can be recognized as that.

Its not the reason you presented, its the way you responded, implied from the start I am at an error here and kept pressing that point.

Maybe its the impersonal form of the text...that made me take it the wrong way

I even wondered if you are being defensive.People sometimes tend to do that on forums and in regards to products they love .

From my point of view, a mere: "it has never happened to me nor everyone I know, are you sure that the problem does not originate from your screen etc" would have sufficed.

In any case I have no quarrel with you. There is no need to continue this any further.
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 pm

How are you getting on with Legend and your new books @stroval?
"There are some things best left unsaid, many things best left unknown!"

Current Project -- Legend: Sheoloth

Darren W. Pearce - Amazon Author Page

Drivethru RPG
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Really great, thank you

I am rereading the core, now that I have it in physical form, and started Monsters and Arms of Legend.

So hopefully soon I will have more stuff to post/discuss in the forums :)
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:01 pm

Good to hear. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that you should also find a lot of use in the re-write of Spider God's Bride, once it is done. Magic, gods and cults, demons, are all done now and I have re-written/converted Necromancer's Knife so far to the re-written format.

Drivethru RPG
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:08 pm

The Wolf wrote:Good to hear. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that you should also find a lot of use in the re-write of Spider God's Bride, once it is done. Magic, gods and cults, demons, are all done now and I have re-written/converted Necromancer's Knife so far to the re-written format.
Interesting.When can we expect it to be out?
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:40 pm

I can't say, from my end I'm working on this amongst other paid work. That said I've spent the last week working on it and managed to get magic, cults and necromancer's knife revised.

Drivethru RPG
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Please keep us posted

All the best of luck in your projects :)
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Just keep an eye on the SGB thread here @stroval where you can gain some insight into the development/fixes to the product.

Darren

Drivethru RPG
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Will do =]
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm

So I finished Monsters of Legend (still going through the other books due to recent workload)

No homebrewing rules for making your own races(I guess one could fiddle with the examples given)

How do people differentiate sub-races for instance? I would presume by introducing other traits?

The standard elves could have different traits to sea-elves etc

That could also play a part with half-breeds (instead of having a whole new entry for half-elves and half-orcs like d20, have blood traits)
RangerDan
Mongoose

Postby RangerDan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:22 pm

@stroval wrote:How do people differentiate sub-races for instance? I would presume by introducing other traits?

Hmm I admit I've never had this problem... my games tend to run human-centric in RQ, I guess it's the Sword & Sorcery slant, so needing the distinction of sub-races or non-humans never came up.

Having said that, different traits seems like a sensible way to do it (ie water breathing / gills).

You should also feel free to tinker with the stats a bit if you want. Stats aren't so critical to performance as they are in d&d, and you don't need to worry about ruining any 'balance' as there's no real balance in the first place!
Fonso
Stoat

Postby Fonso » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:01 pm

@stroval wrote:So I finished Monsters of Legend (still going through the other books due to recent workload)

No homebrewing rules for making your own races(I guess one could fiddle with the examples given)

How do people differentiate sub-races for instance? I would presume by introducing other traits?

That could also play a part with half-breeds (instead of having a whole new entry for half-elves and half-orcs like d20, have blood traits)
In our homemade adaptation of Arkania/Aventuria, a very High Fantasy setting, we opted to leave all subraces the same, but we assigned different cultural backgrounds to each other.
For example, we had four dwarven etnia and all of them used Monster Coliseum's dwarf characteristic rolls. But each one of that subraces (Boroschim = Anvil Dwarves; Roroxim = Ore dwarves; Domadim = Brilliant dwarves & Brumborim = Hill dwarves) had is own cultural background.
Even half-orcs and half-elves followed this rule. If you wanted to be a half-elf, for example, you rolled elf or human characteristics (depending on that birthright prevailed) and then you chose the half-elf cultural background.
Orgulloso colaborador de Traduciendo Rol.
¡Traveller y Paranoia en castellano!

http://traduciendorol.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Traducien ... 6964758706
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Fonso wrote:
@stroval wrote:So I finished Monsters of Legend (still going through the other books due to recent workload)

In our homemade adaptation of Arkania/Aventuria, a very High Fantasy setting, we opted to leave all subraces the same, but we assigned different cultural backgrounds to each other.
For example, we had four dwarven etnia and all of them used Monster Coliseum's dwarf characteristic rolls. But each one of that subraces (Boroschim = Anvil Dwarves; Roroxim = Ore dwarves; Domadim = Brilliant dwarves & Brumborim = Hill dwarves) had is own cultural background.
Even half-orcs and half-elves followed this rule. If you wanted to be a half-elf, for example, you rolled elf or human characteristics (depending on that birthright prevailed) and then you chose the half-elf cultural background.
Interesting, I was about to propose backrounds too as an option..

I am still not confident in my knowledge of Legend to start writing my own....But I do have weapons and
cultural elements that half breeds in my world share in opposition to other full on races

Hmm I might try posting something here if people want to let me know what they think
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 pm

How would you go about designing traits in Legend?
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:57 pm

@stroval wrote:How would you go about designing traits in Legend?
Personally, I would look for an existing trait that functions similar to what you want and modify that - IMO it's always far better/easier to modify an existing /rule/trait/gift etc than to come up with one from scratch. However, a trait generally focus' on one specific function of the creature, giving it some form of special ability or attack. For aquatic versions of standard creatures (Elves and so on) you could do something like:

Amphibious: The creature is able to breathe both Air & Water, however, it must return to its preferred medium for at least one hour, within a number of hours equal to CON/2 or else suffer a level fatigue for each hour thereafter it remains in the secondary medium.These levels of fatigue are gained automatically. If a creature becomes Debilitated when not in its preferred medium it begins asphyxiating/drowning/suffocating as appropriate on a failed a Resilience test and must make a Resilience test every minute it remains in the secondary medium. Movement is reduced by 25% rounded up in the secondary medium. Example; A Sea-Elf with a CON of 16 and a MOV (Swim) of 8 must return to the water within 8 hours or suffer a level of fatigue for each hour or part thereof it remains on land where its MOV is 6. After a further 5 hours it is debilitated and must make a Resilience test each minute to avoid asphyxiating/drowning.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:11 am

DamonJynx wrote:
@stroval wrote:How would you go about designing traits in Legend?
Personally, I would look for an existing trait that functions similar to what you want and modify that - IMO it's always far better/easier to modify an existing /rule/trait/gift etc than to come up with one from scratch. However, a trait generally focus' on one specific function of the creature, giving it some form of special ability or attack. For aquatic versions of standard creatures (Elves and so on) you could do something like:

Amphibious: The creature is able to breathe both Air & Water, however, it must return to its preferred medium for at least one hour, within a number of hours equal to CON/2 or else suffer a level fatigue for each hour thereafter it remains in the secondary medium.These levels of fatigue are gained automatically. If a creature becomes Debilitated when not in its preferred medium it begins asphyxiating/drowning/suffocating as appropriate on a failed a Resilience test and must make a Resilience test every minute it remains in the secondary medium. Movement is reduced by 25% rounded up in the secondary medium. Example; A Sea-Elf with a CON of 16 and a MOV (Swim) of 8 must return to the water within 8 hours or suffer a level of fatigue for each hour or part thereof it remains on land where its MOV is 6. After a further 5 hours it is debilitated and must make a Resilience test each minute to avoid asphyxiating/drowning.
Thanks. Would you put a cap on the number of traits per race(or half-breed character) ?