New with Legend

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
@stroval
Stoat

New with Legend

Postby @stroval » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Hello all,this is Val

Been roleplaying ever since I was ten,now in my late twenties.
I ve used Mongoose books before and I really like the effort made in each product. Plus its a matter of pride for me supporting a big European company whenever I can. And especially a UK one :)

I recently purchased Legend as a pdf, but from what I am seeing I think I will get a physical copy as well 8)

I have a few questions for the system gurus here,but seeing as I am a new member here, please bear with me in case I mess it up or ask about something covered in another thread.Btw I am halfway through the book but really excited...

0kay enough with the chatter
My questions are:

Since I want to use Legend with my homebrew world I am wondering:

1) is there an official alternate magical system in one of the supplements? I am looking for a freeform one.
2) Plans for non-human racial packages ? My world is heavy with other races
3)a homebrewers guide?

Thats it for now.
Thank you folks
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: New with Legend

Postby alex_greene » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:37 pm

@stroval wrote:I recently purchased Legend as a pdf, but from what I am seeing I think I will get a physical copy as well 8)
Highly recommend it. I have three of the series in hardcopy - Legend Core Rulebook, Arms of Legend and Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic.
@stroval wrote:Btw I am halfway through the book but really excited...
Good to hear.
@stroval wrote:Since I want to use Legend with my homebrew world I am wondering:

1) is there an official alternate magical system in one of the supplements? I am looking for a freeform one.
3)a homebrewers guide?
1) Nothing official, but if you look at the Sorcery rules you will see how it can be retooled to a freeform system with a few tweaks here and there, using the existing spells as exemplars.
2) I have never seen anything tooled for non-humans. The closest is the half dozen humanoid races featured in Monsters of Legend - I would like to see this addressed in a sequel. Perhaps MoL II or MoL III, yet to be released but apparently in the pipeline, might have something;
3) Nothing so far. Something else I would either dearly love to obtain - or would dearly love to be paid by Mongoose to write for them.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:23 pm

alex_greene wrote:
@stroval wrote:I recently purchased Legend as a pdf, but from what I am seeing I think I will get a physical copy as well 8)
Highly recommend it. I have three of the series in hardcopy - Legend Core Rulebook, Arms of Legend and Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic.
@stroval wrote:Btw I am halfway through the book but really excited...
Good to hear.
@stroval wrote:Since I want to use Legend with my homebrew world I am wondering:

3)a homebrewers guide?
1) Nothing official, but if you look at the Sorcery rules you will see how it can be retooled to a freeform system with a few tweaks here and there, using the existing spells as exemplars.
2) I have never seen anything tooled for non-humans. The closest is the half dozen humanoid races featured in Monsters of Legend - I would like to see this addressed in a sequel. Perhaps MoL II or MoL III, yet to be released but apparently in the pipeline, might have something;
3) Nothing so far. Something else I would either dearly love to obtain - or would dearly love to be paid by Mongoose to write for them.
Thank you for your response.

1) Has anyone tried this on the forums yet?
2)What kind of humanoid races are we talking about? Standard fare? As my players love their elves and dwarves etc and insist on including them
3)Any fan-made guidelines here?

Cheers
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:38 pm

@stroval wrote:Thank you for your response.

1) Has anyone tried this on the forums yet?
2)What kind of humanoid races are we talking about? Standard fare? As my players love their elves and dwarves etc and insist on including them
3)Any fan-made guidelines here?
1) Not yet. Working on it.
2) Monsters of Legend has the standard fantasy humanoid races - Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, Goblins, Orcs, Giants, Vampires, Werewolves ...
3) This forum is probably the best place for help here. You'll find discussions on existing settings, on RuneQuest settings (RQ being the predecessor to Legend), on the Elric and Conan, and Age of Treason and Renaissance and Clockwork & Chivalry settings - even mentions of Harnworld, D&D, Pathfinder and Traveller and Onyx Path Publishing's World of Darkness, if you wait long enough.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:51 pm

As for the Sorcery freeform ... This is just off the top of my head, mind you:-

- Intensity is a rating applied to a Sorcery spell. It is equal to 1/10 the caster's Sorcery (Grimoire) skill, rounding up. A caster with a Sorcery (Black Book of Death) of 46% casts spells with a maximum Intensity 5 (this is how it is described in Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic; in Legend Core Rulebook, Intensity is never named, only described as "one level of effect per 10% of the caster's Sorcery (Grimoire) skill").

- Intensity measures the maximum scale that the spell can affect; a maximum of 3 of the appropriate characteristic points per Intensity, or a maximum of 1 cubic metre of a substance per Intensity. The above caster can affect a maximum characteristic of 15 or a maximum of 5 cubic metres of inanimate substance.

- Spells with a Range of Touch can be Evaded; spells with a longer Range cannot be dodged if the target(s) are still in line of sight when the spell casting is completed. Once struck by the spell, characters resist the effect with Persistence (if the spell affects INT, CON, CHA, emotions, thoughts, volition, consciousness etc) or Resilience (if the spell has physical effects, such as shapeshifting, causing damage, possibly causing death etc).

Pretty much every single Sorcery spell fits within that framework, so if your characters had to come up with freeform magic that was not listed in the core rulebook, you can still use those existing spells' guidelines to inform you and your players of how much damage a spell inflicts, whether it can affect the particular target the spell is being aimed at (e.g. if the spell has Intensity 5 and affects the victim's STR, it won't have any effect if the victim's STR is 16+), whether it inflicts a permanent change such as healing or damage, and so on.

Remember that Sorcery's already pretty freeform in its way, with the Manipulation skill and tables, and combined with the rules for Concert casting in Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic to enable groups of casters to combine their power into gigantic spells, etc.
Last edited by alex_greene on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:49 am

alex_greene wrote:As for the Sorcery freeform ... This is just off the top of my head, mind you:-

- Intensity is a rating applied to a Sorcery spell. It is equal to 1/10 the caster's Sorcery (Grimoire) skill, rounding up. A caster with a Sorcery (Black Book of Death) of 46% casts spells with a maximum Intensity 5 (this is how it is described in Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic; in Legend Core Rulebook, Intensity is never named, only described as "one level of effect per 10% of the caster's Sorcery (Grimoire) skill").
- Intensity measures the maximum scale that the spell can affect; a maximum of 3 of the appropriate characteristic points per Intensity, or a maximum of 1 cubic metre of a substance per Intensity. The above caster can affect a maximum characteristic of 15 or a maximum of 5 cubic metres of inanimate substance.
- Spells with a Range of Touch can be Evaded; spells with a longer Range cannot be dodged if the target(s) are not in line of sight. Once struck by the spell, characters resist the effect with Persistence (if the spell affects INT, CON, CHA, emotions, thoughts, volition, consciousness etc) or Resilience )if the spell has physical effects, such as shapeshifting, causing damage, possibly causing death etc).
Pretty much every single Sorcery spell fits within that framework, so if your characters had to come up with freeform magic that was not listed in the core rulebook, you can still use those existing spells' guidelines to inform you and your players of how much damage a spell inflicts, whether it can affect the particular target the spell is being aimed at (e.g. if the spell has Intensity 5 and affects the victim's STR, it won't have any effect if the victim's STR is 16+), whether it inflicts a permanent change such as healing or damage, and so on.
Remember that Sorcery's already pretty freeform in its way, with the Manipulation skill and tables, and combined with the rules for Concert casting in Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic to enable groups of casters to combine their power into gigantic spells, etc.
Thank you once again! You ve been most helpful with everything
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 pm

alex_greene wrote:As for the Sorcery freeform ...
Hmmmm....I wonder if it might be possible to combine some elements of Sorcery from Legend with ideas drawn from Green Ronin's True20 RPG to create a truly freeform spellcasting system. Given that both sources are OGC, it might be possible to play around with this idea...
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Prime_Evil wrote:
alex_greene wrote:As for the Sorcery freeform ...
Hmmmm....I wonder if it might be possible to combine some elements of Sorcery from Legend with ideas drawn from Green Ronin's True20 RPG to create a truly freeform spellcasting system. Given that both sources are OGC, it might be possible to play around with this idea...
I am not familiar with True20.. is it -almost- freeform?
jux
Stoat

Postby jux » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:23 pm

When Advanced Sorcery for BRP gets published, I believe it will have some free-form magic there. I think it will be quite compatible with Legend system.
http://www.chaosium.com/article.php?story_id=513
Loz
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Loz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:56 pm

When Advanced Sorcery for BRP gets published, I believe it will have some free-form magic there. I think it will be quite compatible with Legend system.
Indeed, this is the sorcery system I developed for the old 'Unknown East' sourcebook for the Elric game many years ago. Using it with Legend or RQ6 won't be an issue and it is a very freeform approach to casting magic.
What am I supposed to say?
Where are the words to answer you,
When you talk that way?

Rush - Spindrift
Bilharzia
Weasel

Postby Bilharzia » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Non Humans - there has quite a lot been published, but mostly for Mongoose RQ II, and older versions of RuneQuest. The MRQII material is essentially the same as Legend, the older RuneQuest stuff usually needs a bit of conversion but not much.

The Design Mechanism has quite a few $1 pdf publications about non-humans (elfs, dwarfs, trolls, and er, ducks) even though they are for Glorantha you could easily use most of the material in other settings:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php ... rs_id=4057

TDM has recently published RQ6 so if you like Legend it might be worth investigating. RQ6 has made a comprehensive revision of all the magic systems and while this doesn't include a 'freeform' system you might be interested in it just for the detail in the magic chapter.

There is also the spirit magic rules released as a free addon to Legend:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/l ... tmagic.pdf

And Blood Magic for Legend:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/ ... magic.html

If you can find a second hand copy of Trollpak (published before you were born!?), it's probably one of the best rpg sourcepacks produced for a nonhuman race:
http://www.rpggeek.com/rpgitem/57795/trollpak
http://grognardia.blogspot.co.uk/2010/0 ... llpak.html
soltakss
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby soltakss » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 pm

@stroval wrote:I have a few questions for the system gurus here,but seeing as I am a new member here, please bear with me in case I mess it up or ask about something covered in another thread.Btw I am halfway through the book but really excited...
This is a very friendly forum, so nobody will mind if anyone asks questions that have been asked before - we all do it as we can't always find things in the forums.

By the way, and this applies to anybody who reads these forums, never be afraid to ask any questions. The worst you will get is "Don't Know" but you will almost certainly either get a good answer or a good discussion about possible answers. We don't bite!
As a matter of interest, what kind of homebrew are you looking to create?
@stroval wrote:1) is there an official alternate magical system in one of the supplements? I am looking for a freeform one.
Blood Magic has an alternate magic system that is based on blood sacrifice. Other than that, Legend has Common Magic, Divine Magic and Sorcery as three different types of magic.

What kinds of things are you thinking of?
@stroval wrote:2) Plans for non-human racial packages ? My world is heavy with other races
Other people have mentioned that older MRQ supplements have stats and backgrounds for other races. They would all be useful for a Legend game, even though they were designed for RQ and Glorantha. They could easily be adapted to a homebrew setting.

One thing that has surprised me reading this forum over the years is the number of people who ask how to use non-human races in Legend. That in itself doesn't surprise me, but the fact that it is seen to be difficult, that is what surprises me. Perhaps it's because I have played RQ for an awfully long time and have had several non-human PCs and have gamed alongside many more non-human PCs, it has always seemed very easy to use non-humans in RQ, and by extension Legend. Having said that, maybe it is easy once you have done it a few times and difficult at first.

So, what I would do with non-human races is:
1. Generate characteristics based on similar races - Are they as clever as humans, or cleverer or more stupid, are they bigger/stronger/quicker/more charismatic and so on. Use the characteristic ranges for other non-humans from Monsters of Legend for comparison.
2. Decide what Traits the race has - can they see in the dark, can they walk up walls, are they afraid of spiders? Invent new traits if the ones you want aren't in the books.
3. If you are using point builds for Legend, work out how many points suit that particular race and don't necessarily use the ones for Legend humans.
4. Decide what professions that race would have and use the standard Legend rules for those professions. Build new professions in the same way as the ones in the book. Never be afraid of having new professions - as long as they follow the same kind of rules as the rest, then they should be fine.
5. Decide what kind of magic the new race uses, if it uses magic at all. Do they worship deities, if so what are they? Are they animists who honour the spirits, ancestor-worshippers, sorcerers or just users of little cantrips? Do they have special abilities?
6. For fluff, decide what the race looks like - is it humanoid or does it have special hit locations, what colour is it, does it have genders, if so are they male/female or something else, how do they reproduce, what societies do they have and so on and so forth.
7. Finally, and most importantly, write them up using the OGL, make them OGC and publish them either on a website or through Lulu or through some other means so that we can all share them. :D
@stroval wrote:3)a homebrewers guide?
Not that I am aware of.

For homebrews, I normally do something like this:
1. What kind of genre it is - Fantasy, SciFi, Adventure, Pulp, Pirates, Horror etc
2. Where the setting is
3. What cultures are in the setting?
4. What is important in the setting?
5. What do you want the PCs to do in the setting?
6. Where are things? I.e. a map of some kind.

Once you have those then the rest of the setting tends to fall into place.

Don't forget that you don't need to have a setting mapped out before the game starts. Begin with one place and map things out when the PCs get to other places. Fill things in as you go along. Don't be afraid to improvise or wing it.

Hope this helps.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Thank you all!

The response has been overwhelming. A friendly forum indeed :)

For now I only have the core book pdf (and no experience with RQ) so I guess when I get Monsters of Legend it will be easier to homebrew material

My world is a water planet with myriads of islands on it

there are airships and various vessels and many races. From the familiar (Elves,Dwarves and Catfolk though they are a bit tweaked compared to their dnd counterparts) to the more bizarre(intelligent shadows for instance) ah also fairies (the post office is operated by them)

And of course the Gnomes which are closer to their attitude in their origins as the Earth Elementals of Greek mythology(they are scientific minds ) but I ve added an extra element of clockwork and steam-magic to their culture

The free-form magic I had in mind is basically designing your own spells,not unlike the traditions system in Desolation I guess...
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:06 am

Loz wrote:
Indeed, this is the sorcery system I developed for the old 'Unknown East' sourcebook for the Elric game many years ago. Using it with Legend or RQ6 won't be an issue and it is a very freeform approach to casting magic.
Yet another reason to look forward to this book....
soltakss
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby soltakss » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:01 pm

@stroval wrote:For now I only have the core book pdf (and no experience with RQ) so I guess when I get Monsters of Legend it will be easier to homebrew material
Yes, you almost certainly need Monsters of Legend - it adds a lot of nonhumans to play with.
@stroval wrote:My world is a water planet with myriads of islands on it
In that case you probably need to get Pirates of Legend as well - it has good ship rules and lots of atmosphere for pirates but can be used for any maritime setting.
@stroval wrote:The free-form magic I had in mind is basically designing your own spells,not unlike the traditions system in Desolation I guess...
In Legend, the spells are normally explicitly defined, which is good as it shows what they can do, but very restrictive. You might be better having names for spells but describing the effects rather than explicitly defining them - that way you could have a very flexible system.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 pm

soltakss wrote:Yes, you almost certainly need Monsters of Legend - it adds a lot of nonhumans to play with.
@stroval wrote:My world is a water planet with myriads of islands on it
In that case you probably need to get Pirates of Legend as well - it has good ship rules and lots of atmosphere for pirates but can be used for any maritime setting.
Arms of Legend has the basic ship rules, along with a long list of different types of ships and boats, from galleons to canoes, pp. 97 - 118. Pirates of Legend expands upon that with rules for pirate heroic abilities, Vices, Reputation, crew skill rolls, crew morale, crew roles and their effect on ship's crew skills, crew quality and of course ship-to-ship and hand-to-hand combat on board.
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:47 am

Thank you :)

Btw someone told me that I better purchase Monster Coliseum over Monsters of Legend for the non-human player races. Do you agree with this opinion?

And If its proven to be the case, would I be able to use the rules without tinkering?
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:39 am

If you purchase the MGP RQII material from DriveThruRPG http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php ... rs_id=4057 then you can pick up the PDF of Monster Coliseum for USD1.

MoL is most of the RQII Monster coliseum reworked into the smaller format with the Gloranthan creatures and the gladiatorial stuff removed. TBH unless you want a big hardback book that doesn't fit sizewise with your Legend book I'd go with the MC PDF just for the extra creatures not for any non-humans, most of which will be Gloranthan stuff outside the usual Elf, Dwarf and Halfling.

The actual creature stats are no different between the two works.
My Getting started with Legend file including a suggested starting adventure.

My Romano-British Game setting.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:06 pm

strega wrote:MoL is most of the RQII Monster coliseum reworked into the smaller format with the Gloranthan creatures and the gladiatorial stuff removed.
More monsters are promised in sequels to Monsters of Legend, there are rules for duels in Pirates of Legend and all the gladiatorial stuff is in the recently-released Gladiators of Legend.
@stroval
Stoat

Postby @stroval » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 pm

alex_greene wrote:
strega wrote:MoL is most of the RQII Monster coliseum reworked into the smaller format with the Gloranthan creatures and the gladiatorial stuff removed.
More monsters are promised in sequels to Monsters of Legend, there are rules for duels in Pirates of Legend and all the gladiatorial stuff is in the recently-released Gladiators of Legend.
Thank you, once again I appreciate the responce.

I will buy the pdfs but the way I see it, I think I prefer to invest in Legend now rather than Fantasycraft(my original toolkit-system option).

So I can see myself picking up the physical copies as well. They are really cheap anyway