New with Legend

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
soltakss
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: New with Legend

Postby soltakss » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 am

You can't go wrong with the PDFs.

If you download a PDF to text extractor then you can even use the OGC text to add to your own stuff.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html
Bifford
Banded Mongoose

Postby Bifford » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:33 pm

soltakss wrote: One thing that has surprised me reading this forum over the years is the number of people who ask how to use non-human races in Legend. That in itself doesn't surprise me, but the fact that it is seen to be difficult, that is what surprises me. Perhaps it's because I have played RQ for an awfully long time and have had several non-human PCs and have gamed alongside many more non-human PCs, it has always seemed very easy to use non-humans in RQ, and by extension Legend. Having said that, maybe it is easy once you have done it a few times and difficult at first.

So, what I would do with non-human races is:

For homebrews, I normally do something like this:

Once you have those then the rest of the setting tends to fall into place.
Soltakss, you really do need to copy and paste all that info into a new thread titled something like "Advice for creating homebrew races and settings."

I think it could be well received :D

Bifford
soltakss
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby soltakss » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm putting together a Legend supplement as we speak.

It should contain notes on how to use races as PCs, some sample races with backgrounds etc, how to create new races and homebrew ideas.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:54 pm

MoL 2 is on hold at the moment - I've been transferred (as some of you know) to sorting out SGB.
"There are some things best left unsaid, many things best left unknown!"

Current Project -- Legend: Sheoloth

Darren W. Pearce - Amazon Author Page

Drivethru RPG
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:04 pm

When will MoL become available again to purchase in physical form from the shop here?
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:05 pm

I'd probably ask Matthew that one, I'm just a freelancer :)

Drivethru RPG
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:18 pm

Thank you.

0kay I ve ordered the variant cover core and Arms of Legend through the shop here. :)

Though seeing as to how excited I am, I have a few more questions if you'd bear with me:

How magical can the item system become with the default rules in AoL?
Is it a toolkit system or just a few options? Is there a chapter with advice for the newbie Legend GM?

I am not asking because I am looking for a D&D substitute system(not really interested in d20 variations anymore).
What I would like, is to create a high fantasy setting with its own unique flavour reflected in its items.

So I am really wondering if this book will cover my needs

Thanks once again
Last edited by @stroval on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:29 pm

Quite powerful, but remember you can alter any rule to fit your needs. Enchantment does cost a sorcerer permanent magic points though.

Drivethru RPG
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:33 pm

The Wolf wrote:Quite powerful, but remember you can alter any rule to fit your needs. Enchantment does cost a sorcerer permanent magic points though.
How does that affect items found on a quest or bought in a shop? Is there an equivalent rule for balance?
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:01 am

I would assume that the item found on a quest was enchanted by a specific sorcerer, who invested magic points into said item. A spell will be bound into that item at a specific Magnitude such as a Ring of Bladesharp 3 (from the book). It may have cost that sorcerer x-magic points to bind that spell into the ring, those are points he personally has invested and cannot get back until that enchantment is broken/the ring destroyed.

You can also Tap MP from others with the spell Tap, or use Magic Point crystals (in Arms again) to provide a source.

So your balance is achieved by numerous factors, one of them being the MP total a sorcerer has in the first place. I recommend buying Arms of Legend since it has a lot of good stuff inside.

Gladiators and Samurai of Legend are both books I have been involved in with the conversion to Legend.

Drivethru RPG
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:12 pm

The Wolf wrote:I would assume that the item found on a quest was enchanted by a specific sorcerer, who invested magic points into said item. A spell will be bound into that item at a specific Magnitude such as a Ring of Bladesharp 3 (from the book). It may have cost that sorcerer x-magic points to bind that spell into the ring, those are points he personally has invested and cannot get back until that enchantment is broken/the ring destroyed.

You can also Tap MP from others with the spell Tap, or use Magic Point crystals (in Arms again) to provide a source.

So your balance is achieved by numerous factors, one of them being the MP total a sorcerer has in the first place. I recommend buying Arms of Legend since it has a lot of good stuff inside.

Gladiators and Samurai of Legend are both books I have been involved in with the conversion to Legend.
Ι see, so there are options. :)

One last question: If the MP cost is removed(but some other cost introduced, like wealth or maybe a MP cost that is regained after a considerable amount of time),would that upset the game balance in your opinion?

Thank you
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:24 pm

In my own opinion, I am all for variant systems and ways of doing things. For example you could literally have a proportionate amount of wealth vanish in the enchantment of the item. I understand the reasons why MP is invested into the item and can only be recovered after said item is destroyed/disenchanted, but there is nothing stopping you from changing the way things work and letting a sorcerer regain their MP back after an amount of time.

Though I would be tempted just to use magic point crystals myself so that I don't lose MP in the first place. I'd say try it, see how it works for you in terms of game balance and go from there. I'm not much for hard/fast rules in my gaming these days - in fact one of my favourite rules from RPGs is the golden rule which states the rules are basically guidelines, nothing is set in stone.

If you are going to introduce a base cost = enchantment system then perhaps think about taking the MP cost and making it something like MP are = the coins expended x 100SP or 1000SP if you want to make enchantment more costly.

So you pop 3 MP into an item - then 300 (or 3000) SP worth of wealth is expended in doing so.

Drivethru RPG
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:11 pm

The Wolf wrote:In my own opinion, I am all for variant systems and ways of doing things. For example you could literally have a proportionate amount of wealth vanish in the enchantment of the item. I understand the reasons why MP is invested into the item and can only be recovered after said item is destroyed/disenchanted, but there is nothing stopping you from changing the way things work and letting a sorcerer regain their MP back after an amount of time.

Though I would be tempted just to use magic point crystals myself so that I don't lose MP in the first place. I'd say try it, see how it works for you in terms of game balance and go from there. I'm not much for hard/fast rules in my gaming these days - in fact one of my favourite rules from RPGs is the golden rule which states the rules are basically guidelines, nothing is set in stone.

If you are going to introduce a base cost = enchantment system then perhaps think about taking the MP cost and making it something like MP are = the coins expended x 100SP or 1000SP if you want to make enchantment more costly.

So you pop 3 MP into an item - then 300 (or 3000) SP worth of wealth is expended in doing so.
Thanks for the reply.

I wont be sure until I get the book,but I think the idea of MP recovery over time interests me more than the wealth option.

Depending on the enchantment; ranging from easy to taxing the amount of time needed for the mage to recover could differ.

So for a basic magic item, it could take hours or a mere day and for something epic a mage could need a full year or more.
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:52 am

MP recovery over time is definitely a possible direction. It all depends on the flavour you want your world/game/setting to have really. The sky is the limit :)

Drivethru RPG
RangerDan
Mongoose

Postby RangerDan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:17 am

A third alternative you could consider is permanent sacrifice of POW to power enchantments (ie imbue the item with its own POW score). This is thematically similar to the D&D rule of using xp points to create magic items.

Comparied to MP loss, this makes magic items:
A) More expensive/risky to make.
B) More likely to last beyond the death of the creator (it is open/up-to-the-GM if with the MP option this is the case).

POW can be raised back up through normal play with expenditure of Experience Rolls.
Alternatively, perhaps evil sorcerors can combine the creation of magic items with the Tap POW spell...
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Or use a sacrifice (from Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic) to provide the POW/MP... for the truly villainous only, of course :twisted:
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dan True » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Take a look at my Eberron conversion for Legend below. It might give you some inspiration to apply monetary costs to enchantment.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:05 pm

Thank you all!

I will return to discuss specifics when I ve received and read the book :)
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Books arrived today!

(in the meantime I also bought Monsters of Legend as a pdf)

I do wonder how the alternate cover looks darker than the online pics I ve seen..

I guess random results of printing?
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Just as likely to be your monitor/screen not displaying the colour correctly. That's why you get expensive screens and colour matching profiles to allow actual colours to be displayed properly for publishing applications.
My Getting started with Legend file including a suggested starting adventure.

My Romano-British Game setting.