Need help creating some Demonic Cults for my Legend game.

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Chorpa
Shrew

Need help creating some Demonic Cults for my Legend game.

Postby Chorpa » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:56 pm

I am in the process of creating some Demonic Cults in my home brew campaign. The focus of the cults are 3 Demon Lords stolen from the ICE module Creatures and Monsters since my campaign world was first created with Rolemaster in mind but have recently been ported over to Legend.

Two of the Demon Lords have claimed "Spheres of Influence" and the third one have not. My first thought was to make the cults following the ones with "Spheres of Influence" divine cults and the remaining one a Sorcery Order. But after browsing through the spells in the Legend book I am not so sure any more since I can find more spells from the Sorcery Spells that fits the idea I had.

The Demon Lords are:
  • Maleskari is the Demon Lord of Death and Undeath.
    Sith is a very powerful Demon Lord, being the Lord of the Dark.
    Yrrigav is the least awesome of the three Demon Lords presented, but is still extremely powerful. He claims no “sphere of influence” like the other two, but still commands respect and instills fear in all but the most powerful beings.
Either way I thought I would enlist the help of the forum members to whip up these cults into something more concrete. Any input and suggestions are welcome!
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Need help creating some Demonic Cults for my Legend game

Postby Hopeless » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:20 pm

The Demon Lords are:
Maleskari is the Demon Lord of Death and Undeath.
Sith is a very powerful Demon Lord, being the Lord of the Dark.
Yrrigav is the least awesome of the three Demon Lords presented, but is still extremely powerful. He claims no “sphere of influence” like the other two, but still commands respect and instills fear in all but the most powerful beings
Wasn't there something in the Cults of Glorantha regarding a troll cult of the dark?

So would Yrrigav be some kind of fear demon or power over such beings?
Chorpa
Shrew

Postby Chorpa » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Hopeless wrote:Wasn't there something in the Cults of Glorantha regarding a troll cult of the dark?
I wouldn't know. I just recently got into Legend and do not own that book or anything else Glorantha related. Glorantha just never seemed to spark my inspiration and stick with me.
Hopeless wrote:So would Yrrigav be some kind of fear demon or power over such beings?
I am gonna put my neck out and post some information of the description of Yrrigav from the C&M book. :mrgreen:
Description: This foul being appears as a huge, muscular male Gorgon with large bat-like wings, and a long, barbed tail. He is 10' tall, and wields a flaming two-handed sword.
Lifestyle: Yrrigav is the least awesome of the three Demon Lords presented here, but is still extremely powerful. He is accompanied everywhere he goes by a Terrorite Demon, and many other servants. He has been known to ride a Dragon Construct as a mount. He claims no “sphere of influence” like the other two, but still commands respect and instills fear in all but the most powerful beings. His agenda is unknown, but one thing is certain—his power is growing.
That is the description from the book and like to keep it close to that. But some tweaking is allowed. For example I had no plans on using Terrorite Demons and Dragon Constructs in my campaign. But some other kind of Demonic follower and a Demonic Dragon to replace the construct. ;-) Just need to take the Dragon from Monsters of Legend and slap on some chaotic features and voila a new appropriate dragon mount for Yrrigav. Was also thinking of replacing the Terrorite Demon with a Demonic Gorgon as servant (Gorgon with Chaotic Features slapped on). But all this is another topic, the stuff I need is input on was how to create a suitable cult for these fellas but hopefully now you have a better image of Yrrigav. Since he doesn't have a "sphere of influence" so his followers/cult should be quite easy to create. Was thinking about a cult/order that grants powers similar to what he can do. Many traits can be pulled from his physical description to find powers related to those. Flying (Bat Wings), making weapons burst into flames (flaming sword), inflict poisonous wound (barbed tail), cause fear (fearsome appearance) and boost STR (big muscles).
torus
Mongoose

Postby torus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:35 am

Definitely worth looking at Cults of the Young Kingdoms for ideas about attributes and practices of cults, as well as some specific examples which you could mine for your setting. That's what I do - I don't run in the Elric setting but use elements of adventures etc with the names changed.
Chorpa
Shrew

Postby Chorpa » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:59 am

torus wrote:Definitely worth looking at Cults of the Young Kingdoms for ideas about attributes and practices of cults, as well as some specific examples which you could mine for your setting. That's what I do - I don't run in the Elric setting but use elements of adventures etc with the names changed.
I have gotten that recommendation before and all the Elric books are on my to get list! Even if I end up not playing in the setting I do love Elric/Moorcock and wouldn't mind stealing stuff from there.
Mankcam
Stoat

Postby Mankcam » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:59 am

There were som Chaos cults for Glorantha that could also be directly ported over. I would suggest checking out the MRQ2 Cults of Glorantha book, I think it still may be very cheap on Drivethru Rpg. If you mix that up with the Demon rules from Stormbringer you'll have some good demonology cults for your setting.