[MRQ1] Any books have Professions that provided Sorcery skil

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
DigitalMage
Banded Mongoose

[MRQ1] Any books have Professions that provided Sorcery skil

Postby DigitalMage » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Apologies if this should have gone in the Other Roleplaying Games sub-forum but I figured Legend / MRQII player may be familiar with MRQ1 as well.

For those familiar with Mongoose Runequest (the original, not II), did any of the books provide new Professions, or rules to amend existing Professions, so that a character could be created with Sorcery skills? Or can you theoretically, using the RAW professions, only begin play with RuneCasting?

I have pretty much all the PDFs, I just haven't read them yet, so if there are such rules if anyone can provide a page reference that would be cool too.

Thanks!
Last edited by DigitalMage on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soltakss
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: [MRQ1] Any books have Professions that provided Sorcery

Postby soltakss » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 am

Without checking all my books, I don't think they did. This is one of the holes in the MRQ1 material - sorcery seemed to be bolted on top and was not integrated properly in the professions.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html
DigitalMage
Banded Mongoose

Postby DigitalMage » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks, unless anyone else can chime in I guess I may just have to allow the free starting skill points be used to buy Sorcery Advanced skills.
Harshlax
Mongoose

Postby Harshlax » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:36 pm

As I recall all the magic-using professions in MRQ1 had a number of Runecasting skills as written. You could always replace 2 of those with the appropriate Magical Skills for Sorcery, Divine Magic etc.
Victor of the "I Bought, We Won"
kurgan84
Mongoose

Postby kurgan84 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 pm

DigitalMage wrote: For those familiar with Mongoose Runequest (the original, not II), did any of the books provide new Professions, or rules to amend existing Professions, so that a character could be created with Sorcery skills? Or can you theoretically, using the RAW professions, only begin play with RuneCasting?

I have pretty much all the PDFs, I just haven't read them yet, so if there are such rules if anyone can provide a page reference that would be cool too.

Thanks!
Yes ! In Runequest SpellBook, page 8 for "New Magical Professions" and page 13 for "Alternate Bonuses for Earlier Magical Professions"
DigitalMage
Banded Mongoose

Postby DigitalMage » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:29 am

kurgan84 wrote: Yes ! In Runequest SpellBook, page 8 for "New Magical Professions" and page 13 for "Alternate Bonuses for Earlier Magical Professions"
Much obliged! Though I am not quite sure what the alternate Shaman profession offers.
drdentista
Stoat

Postby drdentista » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:52 am

[/quote]
Yes ! In Runequest SpellBook, page 8 for "New Magical Professions" and page 13 for "Alternate Bonuses for Earlier Magical Professions"[/quote]

+1