Elric Enchantment

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Big Orc
Stoat

Elric Enchantment

Postby Big Orc » Fri May 04, 2012 8:15 pm

According to the EoM Cults of the Young Kingdoms one of the Gifts for the Cult of Strashaa is Enchantment. I cannot find any mention of this in any of my Legend or EoM books. Should it be Enhancment or is it in an RQ2 book?
Listern, whatever is behind this door I can handle it....... aggggghhhhh
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Elric Enchantment

Postby tarkhan bey » Fri May 04, 2012 9:34 pm

I think it's a leftover from MRQ1. The original Magic of the YK had a selection of magic items. These could be gained by taking the Enchantment reward, although often only temporarily or with caveats attached because some of them were quite powerful.
I would just invent something. A crystal decanter that purifies water and makes it fit to drink springs to mind. :)
Olaus Petrus
Banded Mongoose

Postby Olaus Petrus » Sat May 05, 2012 10:03 am

I heard that one of the upcoming Elric books will have magic items (can't remember which one).

Meanwhile I would suggest that if you create powerful magic items yourself, using those should come with a price. These are some of my own thoughts how it should work: using magic item can cause insanity or it drains power from it's user. Personally I believe that wise person wouldn't touch to items of Chaos, Law and Balance and you can invent all kinds of nasty stuff which happens if you use those items too much, even if the item itself isn't evil for it's user it might attract the attention of people who have magical knowledge. Alternatively you can dictate that magic item needs rare and expensive herbs and poisons and long rituals to activate items magical powers. More powerful the item is more carefully you should balance it.
franckflo
Shrew

Postby franckflo » Mon May 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Not sure it it's relevant to the kind of Enchantment practiced in the Young Kingdoms, but there is an Enchantment chapter in the Arms of Legend addon, page 139.
franckflo
Shrew

Postby franckflo » Mon May 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Not sure it it's relevant to the kind of Enchantment practiced in the Young Kingdoms, but there is an Enchantment chapter in the Arms of Legend addon, page 139.
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Mon May 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Olaus Petrus wrote:I heard that one of the upcoming Elric books will have magic items (can't remember which one).
Not a lot. I have added three types of potion and a minor magic item, though a villain has another three magic/special items.
Olaus Petrus
Banded Mongoose

Postby Olaus Petrus » Tue May 08, 2012 10:33 am

franckflo wrote:Not sure it it's relevant to the kind of Enchantment practiced in the Young Kingdoms, but there is an Enchantment chapter in the Arms of Legend addon, page 139.
Enchantment rules of Arms of Legend or Blood Magic are for standard Legend magic. Elric has it's own rune magic, but naturally nothing prevents GM from using those rules if his campaign uses also Legend style sorcery or blood magic.

Easiest enchantment to create in Elric would be runesword or other item which has pemanently active rune. Making other enchantments requires bit of work, because many Moorcock's magic items like Stormbringer and Runestaff are clearly too powerful (unless one of the player characters is incarnation of the Eternal Champion) and you shouldn't give players easy access to stuff like Horn of Fate, Red Amulet or Holy Grail either. Personally I think it's best to use those as an inspiration and invent similar magic items when there's a need for such plot device in the campaign. However I would stronly limit how often those can be used and even take those away from the players once they have served their purpose.

Naturally it's possible to create lesser magic items, but those shouldn't be too common. Personally I would use as a guideline the principles from Elric's potion chapter, which says that magical incredients are rare and expensive. So if potions are rare, then other magic items should be even rarer.
havercake lad wrote:Not a lot. I have added three types of potion and a minor magic item, though a villain has another three magic/special items.
Thanks for clarification.